2 Batteries on one tender?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tomdubz, Nov 4, 2019.

1. tomdubz

tomdubz getting there Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a Battery Tender Plus single output charger.

The two batteries in play:
    YTZ14S 12V 11.2Ah
    ES5LBS 12V 4.5Ah

They're both AGM

I'm thinking about using this thing but I have no idea if it's effectively series or parallel:
    [​IMG]
    Pretty sure I need parallel per the Battery Tender FAQ page here: http://www.batterytender.com/faq/products

Someone tell me I'm an idiot.
  2. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:
    That would almost have to be parallel.

As best as I can tell, the larger battery is going to require a longer charge period for a given amount of discharge (lowered voltage), and what the charger will "see" as it cycles charge current on and off won't be ideal for either battery.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bad idea. From the site you listed:

"The nominal battery voltages (i.e. 12V, 8V, 6V, 4V, 2V) must be the same on each battery, and the batteries must be the same lead acid type (flooded, AGM, or Gel Cell). Also the batteries must be close to the same size in terms of amp hour capacity, and they must be close to the same level of discharge. It is also a good idea that the batteries be approximately the same age and that they be in relatively the same general condition."

11.2 and 4.5 are NOT "close to the same size..." , so you CANNOT charge them together.

The cable is, I believe, best used for accessories from the SAE plug on your bike.

There's no need to keep a battery on the tender 24/7. If you switch it from one bike to the other every week of so, you should be fine.

Or buy another tender.
  4. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    I didn't want to start a new thread but...

Neighbor's car dead this morning. Put my charger on it and it went haywire. Volt meter said 1 Volt? Really dead.

Anyway after a while I though it was a goner but after a bit and jump start from another vehicle the 13V came back???

It that even possible?
  5. RetiredandRiding

Oddometer:
    Better to spend an extra 30 seconds to start a new post than hijack one that's UNRELATED.
    CopyCat, sieg and Boatman like this.
  6. tomdubz

Oddometer:
    Derp. Dern reading comprehension fails me again. Was only seeing what I wanted it to do. Thanks!
  7. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I got injured and couldn't ride for quite a while I made a cable so I could put 5 bikes on one charger. The issue I encountered was making sure the batteries are at very nearly the same voltage BEFORE you rig them together. If you fail to do that, fuses will blow. I would not attempt to recharge or fast-charge batteries this way at all. But if they are already charged, just to hold them at 13v, personally would probably do it again.

(Actually I have mostly switched to Lithium batteries now, they will hold a charge much longer and don't need to be put on a tender.)
  8. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Tried this one time, ended up with 2 dry dead batteries. YMMV but I'm not doing it again.
  9. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    IMO you are not an idiot. For several years I've used this to charge 2 batteries from my Battery Minder brand maintainer. It has worked just fine. https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer-SmarTECHnology-Multiple-Battery-Connector/dp/B00LHVUGXM

I don't know if it makes a difference what maintainer you use, but I use this solar one as my bikes/atv/mower are stored in a remote shed (https://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDe...ller-Desulfator/dp/B0000CEWWB?ref_=ast_sto_dp)
  10. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Yep, this. Don't parallel two batteries on one tender. And swapping every month would be plenty.

And actually, all you really need is a few hours on the tender once a month or so. This is similar to what I do; I hate leaving tenders hooked up. Too many burned out garages from that. I normally only leave them hooked up when I'm around for a few hours doing something else. Once the light turns green, disconnect and ignore for four or five weeks.
  11. tomdubz

Oddometer:
  12. RetiredandRiding

Oddometer: