2 friends, 2 bikes, 2 months

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by garrydymond, Mar 3, 2020.

1. garrydymond

garrydymond Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It started with a phone call to my friend Steve. Steve lives in England and I live in Mexico City. We were talking about bikes and Steve said he liked to ride more than restore bikes. For some reason we came up with a plan of going to California and riding around with frequent stops for ice cream. We are both 65 and retired or semi retired. Quite a bit of thinking went on over the next few months. I found a company that rents bikes in Redondo Beach. Steve will rent a Yamaha FZ07. Steve will fly into LA around March 24 and I will leave home March 10.
    We will camp, use Tent Space and the occasional hotel. The route will include LA, PCH, San Francisco, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and a lot in between.
    Steve will fly home around May 26, hence the 2 month part and I will ridehome. 2 months for Steve around 3 months for me.
    It is Steve's first big trip and his first time in the USA. I have traveled a fair bit, especially since I retired.
    We already have some great people from Tent Space who will put us up but will contact more as the trip progresses.
    Please give us any suggestions you think may help us on our trip.
    Pics to come once I get on the road.
  2. Josh_182

Josh_182 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In!!
  3. steved57

steved57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in - I've ridden all those area y'all are gonna love it
  4. garrydymond

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200226_124957.jpg
    I changed the engine oil and final drive oil. The bike has 114,000 kms on it. It seems ready for another long trip.
    I practiced packing. This is pretty much how it will be. Steve's FZ07 has no luggage so I am taking a tank bag and a dry bag to strap on the back seat. His clothes will go into one of my panniers. I am also taking a GPS I had lying around and my wife's heated vest. I will also buy a SIM card for his phone. They cost about 8 DLLs a month her with coverage in Mex, USA and Canada with unlimited calls and free social media etc. This means we will be able to call each other when we get separated. We also plan to buy Sena SMH5s.
    My rough route will be Mexico City, Aguascalientes, Torreon. Chihuahua, Las Cruces, Tombstone, Tucson, Calexico, San Diego, LA.
    scudo, RedDogAlberta, Saso and 6 others like this.
  5. garrydymond

Oddometer:
    I got some stickers made. If you are on our route we would be happy to drop one off. received_677684786301003.jpeg
  6. garrydymond

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200310_112426.jpg All packed but I can't leave yet. I am waiting for the registration for my daughter's car. As we are in Mexico sometimes things get complicated. I paid a "fixer" to get the new plates and the registration for her car. He got the plates on Friday but not the registration document which he should get today. He couldn't get it yesterday as women didn't go to work and in the government they can't work without them. Perhaps now they will get equal pay and opportunities.
    Why didn't my daughter do this you may ask? She just moved to Sweden and she left the car with me to sell.

Attached Files:

scudo likes this.
  7. garrydymond

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200310_112514.jpg IMG_20200310_112507.jpg The delay gave me the chance to rethink my packing and I added a tank bag plus one of the new stickers.
    scudo and rgiroux like this.
  8. garrydymond

Oddometer:
    The adventure began today. Mexico to Aguascalientes. I got caught in morning traffic leave the city. I started laughing and told myself "You guys are going to work. I'm going to San Francisco".
    I met these guys on the road. It looks like they have been riding a Loong time. IMG_20200311_121823.jpg IMG_20200311_123416.jpg

Attached Files:

scudo, pratered and roadcapDen like this.
  9. garrydymond

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200311_145046.jpg
    I had lunch at a small chicken place called Pollo Loco . They are all over Mexico. This one was about an hour from Aguascalientes. It wasn't great but half a chicken and a bottle of water for 80 pesos or around 4 DLLs is a pretty good deal.
    scudo likes this.
  10. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Nice, the Don Pollo chain in El Salvador had good deals too and was tasty!
  11. garrydymond

Oddometer:
    Not much to report today. I left my brother in law's place at 7:30 and got here a little after 4. I have no idea
    why it took so long. I found a cheapish hotel with A/C. IMG_20200312_155539.jpg I am worried a about crossing the border and less worried about getting back into Mexico 3 months from now. Fortunately Steve is from the UK and there a no flight restrictions today. I should cross the border on Sunday but may push a little and cross on Saturday.
    scudo likes this.
  12. garrydymond

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200313_153901.jpg IMG_20200313_071053.jpg

A few pictures from yesterday. I rode on the libre from Torreon to Chihuahua. It was through mostly desert but it was a cold day, for me, and I had the heated grips on a lot of the way. In Chihuahua I took the tourist bus tour around town. It included Pancho Villa's house with the car he was killed in. Apparently he was attacked by 9 assassins who fired between 150-200 times at him and the 6 other people in the car. Taking this into account the car had very few bullet holes.
    Pancho Villa was a womanizer and was married 25 times. I am still happily married to my first wife and see no reason to look for another. On the other hand I have gone through a lot of motorcycles over the years.
    scudo, td63, Drybones and 3 others like this.
  13. garrydymond

Oddometer:
    Today is a make it or break it day. By early afternoon if all goes well I will be in the USA. Tonight I hope to camp on BLM land near Las Cruces NM.
    scudo and Drybones like this.
  14. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    Good luck and hope to see you Sunday or Monday
  15. garrydymond

Oddometer:
    I got a message from Steve. Flights from the UK have been banned. I was 2 hours from the border when I read his message. I turned around and am slowly going home with my tail between my legs.
    scudo likes this.
  16. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Dang.
  17. Vrode

Vrode Still learning.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer. Hope this is just a delay and you guys get this in at some point.
  18. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    All the bars in California are closed, anyways
  19. garrydymond

Oddometer:
    It has been almost a year since the trip was put off. At first we thought we would be able to do it in 2021 but the US Mex border is closed to tourists going North and now doesn’t seem to be the right time. We are thinking 2022. Hopefully by then my wife’s cancer treatment will have finished and I won’t be so tied into dates for hospital appointments.
    I have changed the stickers twice and figure in 2022 I will get new ones made.
    Stay safe everyone. image.jpg
    scudo, rudy4pl and pratered like this.
  20. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Damn this Covid! I was looking forward to this.
    Ohio_Danimal likes this.