1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2 Stroke touring?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Chillis, Jun 21, 2013.

1. kapnk

kapnk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool, thank you both. I've always filled up at home so I've never paid too much attention to availability elsewhere. As I said, I've been running Citgo Supergard for Air Cooled Engines exclusively, so I'll have to take a look around at gas stations and hardware stores to see what's available. Just to get my comfort level up. :wink:
  2. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode my RT2 from Wasilla to Dawson and back for this year's D2D, about 1100 miles round trip. I had the same delimma, and was able to determine ahead of the trip that I averaged about a quart per 200 miles. I took along 4 quarts in addition to a full tank (1.75q) and ended up purchasing a 5th quart to top off the tank on the return leg. Fortunately I was able to get my preferred brand of injector oil in Tok on the way back.

In your case, I'd bet 4 quart would be plenty, but that's a lot to carry. If you can arrange a drop somewhere at the halfway point and only carry two quarts it'll be easier to pack. You could also try to find a vendor at your halfway point (as well as other points in between) who might stock the oil you want to use. As a worst case you could probably get by with any decent available mix oil, but I totally agree that it's preferred to stick with a single type.
  3. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    Since I have a DT400 and an IT400 in my garage, I took a lot of pics of your bike at the D2D! LOL. I wouldn't have tried to make it the 2000 miles from home on mine though.
    I used to tour on my '89 RZ350. Oil consumption and fuel mileage are pretty good if you can behave, but when you start misbehaving that thing gets fuel mileage like a pickup truck!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Tim McKittrick

Oddometer:
    I added a trailtech CHT to my 360 and I think it was well worth it. I was surprised to see that the highest engine temperatures were on slight uphills at highway speeds. I also discovered that I could feel the motor going "soft" once the CHT hit about 410F- at that point enough heat has migrated into the cases to affect the charge density. My never exceede temp was 450F, chosen kinda arbitrarily as that is the temp that most air cooled engines begin to fail. It was easy to keep it under 410 once I began to pay attention to it, and when blasting about in town and on the trails it never seems to get above 380. It'll actually cool down to 290 or so when idling in traffic.

As a touring bike the RT did OK- it was reasonably happy if kept to sane speeds (65 is a lot to ask- 55-60 is fine) and it never so much as fouled a plug. The only issue I had was some bad gas and water in the carb, which required removing the carb to clean all of the smutz out.
  5. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Is there a thread or web link to this D to D event ??

Sounds super cool by vintage touring stroker standards !
  6. Tim McKittrick

Oddometer:
  7. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    I'm considering riding my 99 Buell X1 to Dawson next year, but we will see next June...it's 2061 miles, and I want to do it in 2 days next time...LOL
  8. makotosun

makotosun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We did the Trans America Trail on vintage Yamaha Enduros. 360's and 400's. Great touring two strokes and you can go pretty much anywhere you need to . . .

[​IMG]
    RussellM and sprouty115 like this.
  9. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    Former '75 DT 400 owner here...........thats the nicest set up I have seen on a DT ! Even though, I dont think I could handle the TAT with that rig after having been spoiled by a DR 650.

............or at least a monoshock DT.
  10. guzzirelic

guzzirelic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Phipsd

Phipsd Older but not wiser.

Oddometer:
    I toured on the GT550, an early drum brake GT750 and the later 75 GT750. I much preferred the GT550 over the 750's for vastly better handling and fuel economy at 60-65 mph. The 750's could tour too, but you had to be careful. Ticking along using just enough throttle to run smoothly gas mileage and range were decent, but if the bike had to work for any reason ( big hills, headwinds, high speeds) gas mileage could go down to 30 mpg or even lower. The thing is; that the bike seemed to run so effortlessly, that you might not know that you were burning through your fuel at a much faster rate until you ran onto reserve. If you were 40 miles from the nearest fuel on HWY 50 in Nevada when you ran onto reserve, you had a problem:)

With 2-strokes, you can go fast, or you can go far: But not both.
  12. Phipsd

Oddometer:
    I had a friend who was an even bigger Suzuki 2-stroke freak than I was. He even had a Rotary. Anyway one day we were out for a ride together: I was on my GT550, he had his GT500. He asked me when my bike came on the pipe. I told him," It's got power right from idle". " You're full of shit".

So we switched bikes. His 500 twin reminded me of my 75 WaterBuffalo. It had tall gearing and came on the pipe at 3500. He had to ride the 550 to believe it. It was by far the best 2-stroke I ever rode.
  13. Phipsd

Oddometer:
    My engineer father and car fixer from way back; clued me into the secret for long lasting points and fewer adjustments: GM points grease. I tripled the adjustment interval and points life on my bikes with that one simple change. With three sets of points, it was a big saving.
  14. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent 10yrs using my 86 Gamma as a daily driver. I had no issues at all jumping on that bike and going anywhere I wanted. Not exactly the best touring bike, but it was what I had and it was an incredible ride.
    joexr likes this.
  15. Old Queenslander

Old Queenslander Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I did lots of miles on this back in the 70s. Now I only use it for short rides of a few hundred kms.
  16. Old fart

Old fart Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer:
    Is that a mini bike version r are you 7 feet tall?
    McJamie likes this.
  17. Old Queenslander

Oddometer:
    Yes I am seven foot tall so watch it or I'll rip ya bloody arms off and hit you with the soggy ends!!! No really it's the camera angle and the Metralla is a small bike, compared to my Vstrom.[​IMG]
    I wasn't suffering from middle age spread when I bought it in 1974.
  18. DaveB74

DaveB74 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dear god that Sherpa T is magnificent!

To speak about the Water Buffalo, a long time racer friend of mine campaigned an Elva Courrier chassis with a Water Buffalo engine for 20+ years in SCCA club racing in the D Sports Racing class. He qualified for the Runoffs most every year, was competitive, but never won. It was testament to the durability of that power plant under harsh use.
  19. Old Queenslander

Oddometer:
    Here is a better picture of the Sherpa.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    spokester likes this.
  20. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode my 1981 MZ ETZ 250 all the way across Germany and back on the autobahn DSCN5871.JPG with nary a problem. Seat is awfully narrow and hard, however. Folding package racks in the saddlebag position are extremely useful, will even carry a 20 liter army gas can. Not that I need it, I got 60 mpg (4 l./ 100 km).