2 Canucks, 2 KTM's and 2 Weeks in Baja

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Mud Bucket, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the extra work you did to get the pics back!!! Fully enjoying the RR... I went back to the first page and read the whole thing over again... Pics put it into perspective.
    Oh, how I miss Baja...... (and the beer, tacos and margaritas !!!!!! )
    Mud Bucket likes this.
  2. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to re-host your pictures....they are great! Neat trip. Will be passing through your neck of the woods on my way to Alaska next month.
    Mud Bucket likes this.
  3. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hill Climber and Ol Man. The pics are the best way to describe it all. I wish I took more but when you in the moment its tough taking out the phone. As 3 party hosts, pictures have been a pain but I am hoping smug mug will do the trick from here on out. Still have more to add.
    liv2day likes this.
  4. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    The beach you stayed at just south of Mulege is known as "Bandito Beach".Luckily you didn't find out why.Your breakfast stop was at Mark and Olivia 's Buenaventura.They host a great Taco Tuesday.
    NSFW likes this.
  5. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    Thats pretty funny about the beach. You could see there had been activity in the past. I found a working cell phone there.... hmmmm

Yes we were a day late on Taco Tuesday. Next time
  6. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    DAY 11

Felt pretty good this morning.
    [​IMG]
    The Place was not very busy
    [​IMG]
    Idea was to make the camping location closet to the Bay of LA. We went back into Rice and beans for breakfast and set off north on Mex 1. We did a final fuel top up at Vizcaino and made a right a few minutes passed Las Palomas.
    [​IMG]
    Large dusty 4 lane road. GPS said was made a left at a farm to a smaller road. Great views through there. Road was fun and lots of cactus to see bordering both sides of the road.
    [​IMG]
    We were to pass through El Arco. I guess at one point this was a mining town
    [​IMG]
    Still populated with a few people
    RevyRider and NSFW like this.
  7. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I knew the road was 100km plus to get to San Francisquito. There were several ranches we passed along the way. Great terrain to ride through. We were going over a pass and found it had been cemented
    [​IMG]
    Would not have expected this. I am sure this is cheaper than fixing it every couple years after a big storm
    After a few crossings we saw a sign
    [​IMG]

Our plan was not to go too but towards San Francisquito. I made a navigational error and started up a road just before heading North to Bahia San Raffael. The road was on the GPS. Hadn't been traveled in a while. No vehicle tracks.
    We proceeded cautiously so to stop if the road just stops or is eroded away making it impassable. Some fun sand and sharp cactus. At the end I parked the bike and went to the water. The beach stretched for miles with not a sole around. It was time for a dip in water to cool down. Claude is a good rider and he was having troubles. What ever he ate a Rice and Beans was not agreeing with him. We made it here early. We discussed, should we continue to head to the other beach or make the best of it here. We decided to make the best of it here with a little R&R. Couldn't get a better beach except a little more shade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    RevyRider likes this.
  8. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    I guess I got a little too much sun. I burnt myself, I was not expecting to fall asleep on the beach. We set up the tents, collected some fire wood and made some Freeze dried food. The fire was nice. Great spot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hill Climber, NSFW, Saso and 2 others like this.
  9. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn man...green with envy. What a frickin' sweet beach to setup camp and kick back on. I can only imagine how relaxing it was to sit back in your chair and just enjoy the solitude - what a great find.

As others have mentioned, big thanks for going back and fixing all the pictures. It made re-reading the report a real treat. Pretty cool to see the shot of your place with snow on the ground and then move forward a couple pages and see this.

Looking forward to the next day's update :ricky:ricky
    Mud Bucket likes this.
  10. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    Thanks Liv2day, Its actually been fun reliving this with the report. I am effeminately going back to some of these beaches.
  11. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    DAY 12
    [​IMG]
    Woke up early with the sun and chilled till it warmed up. You could see the Coyotes are well fed. They run around all night chasing birds for dinner.
    [​IMG]
    What a morning to wake to. I was feeling some of the burn when dressing in the gear. luckily the burns were not on my shoulders where my pack rests.
    [​IMG]
    There were small velcro evil thorns everywhere. Not great for the thermarest, you needed to take extra care cleaning out a clear area for the tent.
    [​IMG]
    Our little beach runner/ Bird exterminator
    [​IMG]
  12. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    To say the least the idea of waiting till it warms up to clear out isn't the smartest idea. The sand is soft and to get the bikes out took some work. Definitely a morning sweat with a follow up drink of water. Plan was to head to Bay of LA for lunch
    [​IMG]
    Looked to me like another good beach to look at
    [​IMG]

Very warm

[​IMG]

The roads here are never the same. Rocks and other obstructions keep you on you toes. But as plan we reached Bay of LA around noon. Approximately 160km from the camping spot. I had to put on my reserve tank at about 250km before Bay of LA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lunch was Ok... I think they were disappointed we were not stay for a night.

Next stop was fro fuel. 2 premex stations, no problem. Now off to COCO's for some beer. We slabbed it to the turn off where it turned to a rough wash board dust bowl. It looked like they are building a paved road through. Lots of large truck traffic, but everyone slows down for Coco's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What can I say, One of a kind!!! lol
    knight, Eldon, RevyRider and 2 others like this.
  13. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    After 4 beers (25 pesos each) plus some extra, next stop was to check Alfonsina. we said we were heading there to Coco and head said "oohhhh your rich! $145 us per night"
    ugg, I am getting low on the pesos department. Some fun offroad after Coco's then it turned to pavement. Easy ride to Alfonsina. We went in and checked the price, beached looked good, sort off busy but what the heck. If they take Visa we are good.
    Nope!
    So that ended that. The view was good and its hard to pass up an opportunity to have another margarita. No money for lodging but always money for a drink, haha
    [​IMG]
    We were here 8 years ago and they are fixing the place up way nicer than when we were here last
    [​IMG]

After to the market for some water and off to find a camping spot
    [​IMG]

We fueled, left town. The sun was setting and light was going to be problem. 10 mins out we were looking at the coast. We saw some pay camping but a little further up we saw some dirt roads leading to the water.
    Nice and sandy they way we like it. Found a spot just for the sun set.
    [​IMG]
    Bike just parks itself
    [​IMG]
    Needed to level out the sleeping quarters
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    DAY 13

Road to San Filipe to meet up with a few people Claude knows that are in the BAJA 250 race.
    Morning was awesome like usual
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again we made the mistake of letting it warm up before heading out. This site was a bitch to turn the bikes around and get out. Small price to pay, lol

[​IMG]

Beer Breakfast as the was an easy road day

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The road to San Filipe had some great beach areas I would like to explore for next time. The road also had some drain off parts so going at 100km an hour the bottom would drop and air would be had. Fun!
    [​IMG]
    Here are the guys working on the bike to get it ready after their preride
    We were offered to stay for free ontop of one of these palapas. We got some beer and hung out.
    [​IMG]
    OXXO for Beer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Accommodations for the evening
    [​IMG]
    Bike was ready to go. Arron was working on this for most of the day. They are giving the transponder late in the day, and its up to each crew to install last minute. The red light if it goes off mean there is a Trophy truck coming to run you over. Best to move out of the way.
    We were leaving the next day but on the travels back home we heard he was 3rd in the iron man division till mile 192. This is where his motor blew and a crash. Damb close. 35 degree c heat and said to be one of the more challenging course in a long time or ever..

The camping area filled up all night. The locals love to play early 80's Brian Adams music/ 16 candles/ 60's crap with variable volumes and leaving their cars idle all night. It was very different from the beach camping we were accustom to.
    Price was right!
    knight, RevyRider and roadcapDen like this.
  15. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    DAY 13

Lucky 13, no sleep and ready to get out of dodge. we fueled just out of San Filipe and 15 mins into the ride my TPS went off. I looked down and doing 120km on the highway my front was at 15 PSI. We went off the highway to repair it. There must be a rough spot in my tire to wear a hole into the tube. Claude had 1 fresh tube left, 20 min swap and we were on the road again. Direct to Mexicali with a fuel stop to burn through the last pesos. We arrive to Mexicali and the line was long..... We went in line and were told by many people to turn around. ???? i was confused. We pressed on, the heat was incredible. Stop and go the bikes were starting to over heat. Claude took it upon himself to push through the middle of the line. Cars moved, and another street vendor said there was a bike lane.... Oh. We pressed on reaching the frond area. There was a gate across the entrance to the lane??? not sure how were suppose to access it. Near the front the lanes split from 2 to 3 for this elusive bike lane. We road up 1 at a time and went through. Easy, nothing to declare.

Brawley, lunch then the truck.
    [​IMG]
    Good food here
    The compound where our truck was stored
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Motel 6 had my resorvation from 2 weeks ago. We thought it would be better to travel back more civilized
    Shower, Dinner, Beers, Sleep..... Up early 5ish, and book it North.
    RevyRider likes this.
  16. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    DAY 14
    [​IMG]

As planned we drove till about 11pm with fuel stops. We made it to Oregon
    [​IMG]
    Motel 6 just past Mount Shasta. We had weather from mid way though California up. Rain sucks
    Day 15
    Arrived home 3pm Sunday. Family was happy.

Best advise is to take an extra day off once home to climatize and unload.

That's it,
    First trip report and maybe more in the future. As I said before, I hope there's info for anyone else to use and add to their trip.

Cheers from the wet coast
    Brandon
    knight and RevyRider like this.
  17. Mud Bucket

Oddometer:
    Final totals
    [​IMG]
    Our trip total in the pic on the bike
    3 front tubes plus patch 1 patch kit
    2 rear tubes
    $700 in fuel (Diesel) one way. Better to have more people to split the cost
    2400km Each way in the truck
    Klymit Amazon air mattress work great! I could sleep on my side, very comfortable
    TPS from Amazon worked great. best $68 bucks spent. Easy to install and alerted me when my front was air out giving me time to look for some shade. Wireless and the internal battery didn't need charging for 2 weeks. Didn't go down from 100%
    E-12 tires lasted better than the KTC 80 rears
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think the TKC 80 fronts I will try for next time.
    Love the MRS Hubba Hubba tent, Great width space with good head space too. Easy setup and compact
    Baja Topo E32. Even though Claude had the newest GPS which had many of the roads we were on. The E32 gave 30% more Roads and trails to look at
    Cash is King. Some busy events like Easter the banks run out of cash but still debit your account.
    Baja Insurance, easy to buy online
    Mexican Visa, easy to buy at the boarder of your choosing
    I would say next time I would bring 70% Pesos to 30% us cash. Some places had a great exchange for US dollars.
    I may add as I remember stuff, lol
  18. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    FYI,that little store by Alfoncina's rents the trailers across the street.Not pretty,but they work.Enjoyed the RR,thanks.
    Mud Bucket likes this.
  19. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done and totally worth the read (and likely a re-read if the liquid sunshine continues to beat down on us PNWers). Appreciate all the pics and time it took to get the report together and then deal with re-hosting images on top of that. How far south did you end up making it before your route turned back toward the border? Was it Mulege, or did you make it down to Loreto?

If the planets align and I'm able to get all the logistics to work, I want to leave my truck at the border and ride to Mulege or Loreto over 3-4 days (is this even possible?). Meet my family (who flies into Loreto) for 5-6 days, then ride back to my truck and return to Portland. No clue if I'll be able to pull it off, but all of the Baja reports I've read to date make me want to do whatever I can to do so. Yours just added to that desire :thumb

Thanks again man, muy apreciado :super:super
    Mud Bucket likes this.
  20. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    great ride report. i've been to baja many times and still enjoy reading other people's travel and adventure.

cheers and thanks.
    BT4Stroke and Mud Bucket like this.