2 into 1 exhaust?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by BigMac, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Hambone950

Hambone950 Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Oddometer:
    SOrry if this is a dumb jock question but does/ could the heat of the adjacent pipe affect shock performance?
  2. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    not anymore than the stock setup probably.
  3. 950TRANSALP

950TRANSALP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will be easy to sheild one side rather than the whole thing .
    My right leg does feel it a little more than before .:eek1
  4. 950TRANSALP

Oddometer:
    Most of those are the boss's . My tellie skis are up stairs PUP.
  5. boyd32450

boyd32450 Dirt Newbie

Oddometer:
  6. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
  7. VTvfr

VTvfr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone.... anyone.... Bueller.... Bueller

[​IMG]
  8. reconsmr

reconsmr Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm running my SE with the left side mid pipe capped, runs smoother further down the RPMS, no imbalance in the motor till about 10 MPH lower in the higher gears and pulls as hard as before right up to the top. Decatted with usual sommers mods, no slot in airbox door though. Have yet to get a MPG reading due to snow and ice but it feels smoother all around and is quieter than the duals too. I doubted it would work as the H is a 90 and not looking too condusive to flow but the added back pressure (I'm sure it has added some) helped it overall. I have a SMR set up exactly the same with the decatted duals still in place so I can ride back to back, nice improvment, worth trying for the scrap of aluminum plate it takes to fab it up.
  9. youngwerth

youngwerth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I talked to Bill today, he said they are almost done, still getting the fit right. Hang in there, I'm sure it will be a great pipe.
  10. dura-ace

dura-ace east bay moto scum

Oddometer:
    Just finished up my 2 into 1, Had a stock mid pipe, Just cut the drive side pipe and used one of the bends to reroute it into the right side, Really easy!! 20 minutes worth of work. Mellows the power out, Need to play with my jetting alittle more, Really quiet with a Leo Vince muffler. "D"
  11. Nostrildamus

Nostrildamus Adventurer

Oddometer:

---------------

very similar to what i get -regardless of surface!
  12. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    get me a bike (in WI) and I'll make one. Full header or rear system. :D Along with a fuel tube/tank to utilize space left behind.

The biggest reason OEM's use a twin exh is it's much easier to silence.

I've made a few on other bikes, one of which was my SuperChicken. It lost a bunch of weight but was a bit loud for most street riding. The other was a TL1000 Street tracker. I did not hear or ever see that way cool bike run.
  13. 950TRANSALP

Oddometer:
    Mine got more reasonable with a single pipe with a quiet tip . I had the orig. Q FMF then tryed the Q2 (the black KTM pipe ) that was even louder in spite of what they advertised . :ear Just sayin .
  14. reconsmr

reconsmr Banned

Oddometer:
    Mine is definetly quieter with the stock de catted can.

I'm sure someone has a midpipe they could spare to get a new one side mid fabbed up. Who's got one knockin around, its all you really need to make, the can/pipe mount and sliding band style can/frame mount can be anything past that.
  15. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    I'm embarking on the project many of us have thought about: building a 2 -> 1 exhaust, for the specific purpose of creating an empty space for more fuel capacity.

Ultimately, this post may turn into :spam because making one may not be much less expensive than making a bunch, in which case I'd start a business to sell them... but since I haven't made any sort of decision yet, it's not spam yet. :deal :D

In anticipation of questions about that, I started a vendor thread here so that we don't junk this thread up.

I'm lucky to have both an Adventure and Superenduro right now. I'm starting my work on the SE because it was already in pieces, but these same concepts will work on either variety.

Anyway:

First step was chopping up a stock "H" pipe to turn it into a 2 into 1.

[​IMG]

Here's the finished product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe that it will be necessary to make a larger diameter pipe past the junction, but I have dyno time reserved this week to find out for sure. I'll be testing the bike full stock, with 2 neptunes (baffles in and out), and with 1 neptune. I won't have time to change jetting between pulls, but I suspect we'll learn something anyway...

Mounted:
    [​IMG]

Then, I took some styrofoam and mocked up a tank shape.

[​IMG]

Used packing tape to attach mounting points:

[​IMG]

Glassed the top in to make it a bit more durable:

[​IMG]

And presto-wallah, a reartank prototype for the SE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ultimately, the shape needs a little tuning, but it is ergonomically excellent (no edges to catch, impossible to feel when on the bike), is out of the way as the swingarm travels, improves the balance of the bike front to back, and will give over 2 additional gallons. Because of the length, I believe that the finished product should be filled with baffling foam to avoid a back to front slosh (or vice versa) under braking.

I've been kicking around constructions for the tank with a bunch of folks over the last few weeks, and it's been an interesting learning experience. The two methods that seem most practical are forming aluminum, and rotomolding.

The advantage of the aluminum option is that the cost for the first might be lower, but I anticipate that it would be easy to dent in a fall, and I worry about the effects of vibration on aluminum over the long haul.

Rotomolding costs a lot to make the first one... but I'm meeting with a vendor this week to find out just how bad the damages would be.

Anyway, I'll report the facts here. I think this will be an interesting one to play out!
  16. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    results :ear
  17. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Beautiful welds!!

What the heck did you do to your muffler?? Beat it with a baseball bat?

Keep up the good work!! You da man!
  18. 950TRANSALP

Oddometer:
    Nice weld job .:evil Just sayin , I would loose the crossover pipe . It won't help the flow with a single end can . Did you run that bike in the 1,000 ?
  19. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's the 1000 bike, and the Neptune got to meet a rock at around racemile 300, we're not that far along in our ride report yet, but it's coming.
  20. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neduro,
    I wish you would have posted this last week. I've got about 5 extra 2-1 merge collectors and I'm in Keystone right now. Could have brought them out for you. I'm doing the same thing but will merge into 2.5" diameter cause that's what I got laying around. Muffler off of 1000 gsxr. I will dyno this set-up also.