2 smokers ; no power; slow speed

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Stick_man, Jun 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Stick_man

Stick_man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No air Box does nothing .

It does run a little better wo baffle but, not much. Strangely it was coated w oil despite my cleaning it recently . I think the pipe has too much oil in it from a gasket malfunction during a previous rebuild. The oil never got completely burned out since . I’m pretty sure the oil pump is working as it should
  2. Mark G

Mark G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just oil on the baffle is not a problem. Carbon cake build up is what kills power. If this were mine, after every thing you said, I'd be sure I timed it correctly statically using a dial indicator and an ohm meter. But I'm running out ideas.
  3. Stick_man

Oddometer:
    I think you’re on to something w timing. Forever I just been setting it so far advanced till it cannot go any more but now backed it off a bit. It was bogging bad and presumably lean since it runs better w choke on. I think it time for stock carb jets and settings and continue to retard timing.... btw here’s how Time it ; it isn’t that easy on a side stand looking side ways to align marks but, it should be more in the mid range than I have been putting it I bet

Attached Files:

4. Mark G

Mark G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since you've gone to all this trouble, I would double check it with a dial indicator and piston position.
  5. Stick_man

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to use a Poland spring bottle or something as a alternate gas tank to bypass a possible fuel delivery issue? At least without spilling gas everywhere? I suspect the petcock. The filter is clean but, i noticed it was really running like crap yet again but even worse. I had like no gas. I turned on the reserve and at least it was running like normal crap not really bad as the other time..
  6. Stick_man

Oddometer:
    I think it might be the coil/cdi box. I was watching a you tube vid of this guy whose chainsaw would not rev -- and he was saying no rev mean exhaust or coil not keeping up with the timing when reved. Might as well try it -- seems like everything else is ruled out.
    spokester likes this.
  7. Stick_man

Oddometer:
    Yup!!! 4th gear cruising :D:D:clap
    Mark G and dave0 like this.
  8. Mark G

Mark G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great hear! But I gotta ask: Where did you find coil and CDI box for this orphan?
  9. Stick_man

Oddometer:
    Charleston custom cycle in Illinois sold these Ducati CDI/ coil units that replaced the oem CDI box and seperate coil which I’ve been running for years now in it. Luckily i saved the oem coil when doing the Ducati conversion and since found a used CDI box on eBay. The guy apparently didn’t know what he had ; he sold me a misc parts package that included misc hardware and the cdi for 16.50$
  10. Mark G

Mark G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, you lucked out! Congratulations, and enjoy that unusual machine. I had a '70 Baja 100 cc I raced a little motocross with back in the day. No cdi box on that one, just a straight flywheel magneto.
    Have fun!