2 into 1 exhaust?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by BigMac, Jul 15, 2005.

1. advjackass

advjackass orange crusher

Oddometer:
  2. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    Tested!

I took my 2 into 1 from above to the dyno, results are posted here.

A hint: the results surprised me!
  3. reconsmr

reconsmr Banned

Oddometer:
    I knew my Arse-O-meter was spot on on this one, my bike has smooth power and no vibes from idle up. Good to see it confirmed on a dyno! I'm tempted to do this to my SMR too but that dual setup looks right on it.
  4. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    Ned's results Kind-a looks like it proves the old rule of thumb. Hold back pressure and you'll increase bottom end and reduce top end, obviously the opposite is also true. There are limits and the trick is to find a happy medium. I think a run of 2 into 2 with no exhaust restrictions would prove this even more.
    So for a V twin or thumper road / race bike that has globs of low end and limited top end (SMR), I personally wouldn't do it, I'd want the pipes as open and free flowing as possible.

There is very good reason why factory race bikes use duel setup for supermoto and the same bike / engine will have single pipe for enduro / MX.
  5. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    Not quite the case, top end was very similar either way. Mid and upper mid was really the only place the 2->2 held an advantage.
  6. Sheep Shagger

Sheep Shagger Show me your fleece

Oddometer:
    Sure you are right, it's hard to see looking at the graph since the green & blue get mixed up on my crappy screen. From what I see it looks like
    2 into 2 with baffles (holding back pressure) comes in the mid range lower in the RPM and just as strong, also holds the torque longer and has a less steep fall-off.
    2 into 1 no baffles (least amout of back pressure) comes in later in the game, giving you same torque just later in the game, and a lot more HP right before it's falls off.
    I'm looking at the torque first with HP as an after thought, since that's what matters.

All this for me is completely academic since I'm not a good enough rider too really notice much / if any difference in those changes. Certainly makes me think seriously about the SE as a long range DS bike now, since it open up some decent tank options.
  7. amaunu

amaunu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. jackr

jackr 2008 KTM 950 SE

Oddometer:
    Right on Ned. You made a change to your bike and rather than speculating about the changes by feel, you went out and got dyno readings that show exactly the results. That is the way things should be done!

I have a 2008 SE on order. Without ever even riding an SE I know that there are two things I will not like about the bike, the weight and the fuel tank size. Nothing I have read about so far even comes close to reducing the weight of the bike as your two into one system does. As a bonus the non-muffler side of the bike is now open for an auxiliary tank. I'm looking forward to seeing your "two into one exhaust / extra tank" project completed. Keep up the good work.:clap
  9. piercalif

piercalif Biciveloce

Oddometer:
    Very happy with my 2 in 1 build. My decision to go for a single exhaust is primarily functional, I achieved good results: more power (more torque and speed), less weight, and better sound.
    The only problem I had was more heat in from the collector so I decide to use some exhaust tape.
    Next step will be to fit an auxiliary gas tank, I don't find useful to have an extra gas tank attached to the bike at all times, since my goal is to make a lighter bike for off-road. I only need more gas if I am doing a long trip, so I am thinking to build a gas tank attached to the side of pannier filling the void that the missing pipe left.This build would allow me to have 2 different set ups, one for long range and one for off-road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>PS: I forgot to mention, that th total cost was around $300.00 (pipe came like new off a an R1 for only $100.00)</o:p>
  10. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    walker evans on in the pict? mmmmmmmmmm
  11. Triwi

Triwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. viatormundi

viatormundi Citizen of the world

Oddometer:

Do other 2 into 1 users have this heat problem?
  13. firebolter

firebolter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't feel anymore thanI did stock, or artleast I cannot tell.
  14. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:

Any of you guys tried this 2-into-1 setup ? I'm planning to go this route for my '07 990S and i'd like to have some feedback from YFF's, before i drop the dollas.
  15. memomate13

memomate13 chop chop

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering the same thing, has anyone tried the HT-Racing version?
    Oh, and nice avatar Mr. Vicks

memo
  16. 950TRANSALP

950TRANSALP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had my BBriggs Y pipe ceramic coated and it runs cooler than the stock H pipe . Very noticeable with low top shoes ( I know ....bad idea )
    Might coat the whole pipe this winter $$$ ?
  17. Oz Nutter

Oz Nutter Long timer

Oddometer:

Got mine coated by Jet Hot Coatings - Castlemaine Victoria Australia

Hopefully improves heat dispersal.

Cost - $93 Aust dollars, (removal of factory coating and postage included)
  18. kymbo

kymbo kymbo

Oddometer:
    well punters a true single 2 into 1 is tune length or a pipe system with diffrent length is interferance system .
    so all but most system available full into the interferance style.
  19. Oz Nutter

Oz Nutter Long timer

Oddometer:

Working well so far...
  20. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are the pros and cons? (tuned vs interference)