2 stroke fun for 200 bucks

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by hardwaregrrl, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    Hey Jenna, don’t sweat it. Looks like you’ve amassed a great crew here to help out.

Now, if you could just find a sponsor to pay for parts and machining, you’d be all set. :lol3

If you haven’t re read this entire thread, go back and do it. It should help you decide which direction to proceed from this point.

You did get a short test ride on the bike. How did you like it?
  2. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was awesome! But my ass fell asleep and the bike made me feel like a giant.
    Not sure what to do yet, I'm not scrapping it, but I'm stuck till I get a new head and piston.
  3. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Wow, just saw the pictures. I don't know much about two strokes, but I'd bring it back to the machine shop and see what they could do for you. Does not look like the edges were chamfered. Not sure why you had a seizure, but looks like lack of oiling as others have said. Good luck.
  4. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The cable for the oil pump is missing. Gosh, I wonder why it siezed?

:huh
  5. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:

That was during her tear down and inspection before the rebuild. She mentioned that she checked the operation of it with the throttle movement after she was done so it had a cable on it.

:deal
  6. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Thanks for getting my back, Whitey....

Doode, you gotta read the whole thread before you start ripping me a new one. I'm dim, not dumb...
  7. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >" then it bogged out, it looked as though it was starved for fuel as there was no gas in the filter"

No premixed fuel = no oil.

What ratio did you run your premixed fuel? Note: Castrol 'R' 20:1, or maybe 25:1... Modern synthetics oils will mix leaner... But even then I'd still stay with 40:1 ratio for breaking in.

BTW, 'root out' your exhaust and intake passages... dremel moto tool, emery paper on a stick... etc. Intake with little swirl (mixes fuel)... exhaust nice and clean.
  8. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  9. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    :evil They don't know me very well...

Twillight, thanks for clarifiying your question...I wish I could answer it. I had some premix from my friends '74 model and I didn't ask her the mixture because I only used a little bit.

It's funny, Bgood and I were just talking about the fact that people will throw anything mixture wise into 2 stroke motors. By that we mean, it isn't an exact science. So I highly doubt my premix, however much or little it was, caused the seizure in 6 miles. I believe it to be a combo of a bad bore job, and air in the oil lines. I take full responsibility for the seizure, but I would like to fix it. Let me repeat that....I,I, I, not some 2 stroke tech, would like to fix it. So if you've got something to say that will help me, say it. "You should've done this" doesn't help me when the deed is done. So when I get the head and piston back, I'll post pics and you guys can fire away how I should do it. Thanks.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j7utJmxbBao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't feel too bad, I've wrecked shit that cost far more than this little mishap :lol3

My buddy ruined a new gearset in the rear end of his 57 Chevy because he was in a hurry to drive the car. Them gears don't last long without any lube in the housing :cry
  11. gvthnks

gvthnks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    please refresh our memory as to whether you replaced the left side crank seal?

I wouldn't have a machinist bore it and then find a piston. A good machinist will want the piston in hand before he completes the bore job. I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Chamfering the ports is easy and can be done at home with hand tools if the machinist doesn't do it.

The root cause of the failure, which I agree looks like a lack of lubrication has to be determined before throwing parts at it. If the clearance was excessive, you would probably have more marks at the bottom of the piston skirt than at the top. Too much clearance can also cause the piston to run hot as it doesn't transfer heat to the cylinder wall through the oil film.

Too hot can cause the piston to scuff and leave aluminum deposits on the cylinder wall like you have.

I'm still concerned about the crank seal. If it's leaking, you'll run lean no matter what and damaging pistons will be the result. For the cost of a seal, I'd replace it.

I'd also be prepared to go up 1 -2 jet sizes while breaking it in. During break in more heat is generated due to tight tolerances and the additional fuel will help counter that.

just my .02.

You're going about it the right way and no doubt you'll get this think licked and be able to enjoy riding it.
  12. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    Watching very closely.

I'm sorry that you had a Seizure, but I am paying attention and have my fingers crossed for you.

Good Luck!
  13. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Ohhhh...ouch:eek1
  14. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    look at it like this, at least you remembered to tighten down the bolts on your exhaust :baldy Thanks again, btw.
  15. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the encouragement!!
  16. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    if you go at racing like youre going after this thing, man watch out.
  17. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Something is just wrong with that bike. A Suzuki 185cc two stroke is indestructable. I raced and rallied one for years with the original piston and rings. Mine is behind the shed and I am sure that with a carb clean and a gas tank flush it would start and run fine. Why did the bike sieze? Something is wrong with the oil injection. Someone has screwed it up.

Dave :huh
  18. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    Yes, but I have yet to check the side you tightened down.:D
  19. Yamaguy55

Yamaguy55 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The weight listed is because it isn't car oil, but motorcycle oil. Too thick doesn't protect anything, just uses more horsepower to turn everything. Be sure to use something for wet clutches. If the trans oil was black, I can only guess it was either never changed or was car oil and the clutch plates discolored it. The trans oil made for two-stroke gearboxes is the way to go when you get this thing sorted.
    Again, don't use car oil, of any weight. It doesn't lubricate the engine, or if it does, it just lubricates the right side main bearing. It will do in your clutch plates, which probably are already done, but why make it worse?
  20. hardwaregrrl

Oddometer:
    What about 20/50 motorcycle oil? That is what we used.