2 Dirtbags do Northern AZ & Southern UT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Eastbay Dirtbag, Nov 5, 2019.

1. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok, you can't just drop words like that and not provide more details- link to RR? something!
  2. Eastbay Dirtbag

Eastbay Dirtbag one track mind

Oddometer:
    Hmm, this thread is about desert riding so this still counts, right?

Sorry no RR. It was a guided tour through 3 countries plus Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. My favorite part was the wildlife, especially land and river safaris in Botswana. The scenery was best in Namibia in the desert and red dunes.

There was no traffic anywhere except Cape Town. My least favorite was South Africa. The effects of apartheid were appalling.

The best part of all? The food! Fantastic antelope, ostrich, vegetable and grain dishes!

My favorite photo from the trip - in Namibia where it never rains:
    Africa388.jpg
  3. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it was you two that my friends & I chatted with at Toroweap back in May.

You came roaring two-up on a GS. If I'm mistaken, please igore, sorry about the hi-jack.

Us,

Me, @RedRockRider & @simbaboy

[​IMG]
    RedRockRider and simbaboy like this.
  4. catfish

catfish Squidicus Adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, I remember you two! :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Photos from our 2008 So.Utah DS ride. Excellent trip, but most of the old photo links have died. Grrr...

I'm glad I searched for you & found your new ride report ... BRAVO!!! Excellent adventure & ride report as always!

Baja next year, you say? I'll be in touch! :-)

Catfish ...
    NSFW and bomose like this.
  5. Daffey

Daffey Sans Bon Mot

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Its nice to know the effort is appreciated!

I know others must put a lot of work into their RRs. I like to give back. Sometimes my routes don't work out, but hopefully that info is useful too.[/QUOTE]

It is still appreciated and will be for a long time to come. I rode the Burr Trail to Capital Reef in 2010 on a 990 Adventure with three friends. I returned three years ago with my wife on the back, but we only did an out and back on the paved portion. The black, hail laden clouds above, were as threatening as a rattlesnake and we had to ride back to camp at Red Rocks. We were engulfed by the deluge two minutes away from the sanctuary of camp. It was exhilarating fun, thanks for conjuring up those memories. You and others on this forum, are inspiring me to slow down and take more pictures. Someday I’ll try to even post my own RR. Happy Trails
  6. "Old Adventure Fart"

"Old Adventure Fart" Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing as Beautiful as "Matching Dirt Mustaches" ! HANG ON MAN , women like that only come along to 1 in a Million Dirt Riders !
  7. adv62

adv62 n00b

Oddometer:
    A link to this thread dropped into my in-box today ..... late to the party, I have just enjoyed reading this (rest-day travelling in India) from start to finish :)

Most enjoyable and extremely inspiring ; thank you so much !!

Mark (from uk)
  8. Otroo

Otroo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report read it all the way through.
  9. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR! not sure how it got by me at the original postings. Now I've got a couple more to read up on. :beer
  10. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Pretty much the same story only 'shy' of racing, right down to the full on buddy pegs and the apparatus so she can hold on. I grew up on a Yami GT60, she has a DR200 which doesn't go out often, and we ride stuff that makes people just shake their heads. We find that together on one bike, we can go further, faster, and more difficult terrain than if she was riding solo. Unlike the OP, she didn't grow up on bikes and has little experience.
    The link below has some of our rides.. should you ever need a good laugh.
  12. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for another great ride report.
  13. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Hi to all you late-to-the party readers. Thanks for checking it out. I would do this whole ride again (well, except Nf-4 in AZ).
    powderzone likes this.
  14. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    I did not grow up on motorbikes. I started in my mid-20's and learned most everything by the Trial & Error and Black & Blue methods. :lol3

Although I liked trying to go fast on a dirt bike (a whopping 21 MPH in the woods), enduro racing was more about endurance, pacing and timekeeping than speed. I am not fast on a dual sport or road bike. The Hubby has learned to lower his expectations.

A new rider has to have the desire and knack for it. That said, I also think there is a point when it is too late to learn. I couldn't now take the impacts that I did when I was younger. I wasn't afraid to fall back then, but I dread it now.

I guess riding was in my blood because when I was about age 4, I would ride my mother's full-size, step-through bicycle solo. When I stood and pedaled, the seat hit me between the shoulder blades. I sat on the bottom tube when I wasn't pedaling. I was determined to ride! I got my own bike when I was 5 and rode to the other side of our city. Amazing that my parents didn't take it away!
  15. Todd157k

Oddometer:
    Your riding skills are quite good. It's obvious you had a knack for it. At 50, wifey isn't so 'adventurous' and like you said, not into the impacts. She's hit the ground a few times both with me, and by herself. Although she's a trooper and doesn't complain, I can tell that "look".

I loved your RR and have gone back to your previous reports. You two rock!
  16. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice Report. Thank you for sharing!
  17. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for posting this. When I lived in Las Vegas from 2001-2010 I did quite a few of those roads, although I normally jumped off into the AZ strip at Mesquite/Bunkerville. I hope you make it back to Cottonwood Canyon, it's one of my favorites. I rode it 2-3 years in a row going up to F650 meets in Panguitch.
  18. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    just found and read it.what an excellent rr, fabuous photos and naration thank you .you dirtbag. thats agreat name too sure as you said be sure to remind hubby how lucky he is. stay safe in todays covid worlld

john
  19. TownPump

TownPump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wonderful photos and read! Loved seeing the Flagstaff area and especially Mt. Humphreys looming in some of your shots.

If you ever get a chance, there is a nice but a little challenging trail to the summit of the highest peak in AZ. I did it many years ago and still count it as one of my most treasured accomplishments even if it is just a long day hike. Just bring lots of water.
  20. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Hard to believe we're sitting at home in beautiful spring weather wondering when we can get out and ride again. It's nice to know that this little ol' RR is helping others pass the time until they can get out again too.
    TownPump, MasterMarine and dlearl476 like this.