2 Stroke touring?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Chillis, Jun 21, 2013.

1. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Is that the red one?
  2. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    The red one is my RD350, which is also black now :)
  3. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Didn't you post pix a while back of a red T500 ?
  4. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    Nope, never owned one :)
  5. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I own a two stroke and I love touring but I think it takes a bit of sado masicism to tour on one of these things when there are so many better choices (4 strokes)

I'm not saying it can't be done, I just don't see any good reason why to do it.
  6. LasseNC

LasseNC XSessive!

Oddometer:
    When thinking old school I don't really agree that 4 strokes are any better.

Why do you think they are better?
  7. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    Water Buffalo is the best 2 stroke touring bike. Power comes in at relatively low RPM's it really pulls, Nice oil injection system that hold a lot of oil so you do not need to worry about oil every time you gas up, Water cooling keeps the cylinder temps stable, good sized radiator, mine never overheated even though I rode it real hard in hot California summers, I remember the ride being really comfortable, but my previous bike was a GT 380 so I may not have known what comfort really was, I went on a trip once with a buddy that had a Kawasaki 350 triple and I got much better gas mileage. I still remember how mad he was every time we got gas, and how I passed him every time we got near a hill just to piss him off a little bit more.
  8. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a GT750, and would agree 100% its a great touring bike. Seems a real shame people ruin them by fitting expansion chambers etc, to ape the looks of the TR750 perhaps?
  9. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sure wanted my Gt-750 to look like a TR-750, I was 19 when I bought my GT750, the PO had rebuilt the motor and could not get it to start. I took it apart found the problem, (pistons were put into the wrong cylinders) got it running and had a blast. The first time one of my friends showed me magazine article about TR-750's I knew what I wanted my GT-750 to look like. Think for a minute about how many beautiful young women a 19 year old with a GP bike who likes to party could meet.
    I could not afford to go the full TR-750 but I did well enough.
  10. Sp4rks

Sp4rks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hmmm, as far as modern bikes, the 300xcw is notoriously tough for a 2 stroke comp bike. Looks likes a dirt bike now, but the 450 rally(pictured below the 300exc, it was based off of the 450xcw) before the KTM factory team got a hold of it(Not saying you should or take it that far), you might be able to fight a "Rally Style" fairing similar to the one one the , as well as auxiliary rear gas tank(to deal with the poor 2 stroke gas mileage), and low front fender. I think that certain stators increase the oil capacity, and I'm sure you could over sized radiators to assist with cooling. Rubber inserts on the pegs to help with vibration, steering damper to increase stability. Space out the gearing a bit, buy a pipe to inscrease the midrange power. And some high power lighting. It really depends on what you are willing to put up with, it won't be a 990 Adventure r, but it should be able to handle highway speeds. If you want an adventure 2 stroke, this is it with the right mods. But if you want a 2 stroke tourer(like a ST1300), the water buffalo would be a better option.
  11. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I came very close to pulling the trigger on a 300XC-W. Everyone I spoke to said it would die a quick death droning along on the highway. Tearing around the city as an urban runabout, no problem, but the steady throttle high-speed miles it wouldn't be able to handle. If there is anyone out there that can show me they do it, I'll have the 690 up for sale by next weekend...
  12. Sp4rks

Sp4rks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Well, they be may be right. But, just to make a point, this guy did the Paris Dakar on a 150xc. He only fell out of the race because he was helping people out along the way and was disqualified for his time, no mechanical problems. Granted, you'll have considerably less support than he did. But, it can be done. I would to turn my 125sx into an adventure bike myself.
  13. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He's a Boss!
  14. seviston

seviston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The entire point of a vintage two stroke for me is too use it and enjoy the uniqueness of riding the machine as intended. My 1976 GT is not near stock but still a lot of fun to ride. The motor is fast and smooth. For a two stroke you would be hard pressed to find a better smoker to cover milage on.

Shot here is from my trip to Mid-Ohio July 2013. I rode my packed up, modified Water Buffalo 700 miles over the weekend to and from the Vintage races. I even showed the bike at the AMA vintage bike show. My all stock teal/white 1972 GT 750 is in the bed of the truck in the back ground, sold at mid-ohio.

[​IMG]
  15. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder what a Suzuki GT550 would be like. I had a GT380 and the power was pretty weak until I got it revved up, then it took off like crazy and I could barely shift fast enough to keep it from over revving, My Gt-750 always pulled like a tractor, even if I let the rpm's get to low.
  16. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    My GT500 had good bottom end. Basically two cylinders from the 750 and air cooled.
  17. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    You have me there, I was going to buy a GT750 in the early 70's to tour with, air cooled.... fat chance.
  18. seviston

seviston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first big bore street bike in 1988 was a 1972 GT 750. That GT covered 70,000 miles before I sold it and never had anything done to it except points adjustments & annual plugs. After so many years the only typical weakness is crank seals. They do not appear to last over 40 years, LOL!
  19. seviston

seviston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love this T500 by the way, looks great loaded up touring the mountains.
  20. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    crank seals will be a problem on GT-750's. Since the power take off is between 2 cylinders when they go bad the bike will suck a lot of oil out of the transmission and smoke like crazy.