2 stroke for Adventure / Motard??

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Beemarty, Aug 28, 2014.

1. jon6.0

jon6.0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love my 2013 690 Duke. I've ridden it 600 miles in a single day at speeds of 75-85mph the whole time. The dual plug head really cut down on the vibes compared to my old 640 Adventure. That bike would shake itself across my garage when on the center stand. I also have a two stroke KTM 250XC that is street legal so I can get from trail to trail legally when I hop on the street. My 250 calls for a 50:1 mix ratio. I used to run 32:1 in my older two strokes. Some bikes now even call for 60:1. If your jetting is good you won't foul plugs. If you are real worried out it just pull in the clutch and wring it out every once in a while. I know some folks are using iridium plugs as well.
  2. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
  3. Duck_Pilot

Duck_Pilot Retired Roadracer

Oddometer:
    Liquid cooling is a big advantage, especially as you seem to want to use it street-bias. Both reliability and available power will be better.

An IT465/490 or PE400 could be lotsa fun, and I've thought of using one of those powerplants in an RZ-350 frame for a blasting canyon bike. Those are both air-cooled, but in a torque-based engine, and less peaky. Reliability may be fine on either for your use..... if you watch 'em. An MX engine will need more time and money in care. Look for at least a 5-speed gearbox for street use, 6 is better.

You may also want to look at older engines, without nikasil coated barrels. Less expensive to bore and re-sleeve experiments that way, after jetting and stress failures....... :lol3

Good luck.
  4. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Izh Planeta 350s single cylinder are often used for toring in russia and the like , parts everywhere for them and super simple.
    I got a 350 sport i would use if i had to and have no concerns at all.
  5. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    My best in Hungary toured Europe on a Izh !!.

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.
  6. Mr. Carts

Mr. Carts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or This:
    [​IMG]
  7. NortwestRider

Oddometer:

Ahhhh the old 465 !!
    Love it !!!!.

I know a lot about a few things,a little about a lot of things but I don't know everything about anything !!.
  8. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny that this thread pops up as I'm on the verge of trying to do the same with my Gas Gas EC 300 . It came wired for fr +r brake lights.Hi+Lo beams and has the elec start. I found a guy who swears he can get it titled for the road. I'd like to go up at least 1 tooth on the fr if it will fit.Won't be doing much till after the riding season is over though.
  9. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    I think next spring I'm going sell/trade my XT350 adventurer for a air cooled 2 stroke Enduro and make it street legal.I'm doing this with a IT490 right now but I want another 2 stroke Enduro that is more street worthy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    I have had my IZH years now i like it and cant see me ever selling it, not like its worth any thing any way. :lol3:lol3
  11. dualscotty

dualscotty premix

Oddometer:
    I have a 98 kdx 200 that I use for dual sporting and I love it works well.highway for a long time not the greatest but it does it.it loves the gravel roads though.
  12. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Looks like a 1980 model, due to the small, 38MM fork legs. (In 1981, Y went with 43MM tree trunks.)
  13. dualscotty

dualscotty premix

Oddometer:
    What is that
  14. G54B

G54B Super gumby

Oddometer:
    '81-'82 IT465.

That's true for the YZs. The ITs (175 aside) got the 43mm forks in '83.