2 Months on a Bike in Colombia - 2019 and 2020

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Champe, Nov 24, 2019.

1. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I learned that colombians don't want their country mispelled. I get that, can't blame them. Anyhow, my neighbor came back from Costa Rica a few weeks ago and had a blast there. He didn't ride because his buddy had to back out of a moto trip they had planned. They were going to rent top dirt bikes and get after it. He's going back there next month for his birthday
    Cal, falcofred and Champe like this.
  2. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spelling the name correctly is all about respect. If you respect their culture you will likely get respect back. Insult them and you will likely suffer some consequences. Insult the wrong guy in the wrong place and you might not be seen again.

This concept was driven home to me in Jamaica. A common greeting there is to say the word “respect”. And never ignore a passerby. Say hello or something else that is friendly. Set a positive vibe as soon as possible.

The “Colombia” spelling comes from an early explorer named Colombo. Same guy some say discovered America. He was Italian and his name has no u in it, unless modified to English.
    Cal likes this.
  3. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Charles, keeping the masses stuck at home up to date on Colombia! Thank you for the work you put into the RR!
    Champe likes this.
  4. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tom is alive and well in Colombia. His KTM is still running well (sorry KTM haters) and he is about to complete his 3 day loop. He sent me a few photos. One is of a family of four on a 180cc bike giving him waves and thumbs up signs. They are all on a dirt road there.

He also mentions that Sunday is National Bicycle Day in Colombia. In Bogota they close a lot of streets for the occasion. Happens every week. The cyclists are very serious, well equipped, and many like the challenge of the mountains. I wonder if Colombia is well represented at the Tour de France.
  5. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok... I looked it up. Of the 30 countries participating, Colombia has the 6th most riders at 10. The top 5 countries (in number of participants) are all European. France is number one with 39.

So my conclusion is that Colombia does very well. They sure do practice hard.
  6. steved57

steved57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Champe
    Just read the entire ride report over the last two evenings. The report is very well written, informative and with great pic's so thanks for the time and effort you have apparently put in to this as I've enjoyed it thoroughly and looking forward to more
    Champe likes this.
  7. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your well written positive review. Makes the effort worth while. I do often wonder if anyone appreciates the sacrifice in time that could be spent enjoying more experiences while traveling instead of sitting at a keyboard. I have personally benefitted from other rider’s experiences though so this can be considered pay back. Thanks again.
    steved57 and pro69ss like this.
  8. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Something for you and your RR: One thing I learned from my own RR is that it's pleasing to go back and look at the photos and re-read the adventures. The memories remain more vivid than just looking at old pictures. A RR ends up being a modern version of a travel journal.
    steved57 and Champe like this.