1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2 stroke fun for 200 bucks

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by hardwaregrrl, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This all makes a lot of sense, my only question is where does the oil go after it is used to lube the crank? When you change the crankcase oil do you leave it a little low to account for the extra oil that will be introduced to the system? Doesn't the 2t oil thin down the other oil?
    Just curious.
  2. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    It is also burned in the combustion mixture and exits out the exhaust. The crank seals keep it separated from the trans oil.
  3. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Now it makes perfect sense! Thank you.
  4. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 stroke fun for 200 bucks. ironic title. no fun and no $200 :rofl

don't worry it'll all be worth it once it's done.
  5. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ha! I know, but at the time I thought it would just need 50 dollars worth of TLC. But it is still fun, as learning often is.:D
  6. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    When it's running, we can hit the trails! I'm dropping bearings back in my transmission and crank and reassembling this weekend. So glad I don't have an oil inject unit to deal with :)
  7. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:

How does my little Suzuki M31 two stroke get lube to the crank since it runs strictly premix? :ear
  8. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    Probably not a CCI style injection.
  9. Grider Pirate

Grider Pirate Long timer

Oddometer:
    The crankcase is part of the intake tract. Anything coming from the carburetor goes there first before being pumped up the transfer ports into the combustion chamber. The bearings get what they need from the oil in the fuel while it's down there. This is why two strokes of even moderate performance can't survive with bushings at the wrist pin or big end of the connecting rod. Bushings (and plain bearings) take considerable lubrication, while roller bearings (big end) and needle bearings (wrist pin end) need very little.
  10. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    Not true with CCI, as the LH bearing is SHIELDED!! The air fuel mix is shrouded from the mix, and the lower end bearing is also shielded by smaller slits in the rod, than a pre-mix motor.

Look at the diagrams or take one apart, it is very obvious that disconnecting the injection will lead to failure of the bearings.
  11. Grider Pirate

Grider Pirate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Copy all. Vtwin was asking about his 'little M31' two-stroke, saying it was strictly pre-mix. If his M31 is supposed to be a CCI system, then by all means, he should be using the pump.
  12. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Thanks GP. Really seems like it's just not enough oil to lube bearings in pre mix, but they've been like that for years, so I guess it works.:dunno
  13. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    It's actually more about shielding of the bearings.

Suzuki copied SAAB's oil injection concept for the Sport, Shrike, and Monte Carlo 850 cc engines, all of which have an oil injection system that forces oil directly into the main crank bearings and the cylinder walls. To keep the oil in there from getting too diluted, they also had some extensive stamped metal shielding that covered the main bearings and crankwheels. The upside of all this complexity is that the cranks on these Suzukis are "stuffed", which in laymen's terms means that all the lower end open space is reduced to a minimum and this makes for more efficient transfer scavenging.
  14. pjhorgan

pjhorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jenna,

I had a TS185, too... my first bike. It was a '71. Then I had a string of Suzuki two-strokes after that. Learned to soup them up quite a bit... they were over-engineered and came with a 12,000 mile warranty, so you could really work on them with a die-grinder. Used to replace the head gasket with tin foil, file 5mm off the piston intake skirt, port and polish the cylinder, put on a Bassani pipe and almost double the horsepower. Of course, that wasn't too hard, since, stock, it only had 11 hp!

Also installed "long travel " shocks from Curnutt, in California, and put preload spacers and heavier oil in the front forks. Geared way down, it was a pretty good mountain climber.

Later, my father got one, and we souped it up some as well. Wish I still had one.

Enjoy!
  15. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    so why haven't I gotten to ride this thing yet? :ddog That oil pump oughta take a half hour to install. Back to work ya bum!
  16. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jenna, we added a 2nd Bultaco to our house hold. When are we starting a gang and tearing up urban trails?
  17. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dammit....I knew there was something I was supposed to be doing these past few months. She runs great! I'll post pics up tonight. Having electrical issues at the moment. Need tires and the damn registration from the stoner I swiped her from...but it's all good.!:thumb
  18. jkpell

jkpell nOOby

Oddometer:
    you didn't by any chance get this from a chap that lives near Newnan did you?
  19. vtwin

Oddometer:
    Jenna, glad you fixed all your issues. I am going through all this with my two little Suzuki smokers. Takes for ever to start my little K11p and my M31 only really started and ran once since Jan 1st.
  20. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Pics, my ass! :evil It didnt happen! ::fitz