2 Canucks, 2 KTM's and 2 Weeks in Baja

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mud Bucket, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Packed and headed out to town for breakfast recommended by the manager. Good little spot, for get the name, or even if it had a name?
    [​IMG]
    Not much but we always kept an eye on the bikes
    [​IMG]

After eating we filled the bikes at the gas station on the edge of town. I believe they only had 87 at this one.
    We slabbed it for 5 or 10 mins before cutting off and headed towards Punta San Hipolito again hugging the coast. Gravel road with pockets of sand just enough to keep you on your toes. The beaches went forever. Great view all way along with salt flats in between.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    La Bocana then off to Punta Abreojos. Just before entering the town the salt flats went of fro a long time. Smooth and tons of camping opportunities along the small sand nooks. Best would be an overlander truck with some kayaks for fishing. Next trip I think
    Most towns you hit always look like there was a hay day 20 or 30 years ago. Needles to say a break was in order. Temperature was climbing up.
    I was disappointed because by the National Geographic map showed offroad to Mex 1 then a tiny bit of slab to San Ignacio. The road is paved all the way. It was a hot one heading inland again.
    NSFW likes this.
  2. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. ultrasheen

ultrasheen vox nihili Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 8 pictures are up (posted 17 minutes ago) but all older pics are missing. You must be crossing a limit.
  4. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see a single pic anymore.... too bad cuz I luv Baja pics!!!!
  5. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ditto to what @Hill Climber posted, not seeing any pics now :(. Are you using a link from a gallery, or attaching the image?

Anyway, dig the updates!
    Mud Bucket likes this.
  6. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    Crap! I am attaching the ling from Google cloud. It works fine on my business computer and at first the home computer wasn't showing them but now it is. I'll look at another hosting site for the pictures[​IMG]
  7. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    Trip report continued

Heat was climbing as we ventured inland for sure. I was looking at the simple Amazon TPS sensor and is was interesting seeing the rear tire heat up to 49c and likewise the pressure climbed from 28 psi to 38 psi. One thing with the Mexican paved roads and highways is to be very wary of the left had turns where you can't see around them. There are 2 occasions the locals are driving passed the suggested speed limit in a rat bag of a car on baldinni tires. On this road was not paying attention or what ever, but definitely in our lane by 50%. My heart was pumping as I moved left hugging the edge then entering the corner hoping as I applied brakes the tires wouldn't give out on the edge sand. It was a moment !.
    All you could do is shake you head.
    We made it to San Ignasio, stopped at Rice and Beans and had a Margarita and some Shrimp soup stuff.... not a fan.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heat was a factor. We talked to the manager at the Blowhole hotel and we talked about Mulege and Hotel Hosienda. I guess the son has taken control since his father passed and it has gotten busier. I remember it with a courtyard perfect for parking the bikes. We took Mex one through the mountains and towards the coast, watching those left turn corners. lol. Went through Santa Rosalia.
    Coast was cooler and a great ride.
    The sun was setting and on the East side of Baja the sun sets 30 to 40 minutes earlier because of the mountain range. We rode into Mulege and went to the hotel. The owner said they were totally full. He said you won't find a place anywhere because of Easter long weekend. The town was buzzing with people, kiosks and other amusement carnival sort of entertainment. The gas station in town was closed and our fuel was getting low. We left heading South and found another Premex station. The station was busy with people. We got 87 fuel, 6 pack and a bottle of tequila. Had a beer and asked some locals where we could go. Most said there will be nothing close. Even all the beaches will be totally packed. It looked bleak.
    Finished up and rode South again. 10min into the ride I was looking down on my GPS as we were close to the water I saw trails heading down. I put on the blinkers, Claude had the same intuition but without the GPS. We turned in and went through a deactivated trail. 4x4 only style of road. It took us to a beach with nowbody there and we were only 10 or 15 minutes out of Mulege
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Great night for a fire. Lots of beach wood, or should I say beach cactus around
    [​IMG]
    Cool pic before bed. Super soft sand for the tent, almost didn't need a thermarest
    NSFW and BigJon01 like this.
  8. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    Some GPS tracks of the trip
    Day 4
    [​IMG]
    To Mikes Sky Ranch
    Day 5
    [​IMG]
    Mikes sky ranch through the mountains to El Rosario "Mama's"
    Day 6
    [​IMG]
    El Rosario to Catavina then to the Coast
    NSFW and roadcapDen like this.
  9. billmaxx97

billmaxx97 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last year (2017) me and my buddy ran into some guys from Brawley down in Baja. Turned out they were farmers from Brawley and we kept in touch with them. This year ( Jan 2018) , He let us park my truck and trailer at his farm for 10 days while we rode Baja. Cost us a 30 pack of beer.. Worked out great !
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That sounds awesome, nothing like finding a "hidden" gem like that after being turned away from a few places due to vacancy. I hope you're able to get the image hosting thing figured out, be awesome to see shots of that place as well as everything else.

Mulege is a place I can't wait to visit, have a friend with a place there and another friend in Posada. Really can't wait to get back down there, thanks for the update @Mud Bucket!
  11. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    Day 7
    [​IMG]
    Beach coast camping then down to the Blowhole hotel

Day 8
    [​IMG]
    Blowhole hotel to San Ignacio to Mulege to the Beach camping spot

Day 9
    [​IMG]
    Beach camping spot to Loreto, to Las Parras, San Jose De Comondu, San Isidro, Mex 53 to San Juanico (Scopion bay hotel) Great place but spendy $130 US per night for 2 beds 1 room. Well worth it
    NSFW likes this.
  12. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    I am going to try out Smug mug. Ill replace the first pics with them and see how they go.

This beach was a total hidden gem. I would supply up in Mulege and stay there everytime
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Just checked the 1st post and the pics are showing...woot! Going to re-read it starting from the beginning now :D:D
    Mud Bucket likes this.
  14. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    Well that was a lot of work converting it all to Smug Mug. Hope this is showing for everyone!
    I'll Keep going

I forgot to mention there was several people that mentioned not to be on the road at night on Easter weekend. I would imagine all the crosses we have past are most like from the weekend of drunk drivers, or self liquid medicated drivers. Anyways good to get off the roads
  15. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    DAY 9

Woke up to a great sleep. The East side is great for the tides totally calming down at night and everything cooling to a nice sleeping temperature without the dew like the Pacific side. We were slow to get going as the morning was awesome. Sun was warm and coffee even tasted better... thats my story and I'm sticking with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The sand was a little difficult getting out of, especially when we have to turn both bikes around. Once pointed in the right direction all was good. Hit the Highway and slabbed it South to Loreto. About the midway point I noticed a little restaurant/bar we stopped at in 2010. I was on my 525 and the purpose of that trip was all trails down. Bill Nichols, Green Door and Rock man trails to name a few. I was mostly following so I had no idea where we were going. It was great leading our own trip. You pay way more attention to names and locations.
    Anyways, breakfast and a beer were on the menu
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    NSFW and roadcapDen like this.
  16. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    After breakfast we were looking at the map and deciding to go further South or start the turn around back. Loreto would be the furthest and we saw a route across to the Pacific side through the mountains. Looked like we passed a couple of missions so what the heck.
    Some great looking beaches we passed but as expected with the weekend Easter goonery, every beach was full to the brim with RVs and carnival rides for the kids.
    Loreto was pack as well. Lots of cars and local tourists from Southern Baja. We stop a 2nd floor bar for a couple of lime margaritas to cool off. It was definitely getting hot.
    [​IMG]
    You can see the steady stream of vehicle going back and forth.
    [​IMG]
    We looked for gas and all 3 stations had only 87. Went to the bank to take out an additional 2000 pesos
    Headed West along the Las Parras river... I didn't see a name to the road.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Great road if you like a lot of twisties. We climbed in elevation and with all the sharp turns made for a fun road ride. At the top we kept elevation and crossed run off depressions with water still crossing them. Super slippery!!!
    All of them had a layer of green algae and it was like ice.
    Wasn't long till the turn off.
    [​IMG]
    Road was fun with some sharp turns, cliff and some decent rocks embedded stick out. 20 mins in looking at the TPS is was blinking at 15 PSI and well, I was looking for shade. Found a nice looking cactus just after a water crossing and set up my tire repair shop again.
    20 mins we were off
    [​IMG]
    Road goes for ever and starts to climb giving more challenge to the ride
    [​IMG]
    Coming into San Jose de Comodu
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the view was amazing just out of the village
    [​IMG]
    NSFW likes this.
  17. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    You could see in the distance the small volcano like mountain. We were headed in that direction
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not much going on in San Isidro, but the everyone looked to be still in Holiday mode
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We picked up beer and Tequila here. Idea was that we would head to the Coast as the sun was again setting on us. Night riding is not the best and I thought we could find a beach spot like Mulege.....
    [​IMG]
    We lightning never strikes twice so I have witnessed,
    the choice was to do a off road route to San Juanico and maybe get there before the sun goes down or find a camping spot on the beach. I was thinking with my luck I would get a flat then either way we are riding in the dark.
    -OR- we slab it to the coast with the remain light and hope for the best.
    Yup we guessed .... or I guessed wrong.
    The light set as with hit the long straight section of pavement to the coast. Dirt looking cows were on the road and needed to be navigated around. It was now dark and moonless. The bike has good lighting but ahead of us was looming dark clouds that looked like rain. We went North at this point to San Gregorio. We looked for a hotel and all the locals said San Juanico. So North we went
    After about 40 mins it looked like we passed the evil looking clouds and eventually made it S.J. Mexican towns for some reason with no moon look extra dark. Can't see anything. We found an OXXO store and they pointed us in a direction, then a few more people we asked and eventually we found a hotel. Claude went to he first one on a corner, (Run down and looking sketchy for parking bikes) the other was like a beacon of blue light..... That said "Hotel"..... Scorpion bay hotel
    Full locked compound and had some people in it having a few beers.
    [​IMG]

They were very friendly and we talked about the trip. They were all on what looked like trophy trucks and buggy's. Beer was flowing and tequila. 2:30am to bed and paying $130us for the night. Big locked gate closed behind us.

[​IMG]
  18. liv2day

Oddometer:
    @Mud Bucket - these pics just brought back some great memories man. That's Playa Buenaventura; did the owner still have a ton of Packers gear inside? Pretty much took the same shot when we stopped by in '16 for beers.

Attached Files:

19. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    DAY 10

Best beds and shower to-date, not like I've taken many on this trip. Not a fan of cold water showers. Morning had that typical fog. Met the crew from the night before and joked over breakfast. Breakfast was very good here. We did get to really see the place last night but it was clean!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notice the Blue beacon ontop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What a way to tour Baja with

We talked with one of them an showed our route to San Francisquito from here. I wasn't sure about the fuel we would need to head off Mex 1, there then to Bay of LA. He said 200 mile range is plenty. Additionally he said we should camp a the Valle Ias Animas. It was right be Bay of LA
    Sounded good, we packed and headed out. First was to look for gas. We thought this place would have a Premex but no, just donkey 87 gas.
    We filled and went North to Camino de San Juan.

I hit Cadeje and waited for a while.
    [​IMG]
    Not like him so I went back, shortly I saw
    [​IMG]
    20 Mins and we were on it again. There was a couple of water crossings and I think in the smallest one I screwed up and the bike fell over. Man these are heavy. I picked it up and continued.
    The road along the coast was variable in terrain. Gravel to 2 track sand to long salt beds smooth as silk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The heat distorts your field of view. You could not see in the distance what your going to encounter.
    [​IMG]
    The camera actually did a good job showing the distortion and how far it came down. As you wicked it up and usually you look towards the horizon there was nothing to see but sky.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the most part I thought this was going to be an easy day. There were a couple of wrenches thrown at us. Like this road!!!
    [​IMG]
    Looks nice and firm at first then it turned into the softest 2 track of big bike sucking ....... you get the point.
    The bike front tire would turn into the side and I would have to stop. First gear pinning it I would paddle and walk with the bike pushing the bars trying to get the front to start to float. I was worried because I didn't want to burn the clutch and so I went full open, then I thought of the bike overheating... good I put in the second fan.... I would repeat the process of 1 gear and giver then to stop because the bike would track up the side many more times.
    I then just went for it. 1 gear again, started to get traction, popped into 2nd, leaned back and let the front do what it wanted. After a couple of minutes I was able to steer the bike with weight and unweighting the pegs.
    Claude in the mean time blew through it seeing how soft it was and did not stop. About mid way I saw him parked with the bike upright chain deep in the sand. I was not stopping, lol. I finally hit 3rd and another 15 mins I was out on another slat flat. Off the bike I had wicked arm pump. I wait for a little while before Claude showed up.
    He had the same miserable experience starting. We rested, had a bar and water and thought we stick to salt flats...... Not very good for the bike.
    We followed the sand and salt and ended up on what was a point. They way across looked dry with mud tracks with a hard layer of white salt.
    I started to enter one of the areas and turned around with the rear tire slinging mud in the air. We had to double back quite a bit.
    Claude saw an opportunity and went for it, 100 yards in I saw his rear go way left then counter steer way right then stop. I parked the bike and dropped the pack and armor and walked out.
    [​IMG]
    Thats his bike sitting upright with no support.

We almost took off the luggage but with a few back and forthes we got the bike turn around and Claude had to run beside it pushing while I pushed from the back to get it out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bit of rest then off we went.
    San Ignacio was next. The road eased up once across. Doubling back even more. Rough washboard crap, then after pavement. Washed Claud's rad out at the Premex, fueled and then to Rice and Beans for More Margarita's and Chicken Enchiladas.
    [​IMG]
    2 More Margaritas, I think they put booze in these things!! lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I had 7 all together. 100 pesos each and the rooms there was $40 us for a room
    RevyRider and NSFW like this.
  20. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    I think so, I was just out side and from there you could see it was full of stuff. Looked pretty dead there when we dropped in. Love the outside beach beer drinking view! I think there was a storm there and it washed out the small bridge leading into the compound. It was under repairs and we had to ride around it.