2 Moto Hobos Touring

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by s4dreamer, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Pplater

Pplater 2MotoHobos

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    After our students sat for their Cambridge GCE O levels English papers in the morning, we took off at 9pm on 22 Oct 2019. Currently sitting at San Francisco airport at 3am, awaiting transfer to Denver, lying on the couches with the backpacking Hobos.
    wilfred, Critic, 08StangGT_CS and 4 others like this.
  2. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this.......Let the Adventures begin!!
    Pplater likes this.
  3. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Starting a ride from Denver in late September, let's just say lack of stones isn't an issue you two possess. Ride safely and well. Good luck.
  4. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Best wishes for miles and miles of happy riding. I'll be following your stories here and on facebook.
  5. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best of luck to the both of you. here from California.
    Be safe and enjoy.
  6. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Interestiing starting point for this time of year! Looking forward to seeing your travel plans/tracks, whether north or south or east or west.
  7. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to finally meet you two!

I strongly encourage you to keep up with the Tent Space. I've had universally great experiences using the Tent Space, and Doug is one of the best, if you make it out that way in California.

IMG_5234.JPG

Kelvin and Debbie showed up a couple of days ago just in time for the first significant snowfall in Colorado this year. We currently have a couple inches of snow with more on the way. I was glad to hear that they have a Plan B for cold weather when they intend to head south in the first week of November.

Hope to see you guys again before you head out.

Jamie
  8. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    LOL! I was wondering why you sent me a pic of yourself last night...

Screenshot_20191028-094706.png

Ohayo Jamie!
    wilfred and Pplater like this.
  9. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see the pic went through. It gave me an error on my end.
    Pplater likes this.
  10. terryna

terryna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulation and safe touring[​IMG]
    Pplater likes this.
  11. Pplater

Pplater 2MotoHobos

Oddometer:
    The Opening Gambit - Denver Snowstorm

[​IMG]

We touched down in Denver after 27 hours flying and transiting, hitting the ground running by meeting our kind host Alex Lafleur for lunch and going straight to Sun Enterprises, the dealer for the first of two Honda CB500X motorcycles we were purchasing. After jumping through the relatively straightforward loops of signing paperwork for the motorcycle purchase and handing over USD$7200 in cash, we had a heart stopping moment when the staff processing the insurance paperwork declared that we couldn't be insured after checking her workstation computer.

[​IMG]

Thankfully, we had Progressive Insurance covering us for USD $300 for the first month for 2 people, and a monthly recurring charge of USD$250 for the subsequent months. We would terminate the insurance payment once we were out of the United States. When the time came to renew the insurance for annual registration which was necessary for the issuance of Carnet De Passage, we would get a policy for a month again.

We quickly realized our plan for installing the equipment ourselves was going to consume more time than we originally estimated, given the social activities lined up and kit we still had to purchase to be ready to ride. Furthermore, our maintenance skills learnt was enough to perform routine servicing, but we really had little confidence in improvising on installation works ourselves. There are no dry runs, no shakedowns, and a snowstorm was coming to Denver soon.

[​IMG]

This was the morning view when we woke up the next day. I'm 34, and I have never seen snow in my life. So it was perhaps time for a bucket list item moment - throwing snow. I couldn't feel my fingers after I did this the second time.

[​IMG]

We brought our purchased Pelican luggages, Oxford heated grips and K&N Air Filter, and sponsored Puig crashbars, windshields, handguards and fender extenders to the dealers to install them for us, and also completed the paperwork for the 2nd motorcycle dealer, Fay Myers. The labour cost at Sun Enterprises was USD$330 for 5.5 hours, after a 50% discount was thrown in as the bike was purchased from them. However, at Fay Myers, my eyes went wide open when Debbie and I were quoted USD$1100 for the installation of the same parts on the 2nd motorcycle.

[​IMG]

My mind was telling me this was a daylight robbery and the stress levels were racketing up, but I also knew I had no leverage in this negotiation. I didn't had the time to find another shop to finish the job. So, I took out the newspaper article written by Zaihan Mohamed Yusof and explained to Chris Ortega, the sales staff our itinerary and the labour prices we paid at the first dealer, Sun Enterprises, persuading hard for a discount and appealing to his kindness to do us a favour and consult his superiors. After some tense moments waiting, we were informed they would bring the price down to USD$660, matching the labour hours quoted by Sun. We paid up in relief.

This meant that on day 2 in Denver, we could leave in the afternoon for Granby, Colorado where our host, Alex and his wife Carli had a home in the mountains, with stunning views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Colorado mountain silence is etched in my memories, and the walk in the woods cleared the fog in my mind. There is something healing about walking on snow in silence, with no ambient noise, nothing but woods ahead of you and on the sides. Alex explained how he tracked elk and deer, with a grin about his successful kill last year. We spent the weekend cooking, chatting over meals and soon it was time to fly to Vancouver, Canada, where 2 special people were going to pick us up from the airport. The motorcycles can wait in the Denver snowstorm in -9 celcius (16F). We were not going to ride anywhere in that weather. Denver was facing record cold weather that came early.

[​IMG]

12. Pplater

Pplater 2MotoHobos

Oddometer:
    It was more lack of local knowledge, poor luck and commitments on our part. We underestimated the Colorado cold, winter came earlier this year, and we wanted to see our students through their Cambridge GCE O levels English. We flew off on 22 Oct 9pm, the same day our students sat for their papers in the afternoon and evening.
  13. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    LOL I figured it was something like that. I hope you get a long enough break in the weather to head south soon Good luck.
    Pplater likes this.
  14. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    First snow! That is indeed special. Go south young man, it is much warmer down there.
    Pplater likes this.
  15. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    Rent a van and drive the bikes south to warmer weather.
    Pplater and chudzikb like this.
  16. Donson

Donson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting me come along on your epic journey!
    If you are in the Amarillo area, I would love to show you the local sights!
  17. nomad guy

nomad guy A legal alien

Oddometer:
    Good luck Debbie and Kelvin,
    If you guys need a place to stay and work on your bikes we are in Boulder, half an hour north west of Denver.
    Plenty of space and tools.
    Pplater likes this.
  18. Pplater

Pplater 2MotoHobos

Oddometer:

Thats the plan. Riding if there's a break in the weather. Putting the bikes on motorcycle delivery service if the cold persists. This may be the first Ride Report where the riders fly out of the starting point to meet people and tow their motorcycles before the trip begins :lol3:lol3:imaposer:imaposer
    severely and Yinzer Moto like this.
  19. Pplater

Pplater 2MotoHobos

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer. We're going to have to pass and head South asap. The longer we delay leaving Denver, the poorer our chances of riding out. Winter is coming :vardy
  20. Pplater

Pplater 2MotoHobos

Oddometer:
    That makes two of us. :lurk