2 Texans to Alaska (and back)...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jglow, Mar 14, 2011.

1. DocAxeYarYar

DocAxeYarYar RideDualSport.com

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff congrats on such a big accomplishment!

Im new owner of a 650 VStrom and your RR proves its totally capable of such a huge adventure two up!
  2. 1994klr250

1994klr250 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had to comment on this ride even though you did it so long ago already. It was a great story and an awesome ride report! I wish I would of found this RR before I went to Alaska in 2012. It's great to see you had such and epic ride and it makes me want to get back on the road again. Thanks for sharing your trip with us Nikki and Jordan! :clap Thanks again for sharing, Fred.
  3. TSSRA

TSSRA KTM 350 Rider

Oddometer:
    Great Adventure! Thanks for sharing your experiences. My wife and I made a 4400 mile adventure out West in 1979 with a few friends. We were two up on a Suzuki GS750L (not exactly a touring bike, but, at the time, as good as most). I still ride one day trips, mostly close to home, in Middle and East Tennessee. After reading a few RR on Advrider, we're ready to go agian! This is the best report, great photography and writing skills! Thanks again, when is the book going to be available? Have fun and keep riding....
  4. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    Nice report with good pictures. I echo the other inmates, Nikki is a trooper and good sport...and Nikki, the whole bear thing is overblown. Mountain Lions are another matter, however.

I've done big parts of your trip twice, and even at my advanced age am planning another assault. The lure of the great white north, can't be ignored!

Thanks for the read!
  5. johnnybgood8

johnnybgood8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report!
  6. rapiti

rapiti IOR Veteran

Oddometer:
    Two up is different.
    June 2015 we met some folks on Suzukis & a KLR onFerry to Haines, and crossed paths often enough we started hanging out and sharing campsites up to Deadhorse and back South. A couple were two up on a 1000, and one solo on Wee, and another solo on KLR. The couple had some issues on the Dalton and the 650 seemed to be using most of his suspension travel with sag. We were all of varied abilities, and that was likely the largest variable. If I were two up, I would leave a bunch of stuff with Dan in Fairbanks, and in retrospect, we all should have. As it was, even my fully loaded 950S was a blast. Messing around near Atigun Pass, there were some terraces that ran up the hillside on the North side, and rather than sit and wait at the bottom for my companions, like a hyperactive child I charged those terraces and have never experienced that level of traction on my KTM before or since. I was probably close to looping it, but man, the traction!

OK, hijack over. Thanks for a great RR. Your pics bring back memories, and inspire further meandering in Alaska.
  7. s boy

s boy it goes by quick..

Oddometer:
    Bump for 2016. I was thinking about this epic trip and decided to look through it again. Still a great story of a great adventure, only this time looking at it all via a new iMac 27" with Retina Display! The pictures are even better and all of them are still up - yet many of the hyperlinks throughout the thread discussions have vaporized.. Hope you two are doing great!
  8. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the bump. This is a great read. Kudos.
  9. GENTLEMANJACKKNIFE

GENTLEMANJACKKNIFE Come back with a warrant.

Oddometer:
    Just finished your 2011 report. Waaaay cool !!! I've ridden (is that a word?) the same roads over the years and had a great time but don't remember the scenery being as cool as your pics. After reading your report I think I'll slow down and look around more on future rides. Thanks for a great RR.
  10. Carsten01

Carsten01 Carsten Rueppel

Oddometer:
    Someone retrieved this and I went thru the whole thing.
    Most excellent. Beautiful trip and writing.
  11. RidingMann

RidingMann Downward Spiral

Oddometer:
    It certainly is a great report! Maybe they need to do an encore?!
  12. Higherhawk

Higherhawk Still a n00b

Oddometer:
    Jordan,

Just wanted to say that your trip still inspires people even years down the road. Some of your photos could be postcards for the locales you took them in. I'm gonna have my girl read this RR to show her the possibilities of two-up riding. Thanks.

-HH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your inspirational adventure :thumb
  14. rpiereck

rpiereck Enjoying my Himalayan

Oddometer:
    I just spent the night reading your RR (I'm on night shift killing time), I loved the whole trip. Back in 2010 I was stationed with the US Army in Alaska and that summer was too wet for my taste, if you had done the trip a year earlier you would have had nothing but sunshine :D I did the trip myself but on a car, and I loved the ferry ride, we had a tent city going on the aft deck and all the tent people would drink all the daily beer ration and close the bar :photog I am planning on doing the AK trip on a bike in the next few years and your RR sure gave me inspiration and good info on camping. Thanks for sharing it.
  15. Old Codger

Old Codger Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been reading this ride report on and off for two days . I also read it a couple of years ago, I think it was better the second time around if that is possible excellent report and pictures..:clap
  16. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR, I will be doing about the same route in July 2017. I am from just down the road from you (About 20 miles). The main difference will be no ferry ride back down south.
    sKatZ likes this.
  17. andruboz

andruboz Serial overfiller

Oddometer:
    I was expecting a post containing a chain-splosion from about page 13 on. great report.
  18. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    Loved this report.
  19. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow great RR. Way behind on this obviously and not certain how I came across it (other than planning for our July 9 2017 departure) but great work with writing and pics. Many thanks! :clap
  20. Ruspat

Ruspat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow great reading . I also have a wee strom it is a great bike . Thanks for this cant wait to read your next RR.