2 Dirtbags do a Western Stomp - UT WY ID MT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Eastbay Dirtbag, Apr 10, 2020.

1. billmaxx97

billmaxx97 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Taking Notes ! Great RR
  2. DaveWave

DaveWave Sometimes you win...sometimes you learn.

Oddometer:
    Love to see ride reports in my back yard. This pic was just last weekend on skyline ridge road between Alpine, Wy. And Idaho Falls. Greys River is another favorite ride. Thanks for the ride report.

Attached Files:

3. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love your reports, inspirational to get out there and do some riding. Seems like you have some sort of connection to avoid rain. Well played!
  4. Eastbay Dirtbag

Eastbay Dirtbag one track mind

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I have to give some credit to my new camera. My old one overexposed many shots - for example the photo of the rock cairn from 2012.
    Love them toads!
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks. Adding that to my Future Rides File. I keep a GPX file for each western state. Got that idea from Big Dog.
    I wish we had a method to avoid the rain. Days of wet riding last year prove otherwise. But sometimes when we see days of rain (or snow!) in the forecast we bail.
  5. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Day 4 cont'd
    The road drops into Copper Basin where there were copper mines back in the day. I have not seen the mines though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There are a couple roads out here that we need to explore:
    1. The Copper Basin loop - Nf 138 to the west
    2. Burma Road Nf 142 to the east which goes toward the Mackay Reservoir

[​IMG]

The road parallels East Fork of Big Lost River and eventually there are some ranches, houses and traffic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Going west will take you to Ketchum, but we headed east for a short stint on paved Trail Creek Road then north on dirt Sage Creek Road. We had not been here before.

Empty roads again!
    [​IMG]

The Lost River Range
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy bees rolling in the pollen
    [​IMG]

Peck Cyn / Walker Road (MK300) crosses this gap…
    [​IMG]

Just us and the cows again
    [​IMG]

Looking back
    [​IMG]
    This connected to the colorful Road Creek Canyon. Too much fun! It weaves for miles down to the East Fork Salmon River Canyon.
    [​IMG]

This is near a wild horse range. Didn't see any this time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In Challis we grabbed lunch at the Y-Inn Cafe downtown then checked into the Pioneer Motel and RV Park. They have several motel rooms, a few rooms above the office and a handful of new cabins.

We had reserved a cabin but it was next to the highway, so instead we took a quiet and comfortable room above the office with a private bathroom. The Hubby gets creative when drying his laundry.
    [​IMG]
    While I was checking in, they turned away many male motorcyclists without reservations, even though the other upstairs rooms were vacant. I can only guess that they are selective and we looked harmless. :lol3 (Old lady in pink. Check.)

The town was busy and the RV Park was full. Challis is popular with 4 wheelers because of the Bayhorse trail system west of town.

We had dinner at a nice, newer, restaurant downtown, the Tea Cup Cafe & Bakery. They had live music on the patio.
  6. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:
    Looking back at post 1 this was August 2019.

Wondering if you tried something like this today, with the shutdowns, how many restaurants you'd find, even for take-out. Or how many places with cabins or rooms are doing business out there on the road.

7. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aye, that's the issue now, isn't it matey?
  8. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:

I'm guessing the answer is you can find groceries, but a shortage of eateries. And don't count on many motels to be open.

The question for folks planning summer trips is gonna be, will that change or is this year gonna be a bust?

Maybe a good one for trips close to home. Camp and get your eats from markets instead of restaurants. Plan accordingly.

DragonJoe likes this.
  9. musty40

musty40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoying the ride report, bringing back lots of memories from when I lived in Arco back in 1996. No cycle then but I did have my old FJ40 to go exploring in.
  10. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Those beautiful wide-open spaces just give a person peace. Great photos.
  11. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Under the stay at home order, all restaurants over here are closed to dine-in.

And, yeah, this summer is the crap shoot the whole country, or world, is betting on, eh?
    97707 likes this.
  12. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:

Idaho campgrounds closed too? They are in Oregon, or the FS says they are.

There's still plenty places to go dispersed camping. A trip is doable . . . its just a question of do you want to take the risk and do you feel like there are ethical problems with doing it.

sledrydr likes this.
  13. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Only time will tell...
  14. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Good area for 4 wheeling. Some of the roads are too rocky or silty for 2 wheels.
    Thanks.
  15. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Day 5 Challis ID to Dillon MT 180 miles (~80% dirt)
    - More remote forest, a busy pass on a weekend and high plains.
    [​IMG]
    We had breakfast not far from the motel at the Village Inn Restaurant.

We headed into the National Forest north of town. The road starts in a scenic rocky canyon then climbs along Panther Creek into the pines.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were alone for about 60 miles until we neared Salmon.
    [​IMG]

We turned east and climbed over the mountains. There are two roads heading east beyond the Cobalt mine. Nf-101 is the wider, less steep, haul road for the mine. We took Nf-021 which is narrower and a little rougher but the more fun option IMHO.

It passes a few waterfalls.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tree sap
    [​IMG]
    Nf-021 merges with the haul road but we did not see any trucks, maybe because it was a Saturday.

The road dropped through another canyon...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imagine these two photos stitched together because I am too lazy to do it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We had a good lunch at Bertram’s Brewery downtown. There was a Native American festival going on and the town was busy but not crowded.
    [​IMG]
  16. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed it.
    No-Fret likes this.
  17. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah. State parks open to day use but not camping. USFS campgrounds closed but "dispersed camping" is still fine (or was when I asked two weeks ago).

Gotta I went for a long ride today cuz it was so freakin' nice out, but I definitely get that it's an ethical gray area and man I'd feel like a weenie if I wound up in the ER right now.
    97707 likes this.
  18. iacamacho75

iacamacho75 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome pics and route... I see that all roads seem very good gravel... is it? trail vs slab ratio on that route?? is the GPX file posted initially true to the exact route? might copy it sometime.

Thanks
  19. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Only on Day 5 of 11. More to come.
    Almost all the roads were in good shape, but that also depends on weather. There was some rutted stuff in Wyoming that I'll cover later. Not bad though. All of this could be done on a big bike. The trickiest part was the creek crossing on Day 2.

The tracks attached in Post #1 are our actual tracks. I have some dirt vs pavement #s that I'll try to add later.
    scfrank and td63 like this.
  20. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Day 5 cont'd
    We followed paved and gravel roads southeast along the foothills of the Lemhi River valley. This was a nice alternative to the highway.
    [​IMG]

Then we turned east and climbed to Lemhi Pass. This stretch was busy, dusty and washboard. Probably due to a combination of weekend and the festival. I think the Indians were doing an endurance run to the pass.
    [​IMG]

The views were great and I’m glad we did it, but our timing wasn't good.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was MUCH quieter after the pass.
    [​IMG]
    The road passed though lovely ranch country and intersected the highway. After about 10 miles we headed north on gravel through more nice country toward Bannack State Historic Park.

We visited the Cemetery, but not the Park.
    [​IMG]
    We took back roads into Dillon to the nice Best Western Paradise Inn.

We had dinner at the nearby Lions Den. It was nice looking but I would not recommend it. The pizza was bad and the place was too noisy to hold a conversation.

Day 6 Dillon MT to Ennis MT 130 miles (~85% dirt)
    - An incredible day of high plains and magnificent mountains.
    [​IMG]

We headed south on Blacktail Rd through a mix of lovely private and state lands.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We only saw two other vehicles in 60 miles.
    [​IMG]

There are motorized roads west into the State Lands but we did not try any of them so don’t know how rough they are.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are roads east into the WMA. Next time!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading up to Clover Divide
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]