2 stroke for Adventure / Motard??

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Beemarty, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Beemarty

Beemarty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all, a weird question.
    I'm currently selling my 2014 Tiger 800 XC SE, (that I don't actually own - Thanks Dad!) and am thinking of a project adventure / DS bike.

And by project I mean older Enduro, to be rebuilt ground up with all the goodies and bigger tank.

I'm wondering what the consensus is on say, an older KTM 300 EXC built up as a DS & with Motard wheels for playing on the road?? Are the engines up to a few kms like that?? or is it still that you'll fowl up the plugs etc...
  2. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    How about this?
    I've contacted the guy, if it's not too much I'm going to get it. It's already beaten to death, so I wouldn't be worried about scratching it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...00/1008584824?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

3. chaddhamilton

chaddhamilton Just the tip

Oddometer:
    I think a 300 EXC would be pretty sweet platform for your project. The EXC has the wide ratio gearing which makes the higher sustained street speeds do-able.

There was a guy on another forum who mentioned riding his 300EXC at 80mph for over an hour. Just a matter of getting the gearing right I think.

They're just great bikes all around and I wish I had one.
  4. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    A good friend had a 03 300EXC with a set of Wrap9's.

Power was never a problem.And as long as you remember its a 2 stroke dirt bike not a Honda Goldwing there very doible.
    What I meant by that is,the motor doesn't hold alot of oil and its not going to put up with long slab riding with the throdle in one postion for long times.
    It was great jamming round town,and ripping up the sport bike guys on the back roads.
    That said its still a race dirt bike.So changing oil should happen often.:lol3
    And if your gona do it,,,a kush drive hub would be a good investment.Unless you like swapn output shaft seals.:deal

And the local cops,,,you will get to know them by first names.Cause there isn't one anywhere that will let you pass without stopping you.
    That great 2 stroke sound and trail of blue smoke is like blood in the water for the cops.
    Just say'n.
  5. Mr. Carts

Mr. Carts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get yourself a Yamaha IT465 or 490 you cant beat displacement.
  6. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    60+hp at 250lbs.

Don't think lack of displacement would be an issue.Thats better power to weigh then an Enzo Ferrari.
    What are we talking,2 maybe 3 second 0-60mph?:huh

If that was a problem then a CR500 would be a lot easyer to find bike and parts.But there again at that level of power I don't think the 10-15hp difference would be a huge difference.
    Just say'n.:1drink
  7. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fEO1oFigXZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. pdxjim

pdxjim Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer:
    I have a plated 00 300exc that has been very good to me over the past 1.5 yrs of ownership.
    I've seen over 105mph lap after lap, held it at 75-80 for 30 mins at a time, done roadrace and kart track days and lotsa dirt/woods/fireroads etc.
    It's proven to be pretty much unstoppable, and I'm pretty lazy about service intervals.
    I think I'm about $3200 all in after buying a set of warp9s and btoo3rs 'Stones. Never gotten hassled by the cops either

Not particularly civilized, buts it's cheap, fun, versatile, and gets the job done.
  9. Beemarty

Beemarty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap:rofl
    Thanks all for the comments :) I love the CR500 drag guy... god those things fly!
    I own a '14 R1200GS Adv, and have done 5000kms on the Tiger 8, ridden many many different bikes, and recently looked at a KTM 690 Duke R to replace the Tiger 8 with.

I guess i'm looking for a light weight alternative to the GS, for a bit of fun. Hence the 690 Duke R. But it vibrates like hell. Just a thought... that if I could project up a Kato 300 or something, that has good suspenders to start with, it'd be a great back road bike, fun in the twisties and could do a day ride in the dirt also. Maybe i just need two 300's one motard, and one dirt bike... well, I'd probably kill myself on the dirt, so maybe a 350 4s for the dirt. hehehehe.

I haven't ridden a modern 2S, or any 2 smoker's for 15 years... do they vibrate? any probs with fowling plugs now??? Last one I rode, if you didn't have it tapped constantly, the plug fowled and it was game over.
    :lol3
  10. pdxjim

pdxjim Two Stroke Terror

Oddometer:
    I haven't fouled a plug on any of my 2T bikes in almost 20 years.

Holed lotsa pistons though.
  11. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of the Big Yamaha IT best so far.
    My sugestion would be a Suzuki PE400. this would be a great starting point for your project look them up.
  12. krautman

krautman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had my '02 for about two years love it reliable looks ugly but keeps on going !
  13. krautman

krautman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had my '02 for about two years love it reliable looks ugly but keeps on going !
  14. Highside>Lowside

Highside>Lowside Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about an 81 IT 465 done up Sumo style for a while now.

A twin shock Husky would be very tasty, as well. (I would go with an '82 XC 430, however, as I love the black tank)

[​IMG]
  15. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Now you are talking the husky would do it. :D A good choice.
  16. dhallilama

dhallilama Long timer

Oddometer:
    honestly as much as I dig Yamaha ITs (from the wee 175 through the 490).... a KTM 300 would be at the to of my list. there's no comparison; a huge leap in handling/suspension/performance.
    reliability, im not sure though. I've beat my IT250 and put it away wet. freeway runs at sustained speed. sand. woods. daily commuting. it takes the abuse well. still thinking if replacing it with an orange bike, though...
  17. theMISSIONARY

theMISSIONARY hunting and riding!!

Oddometer:

and a heap less vibration :deal
  18. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:

Like this. ...
    [​IMG]

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.
  19. miguelR

miguelR biker

Oddometer:
    or this?

[​IMG]
  20. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:

What is it ??.

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.