2 Dirtbags Frozen Burrito Tour CO-UT-NV

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Eastbay Dirtbag, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Eastbay Dirtbag

Eastbay Dirtbag one track mind

Oddometer:
    18 days in Sept 2020. We headed to high country to escape the heat and find fall colors. Not everything went according to plan, but that’s why its called adventure. We explored new roads from low to high and back again.

We did not go out to eat. We bought frozen burritos and entrees. We ate a lot of burritos!

TRACKS ARE ATTACHED split into 2 files

THE BIG PICTURE
    [​IMG]

A SNEAK PEAK
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMG_4964.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We broke some rules on this ride, but if no one sees it, does it still count?

Badly paraphrasing The Wind and The Wave’s “Raising Hands Raising Hell Raise ‘em High”

I dragged you through the desert and we tried to touch the sky
    Pink lady in a Schuberth
    Raising hands, raising hell, raise ‘em high
    Oh you better raise ‘em high

Well we’re ridin’ DRZs and I’m tellin’ the truth
    We’re lovin’ the ride, forsooth
    Breaking bad, breaking rules
    Oh we’re gonna break some rules

Attached Files:

2. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    In! Thanks for bringing us along again.
    Comrade Arturo and MazztheSpazz like this.
  3. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    In for another great ride report!
  4. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Spoiler alert: Dirt starts on day 3.

Day 1 San Diego to Blythe CA
    [​IMG]

Our desert crossing mantra:
    Ride. Find shade. Ride.

Broken truckstop pump island for burrito time. I could keep the burritos cold regardless of the heat by wrapping them in my puffy jacket in my saddle bag.
    [​IMG]

Taking in the view
    [​IMG]

In Blythe CA we stayed at the nice Hampton Inn for the first time because our old standby, the Best Western, has gone downhill. The grocery store was about a mile away.
    [​IMG]

They provided a hot breakfast and bananas with an inspirational message.
    [​IMG]
    When breakfast was available at the hotels we ate in our room. Otherwise, we had cereal or frozen burritos and entrees for breakfast.

Day 2 Blythe to Chino Valley AZ
    [​IMG]

Note the missing chunks of concrete overhead where a truck hit the underpass
    [​IMG]
    We enjoyed our burritos in Yarnell, which is in the mountains and cooler than the surrounding desert.

In Chino Vly we stayed at the Days Inn, which was fine.

All the chain hotels have signs declaring their dedication to cleaning and disinfecting because They Care So Much. Yet at almost every one, the maids could be seen cleaning rooms without wearing masks…

Dinner looked similar to this for 17 nights. We were pleasantly surprised to find many healthy selections so we didn’t have to resort to Hungry Man Fried Chicken.
    [​IMG]

Day 3 Chino Valley to Page AZ, 220 miles
    Let's find some dirt!

We headed north on Hwy 89 then east on dirt Cr-71 near a cement plant (?). This a rocky stretch across high plains that meets paved Cr-73.

Break time on a side road
    [​IMG]

It climbs 2500 ft into pines. No traffic.
    [​IMG]

After Williams we took backroads into the Coconino Nat’l Forest and followed nice one-lanes through the trees.
    [​IMG]

We skirted the west side of Flagstaff on rocky Shultz Pass Road through a canyon and more forest before passing through a large burn area.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It entered more forest just in time for burritos.
    [​IMG]

We took US 89 and Copper Mine Rd north into Page where we stayed at the perfectly adequate Rodeway Inn. Check out the missing smoke detector above the bed.
    [​IMG]
    The grocery store is conveniently located across the street. We tried to select hotels within walking distance of grocery stores when possible.
  5. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Day 4 Page AZ to Escalante UT, 190 miles (should have been 115 mi)
    Note: I did not remove our backtracking from the gps tracks but I also included a track of the planned route.

Blue= actual route, Red= planned route
    [​IMG]
    We headed north on 89 to Big Water and then east on Smokey Mtn Rd. Our goal was Croton Rd to Left Hand Collett to Hole-in-the-Rock Rd.

It starts off as fast wide dirt through colorful badlands and buttes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After about 10 miles we only saw one vehicle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The split between Smokey Mtn Rd (left) and Road 230 to Croton, which wraps around the back of the buttes on the right.
    [​IMG]

It was obvious there had been heavy rains and this spot had deep ruts. This photo looks B&W, but this is the real color.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were washouts and places where the edge of the road had collapsed.
    [​IMG]

We're going behind this tall butte.
    [​IMG]

See?
    [​IMG]

Lake Powell somewhere out yonder
    [​IMG]

The scenery and colors kept changing.
    [​IMG]

Break time. An SUV passed us heading towards Croton and a short while later it came back. Hmmm.
    [​IMG]

It's not easy to put a road out here...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    The start of Croton Rd is a little steep and rough which is a good indicator of things to come.
    [​IMG]

The other option, Grand Bench, is a dead end on a peninsula.
    [​IMG]

It gets better for a while.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Half of this corner was washed out.
    [​IMG]

Then it starts climbing...
    [​IMG]

...and gets steeper...
    [​IMG]

...and loose and rough with rock steps.
    [​IMG]

Someone piled rocks in front of some of the steps but there were metal marks. A bash plate is a good thing.
    [​IMG]

Just beyond the steps we took a break and checked out the view across the canyon.[​IMG]

It looks better ahead but is still climbing so there could be more like that. Hmm.
    [​IMG]
    Time to re-assess.

Croton Rd drops into a canyon with a creek weaving through it. The track crosses the creek many times. The condition of the track changes with rainfall. See where I’m going with this?

Its getting hot and will get much hotter. Do we risk more rough climbs early in our 3 week trip? Is the track in the canyon washed out due to rain? If we have to backtrack in the heat through technical terrain will we have enough gas and water?

This is really remote. Its unlikely we will see anyone out here. I do not like to give up and turn around. But, if I drop the DRZ I cannot pick it up by myself so The Hubby has to do most of the heavy lifting. Never fun and much tougher in the heat.

Most importantly — EBDB Corollary #1 — If we die in the desert, The Hubby will never forgive me.

I decided to play it safe and turn around which meant 40 miles of backtracking to the highway.

Back we go. It doesn't look bad here.
    [​IMG]

The camera is not tilted. Its really this steep. “Please don’t let me crash in front of the camera.”
    [​IMG]

The Hubby on the descent.
    [​IMG]

so colorful
    [​IMG]

It was too steep to get off the bike so I took this shot over my shoulder while balancing on one foot. Almost lost my balance. Not a good idea.
    [​IMG]

Back on the flats
    [​IMG]
    We could have taken Smokey Mtn Rd to Escalante but I did not bring that gps track and wasn’t sure I could do it from memory having only done it once. Getting lost in the desert in the heat — no bueno.

We will probably try Left Hand Collett and Croton on some other trip but in the opposite direction so we can start with the track in the creek canyon.

Here is a link to a good ride report of Left Hand Collett and Croton Rd. Scroll down the report until you see the ride titles with the road names:
    https://gardinerfamilyadventures.wordpress.com/2017/06/06/grand-staircase-escalante-may-2017/

At Big Water we headed south 1 mile to the gas station and topped off.

We re-routed through lovely Cottonwood Canyon Rd, which we had done in June, and was easy to navigate.
    [​IMG]

Neither of us felt like eating in the heat. No burritos until Escalante.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Escalante we stayed at the Prospector Inn which would have been fine except the mattress was uncomfortable. I could feel the springs poking me in the back and had to sleep on bath towels for padding.

They provide coffee in the lobby in the morning but no breakfast.

The motel owner asked about our ride and I told him about Croton. He had friends who were going to drive it the next day but didn't have 4WD! Good thing we chatted because he saved them a long drive with the wrong vehicle.
  7. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent reporting! Looks like you had great conditions and luckily for us, you have a lot of photos.
  8. flying.moto

flying.moto Earthbound Misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful area and amazing shots! Keep 'em coming! This update is a serious inspiration and much needed mind-clearing, when I am holed up in a hotel for work :clap I can totally relate and easily imagined riding along!

How i miss desert riding! :ricky

Funny enough, that blue track detour, last time I visited Lake Powell, was for work, and I took the rental car quite a ways up that track :lol3 I may even have a photo or a video from that area somewhere on my old phone :hmmmmm

Thank you! :lurk
  9. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard.
    Thanks. It took me longer than usual to get motivated. Always nice to know others appreciate the effort.
    Thanks. We had temps from 110F to below freezing. Short rain one day in the mountains but otherwise very nice weather.
    Thanks. Lots of great scenery ahead.
    timja1, Dillard, mung and 1 other person like this.
  10. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Day 5 Escalante to Bullfrog on Lake Powell, 125 miles
    [​IMG]
    We headed north into the mountains on Hells Backbone Rd. The road has a lot of washboard but is not difficult despite the tough sounding name.

very little traffic
    [​IMG]

Pretty Posey Lake is just a few miles off route and has a campground.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hells Backbone Rd makes a big loop through the forest and used to be the summer access road between Escalante and Boulder.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It does the loop to go around this big canyon.
    [​IMG]

The bridge across the gorge at the head of the canyon is sort of famous.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm glad its not the old original wooden one.
    [​IMG]

The gorge looking one way
    [​IMG]

Looking the other way
    [​IMG]

I've been wanting to do this road for years. It was definitely worth it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The road dropped fairly steeply out of the mountains, not the direction you would want to pedal up. :D

Out of the tall pines and heading into the Boulder valley.
    [​IMG]
  11. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    We re-connected with the highway to Boulder for a short bit and then onto the awesome Burr Trail.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sugar fairy was here
    [​IMG]

The famous switchbacks
    [​IMG]

We headed south on Notom Rd and took the Big Thompson Mesa Rd detour. Part of it was rough.
    [​IMG]

It was really rough and rocky near the Brimhall Arch trailhead but the views were worth it.
    [​IMG]

The incredible Waterpocket Fold
    [​IMG]

The arch
    [​IMG]

Zoom view of the arch
    [​IMG]

You wouldn't know this fabulous canyon was here based on the views from the Bullfrog road.
    [​IMG]
    We decided to back track to Bullfrog Rd versus continuing on the rough detour road (refer to EBDB Corollary #1).

It would be a nice spot for lunch, but again we did not feel like eating in the heat.

Lake in the distance
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had been this way about 14 years ago. I didn’t remember it being so rugged and colorful so it was worth re-visiting.
    [​IMG]

spot the Dirtbag
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As we entered the Rec Area, the entrance booth was unmanned but they have self-service pay machines. Just as I purchased our passes ($25 each), an exiting driver said he was told he didn’t need to buy a pass. Ok, Lake Powell NRA, you got my money, use it wisely!

We stayed at the nice but very pricey Defiance House Lodge (which stung even more after buying passes we didn’t need!)

Excuse the mess
    [​IMG]

They do a good job of watering the sidewalks. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    We backtracked to the gas station/store and got groceries, including frozen burritos, of course!

Boys with Big Toys
    [​IMG]

Girl with Mighty DRZ :gdog
    [​IMG]
  12. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    IN for another western tour.....as always, you guys bring the best out of the west
    Critic and flying.moto like this.
  13. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Day 6 Bullfrog to Blanding UT, 160 miles (should have been 135 mi)

Another day with a surprise. Actual=blue/purple. Planned=red.
    [​IMG]
    Yesterday I confirmed that the gas pumps were open 24 hours (the store is not). This morning we went for gas. The pump would not work! Panic attack! We wanted to catch the earliest ferry and needed gas.

A driver was at another pump and had no trouble. Just the one pump I tried would not work. Crisis averted!

We got to the ferry landing plenty early and waited. And waited. And waited. Funny to see the UT highway sign on the ramp.
    [​IMG]
    Another motorcyclist in line went to get cell reception and found out the ferry was not running today.

Lesson learned: Don’t believe a week-old ferry schedule. Check it the day before and again that morning.

We headed north on UT276 to UT95 to get back on track. (There is a gas station in Ticaboo on UT276.)

Still colorful anyway you slice it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We topped off our gas at Hite Marina. We considered taking the backroads through Bears Ears Nat'l Mon but the combination of this morning's delay and dark clouds building over those mountains put the kabosh on that.

We checked out the Fry Canyon Indian ruins. The track to the ruins is not marked, probably because it is too rough and sandy for passenger cars. The canyon top is rock slab.
    [​IMG]

The ruins are tucked under the overhang in the canyon.
    [​IMG]

a closer look
    [​IMG]

Fry Canyon
    [​IMG]

The access to the ruins would not have been easy, but that was probably the point.
    [​IMG]

No I will not take two steps back.
    [​IMG]
    Without the ferry ride, we had to skip dirt Red Canyon and Radium King Rds.

We had time to check out Fry Mesa Rd though. I spotted it on the gps as we were riding and hoped it would make a good burrito spot. It was a great road!

It climbs up the mesa, steeply at first. My gps file shows ~20- 25% grade. Then it levels out and climbs again moderately ~10% grade.

Looking back
    [​IMG]

Great views across the highway to White and Cheesebox Canyons…
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

… and the Cheesebox Butte. Hmm...cheese.. reminds me that its burrito time!
    [​IMG]

At the top there is an old mine and views to the north of the highway…
    [​IMG]

… and west to Radium King Rd where we would have come from if the ferry was running.
    [​IMG]
    There was a rough 2-track continuing over Fry Mesa but it looked like it was rarely used and probably washed out in places— but for someone looking for a challenge, check it out.

Heading back to the highway
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We took a detour on dirt Picket Rd which was short but enjoyable. It was probably the original road through the area because it crosses a spring.

We climbed over Combs Wash Ridge which is pretty impressive, but not many places to pull over for photos — so no photos.

We turned north onto dirt Cr 228 and 268 past the Shumway Mining area. This was a scenic road that climbed over some ridges before entering Blanding.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In Blanding we stayed at the Super 8. The lobby smelled like curry but the room was fine and pretty big. We could have done some break dancing — if we knew how and if the floor wasn’t carpeted.

The grocery store was across the street.
  14. KC10Chief

KC10Chief Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent! I love riding out west. There aren't enough days in a life time to explore everything out there. Keep going with the photos!
  15. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us on your adventure.
  16. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Day 7 Blanding UT to Cortez CO, 155 mi
    [​IMG]

We headed north on Johnson Rd and climbed onto a bluff.
    [​IMG]

The road crew didn’t miss a crack. If you squint, you can see Mr. Bib.
    [​IMG]

without squinting
    [​IMG]

I don’t know what crop was here before the colorful weeds.
    [​IMG]

I didn't research this road much. It was a big surprise. It climbed to 10,100 ft in the Manti-LaSal NF and the fall colors were wonderful.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Happy happy joy joy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aspens too
    [​IMG]

It was cold and started to rain but only for a few minutes. The only rain of the trip.
    [​IMG]

Looking back
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We only saw 3 vehicles in 30 miles.
    [​IMG]
    We eventually dropped out of the mountains, through Monticello and onto Hwy 491 eastbound.

Near the CO border we took backroads across the plains.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dove Creek friendly Dino. Wouldn't you have loved to have that in your backyard as a kid?
    [​IMG]

Backroad from Dove Creek. The Manti La-Sal NF waaaaay in the distance.
    [​IMG]

I stopped near a cattle pond. These four cows popped out of the pond and stood motionless watching me for several minutes.
    [​IMG]

Side trip to Dolores River Canyon. There is a picnic table here. Good spot for burritos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A soft and rutted side road I had planned to take. Never mind!
    [​IMG]

Back on track
    [​IMG]

Part of the TAT
    [​IMG]

We made a loop into the San Juan National Forest to visit a lookout tower.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lookout was a no go.
    [​IMG]

We cut through a primitive camping area and onto a fun two-track.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We got sidetracked. Oops. Probably the only time I've done singletrack on a DRZ. No problem when its level ground!
    [​IMG]

Back on track.
    [​IMG]

They are constructing power lines (?) nearby and a convoy of a dozen big haul trucks rolled through, each one pulling a double trailer. Glad we didn't meet them on the road.
    [​IMG]

We wanted to stay in Dolores but couldn't get a reservation. In Cortez we chose the Best Western Turquoise Inn. It was very nice and quiet because our room was near the back off an enclosed courtyard. They served a hot breakfast.

The grocery store was across the street.
  17. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Thanks. There's so much variety out west it never gets dull.
    Thanks for coming along.
    MotorPsycho Miko likes this.
  18. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Always enjoy your rides---------thanks again !!!!

I hate it when I write a ride report or am reading one and some guy noses in and tells you that you missed this and that.........you can't see everything.

But wanted to ask-------if you two have stayed at or visited the 3 Step Hideaway North and East of Monticello--------that's my riding buddy "Dingweeds" place ????

Seems I remember you getting close to it before ????
    Animal Instinct and Bill Dirt like this.
  19. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Day 8 Cortez to Silverton CO, 100 mi
    [​IMG]
    We took CO145 northeast through Dolores because taking backroads would require going out of our way and then backtracking. It was cold at highway speed. Brrr.

Heading east to Divide Road. If you’ve never done this road I highly recommend it!
    [​IMG]

The first 7 miles are smooth sailing as it climbs gently.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Loving it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As it turns away from Roaring Fork Creek and continues climbing it gets a little rougher.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it gets rough and rutted for about 10 miles. Its not technical but it requires attention and a lot of time on the pegs.

Its worth it! Near the top.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking back. The road is also part of the CO Trail. Check out the ruts. These were due to erosion. Others were from vehicles when it was muddy. Regardless of the source, ruts were almost constant.
    [​IMG]

This is another road from CO145 at this intersection. It is signed “steep narrow”. Maybe next time! The main road was rough enough for me.
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah.
    [​IMG]

Smooth for a short while then it got steep and rocky heading down to the creek.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice spot for burritos! Found an unopened can of IPA in the creek. Pack that for later.
    [​IMG]

Past the creek the road was in good condition.
    [​IMG]
    The road becomes Hermosa Park Rd and comes out at Purgatory Ski area.

After a short stint north on US 550 we took Lime Creek Road. It is a “dirt” road that is mostly rock. Its fine at the start with a nice home in the background.
    [​IMG]

It was the original road to Silverton and rough the whole way. Its 10 miles but will feel longer.
    [​IMG]

Expect lots of peg time.
    [​IMG]

Most people stopped here (3 miles in) and went hiking because the road got steeper and narrower. Very little traffic the rest of the way.
    [​IMG]

It was worth it, but I would not do it again.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It drops to the creek and there are some primitive camps spots.
    [​IMG]

You're probably thinking "it doesn't look that bad". That's what I said after watching a M/C video of the whole road. Its not technical, but you will get tired of the rocks. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We re-connected with US 550 and checked out small but nice Andrews Lake.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In Silverton we stayed at the dated but fine Triangle Motel. The town was very busy and most of the hotels were full and pricey.

Several nice things about the motel:
    1. Across the street from the liquor store
    2. Part of a gas station and C store (free ice for our beverages from the liquor store)
    3. Very good pizza made in the C store
    4. Self serve breakfast items and coffee included
  20. Eastbay Dirtbag

Oddometer:
    Hello and Thanks.
    No, we have not stayed there. I knew it was in Utah but hadn't checked where. Maybe one of these years.
    Animal Instinct likes this.