1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2 Dirtbags do Northern AZ & Southern UT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Eastbay Dirtbag, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Aikenrunner

Aikenrunner 18 KTM 690 Enduro, 14 CB500X RR Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR, thanks for letting us tag along.
  2. AzMtnThumper

AzMtnThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done! Enjoyed the writing and the pics. May put some of your tracks to use. Thanks.
  3. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great eye for scenery. Seriously enjoyed your narrative and pictures. We should all aspire to such trips!
  4. Eastbay Dirtbag

Eastbay Dirtbag one track mind

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm always happy to hear that my tracks are useful. Music to my ears!

Thanks. It may not be as exciting as doing the Stans, but its certainly more doable. :D
    AzMtnThumper and NoelJ like this.
  5. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A great read. Much enjoyed riding along with you guys. Is it not wonderful that 10 miles from a busy highway one is in a place of ( TOTAL SILENCE). You mentioned Baja next year. My wife, finally, retires next May. In November we will start what we hope will be many toy wagon winters in Baja. We both rather like baja. You guys live life big. Well done. Petepilot
  6. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    A very enjoyable ride report!

John
  7. thegraydog

thegraydog 2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer:
    Of your several contributions to the literature: as a devotee of GoogleEarth to develop routes, I wonder how it will work with tires on it. I paid close attention as you two rode through my own terrain which I know on the personal level. You made interesting choices that I would not even consider, like the FS4 road from Drake to Woody Mtn, and that helps me think about what I can't know from tracing lines on screens. You also chose routes we haven't gotten around to, like the Wolverine Canyon south of Burr Trail, and all up the east side of the Utah high country; we go up and down the Skyline Drive and wonder what's down there. Thank you for the report. You have had my attention right through, both with the excellent photography and the logic of route choices. See you out there, maybe!
    NEPA 450x likes this.
  8. thegraydog

Oddometer:
    You mentioned the Henry Mtns. Take the route over Bull Creek Pass -- steep enough country. Two trips back we came through on a route further south, and she seriously drowned her bike in Sandy Creek, which is the only western exit I know of. I towed her to the top of the Burr Trail switchbacks and out of the NP, a long way, where we called for a pickup, which was about seven hours each way from Flagstaff. Our son was testy about that for years, until he accumulated a couple long-distance retrieves himself! Took me all day in the home shop to get her Super Sherpa running again... The second pass through Sandy Creek was on dry sand, but my spidey sense was screaming.
  9. thegraydog

Oddometer:
    On that second pass I elected to go down Poison Springs Canyon, across the Dirty Devil River, and then down the Shafer Trail south to Hite. The river is an easy crossing in September, but my, it's a long way out there solo. No services until Blanding, if you decide to have a look.
  10. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Thank you. We finally realized we're not getting any younger. (I guess we were in denial for a long time!) Our motto is "Ride while we still can."

Thanks.
    wilfred and Joe Motocross like this.
  11. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Thank you
    Thanks for the heads up. One of the dilemmas of riding the Henrys is the surrounding desert is hot when the mountains are snow free.
    The Poison Springs route has intrigued me, but I've been leery of the river crossing. Sounds like fall is the time to try that and the Henrys.
    thegraydog likes this.
  12. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this great rr pix and prose marvellous. Loved that comment about being able to hide your own Easter eggs . I can do that as well but I forget that I even hid them !
  13. suber1959

suber1959 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great trip this was. Amazing photos mate, thanks for the share.
  14. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Echoing the others-enjoyed your RR very much. especially as it is written and the route planned by a fellow woman rider. Bravo!

Also wanted to comment on how trim your bikes are, even hotelling it each night-the bikes aren't overloaded. i know some folks who carry more gear for a half day ride in their own neck 'o duh woods.

Thanks for making the time to put this together and sharing it with us.
    wilfred and Blaise W like this.
  15. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would be interesting to know just what all you carried on this trip. Long trips like this, and longer, are what interest me now and for the last decade or so. Moteling it sure cuts the load, but there are times that camping gear is needed, along with extra water, Jet Boil or facsimile, and a little grub. The trick is to get that minimized. So, what is in the bags? Just want to compare our "minimums" for extended trips. Tools, tubes, air, etc.
    thegraydog likes this.
  16. SpiritAtBay

Oddometer:
    Yes, enquiring minds and all that
  17. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    If it weren't for my ride reports I wouldn't know where I've been! (Well almost...)
    Thank you.
    Thank you. We're always looking at ways to whittle the load. I get cold easily so I'm concerned about going too light. When we started in 2006 we carried so many extra clothes we ended up mailing them home. D'Oh! I'll discuss our packing strategy in another post.
  18. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    We have one set of gear for on the bike and one for off. We wear synthetics, poly/cotton blends or wool. We hand wash our jerseys, socks and moto undies every night.

I'm a firm believer in layering. I've worn as many as 6 layers on top and 4 on my lower half all at the same time.

My on-the-bike system:
    thin skull cap (makes a big difference in helmet comfort)
    neck gaiter
    poly/cotton jersey with mesh back
    synthetic puffy jacket (Walmart $25)
    armored mesh jacket (I never use the liner.)
    water resistant/breathable windbreaker with pit zips
    wool socks
    bunhuggers
    knee/shin guards
    motocross pants w hip pads
    lightweight gore-tex pants for windpants (no longer waterproof)
    non-breathable rain jacket, pants and overmitts (I've given up on waterproof/breathable rain gear.)
    2 or 3 pairs of gloves (mesh, warm, warmer)
    synthetic long john top & bottoms if its really cold

Off the bike:
    (My Wolfman Mini Beta Bag is not waterproof so everything goes in waterproof stuff sacks or ziplocks or heavy duty trash compactor bags if I expect rain.)
    undies
    shorts or leggings (with my gore-tex pants over these if its really cold)
    tank top
    long sleeve button-up shirt
    flip flops
    ballcap
    touk if its cold

other stuff:
    first aid kit
    water bottle (or Camelback if its really hot)
    snacks & tea bags
    plastic spoon & knife
    paper towels & plastic bags
    extra ziplocks
    cable lock
    toiletries
    flashlight
    chargers

The Hubbys tools:
    Assorted tools and wrenches
    air pressure gage
    spare tubes - front and rear (I carry these. Removed from boxes, wrapped in duct tape, labeled and in heavy duty plastic bags.)
    tire irons & bead breaker
    tire-changing lube
    tube patch kit with extra glue
    air pump
    spare nuts and bolts
    zip-ties
    wire
    duct tape
    chain lube & grease rags & rubber gloves
    portable bike jack/lift
    epoxy putty
    tow rope
    NSFW, Blaise W and wilfred like this.
  19. SpiritAtBay

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Eastbay Dirtbag, post: 38838738, member
    .... When we started in 2006 we carried so many extra clothes we ended up mailing them home.[/QUOTE]

been there, done that! lol

thanks for listing your stuff. mine is similar, like you, i get cold easily. for cold nights in-not-always-heated mexican hotel rooms, i bring a set of warm jammies and 1 pr thick, llama wool sox. while i resent the space they take, i'm sure happy to have them when i need them!
    Blaise W likes this.
  20. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    We rode in the hot Kalahari and Namibian deserts. The hotel air conditioners were near the ceiling and blew on the bed which only had sheets, no blankets. I froze every night! I was wishing for long johns and a touk then!
    Blaise W likes this.