2 types of riders.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Mosher, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Pago Cruiser

Pago Cruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang. Glad you made it out. That indeed sounds borderline criminal to not post a warning.
    Pants.
    Motoport Kevlar overpants. Custom made to fit your custom ...butt. Your business slacks or jeans go inside your boots, then the Overpants over the boot, then zips tight.
    I commute 100 miles a day, and don't leave home without them.
    Surprisingly they keep the heat off you, even in the Tucson summer (the armor acts as insulation), are komfy in winter, and ...almost... water proof. Call it water resistant.
    The armor has never moved. Ever.
    On or off in less than a minute, including suspenders and belt and (2) leg zippers.
    After 8 years and about 200,000 miles, they are almost ready for retirement.
    Had Motoport repair some zippers a few years ago. I think it was $120.
    All for about half the price of a 1 square inch skin graft - currently about $1500 according to google.
    Best $750-ish I ever spent; and will do so again prolly next year.
    That's about $0.25 a day. Literally, pocket change...
  2. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree. In fact, depending upon when and where the work was done their own DOT manuals may stipulate warning signs that would have changed your actions. They do have a responsibility. Look into it.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  3. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Their own work instructions may stipulate signs. It’s their (managements) responsibility to make sure it’s done properly. They’ll just turn it over to their insurance fund.

Go back take pictures. Get a lawyer. Accepting risk is one thing. Negligence is another.
    Mosher and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  4. husqvarna

husqvarna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    from Page Cruiser ; "Dang. Glad you made it out. That indeed sounds borderline criminal to not post a warning.". Exactly my thought but us anglicised type would have said "Damn....................."

But I am glad and was reminded of how dangerous construction zones where bike safety isn't considered at all was brought home to me recently driving through a New Jersey Barrier chicane created by roadworks but where the original lines had been painted out by what looked like smooth, very smooth bitumen or epoxy paint but wider than the original line. I was in a 4x4 but it was raining and I thought I might lose it so a bike IMHO would have no chance at all.

Again, glad you made it - bastids who don't leave construction zones safe for bikes.
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Nah I have a Darien that I wear in Japan (which is worse than eastern TX a lot of the time) with all of the vents open and collar rolled down it move a surprising amount of air.
  6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder if there was a change in safety standard for this type of work. For as of recently, I'm seeing it done in numerous areas without any warning signs or markers. The closest is sometimes a sign stating "uneven surface".
  7. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    Lucky rider, in a sense.

Interesting about the Leatt. It’s a concession I’ve never made, just because of the pain in the butt factor and that it’s just a level of paranoia that sucks a bit too much fun out of riding.

I classify myself as an ATGMTT/MTGATT rider. (All the gear most of the time, most of the gear all the time.). That just means I sometime take the flyer and wear jeans, but it’s a rare exception.

Glad it sounds like you’re gonna recover and hope that the insurance company doesn’t find you at fault, but if you don’t file against your state department of transportation, it’s no chance. If you do, there’s a chance. There are probably rules about how much the offset is capped at, but you’d have to prove that it was above that limit. As someone else noted, if nothing else, maybe it’ll save someone else. Also, maybe write to your state representatives and the state DOT. Make a stink.

Source: My wife spent many years as an insurance adjuster, both for property damage and bodily injury.
  8. Mosher

Mosher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the comments and different perspectives.

Update on the entire story:

Progressive is, and will remain my Insurence provider for my 2 wheel lifestyle. They totaled Mad Maxine a few days after the wreck. My wife had started the the claim process the following morning as I was stiff for a few day. Just a tiny bit......

I had a AMAZING adjuster who said he did a $1,200 claim a week prior that resulting in rider fatality. No helmet, flip flops and crashed to avoid hitting a dog in a neighborhood.

With Mad Maxine (‘11) gone and a new-to-me ‘08, 1200RT now in the stable things are relatively back back to normal.

It’s to date the wildness spill I’ve had and I put 78k on a bike in 7yrs of riding on/off-road. My ‘11 GS was on engine #2 (another wild adventure) The story is being told shorter and short the more it’s shared. But will always contain the following statements.

Luck
    Luck is not magic, luck is not random. Luck did not make the investment in my riding gear. Luck did nothing to dress me up before going on what I knew was going to be another one of “those” less glamorized rides. If you know you know. For some of us, we truly are blissfully ill with all the excitement and adventures had while traveling via motorcycle like I do. Luck was with that night however. I slid uncontrolled for 205’ down a dark wet new road without didn’t colliding with any guardrail, sign, another vehicle or ANYTHING!

Wear your gear every ride no matter the conditions.

Look at the bright side, If its too hot to wear protection, at least morticians will wash your body for everyone to you one last time.

Wear your gear, don’t justify your life ending short because you have the proper wardrobe. If your $500 helmet hurts your head get rid of it. The internet has places like this to help each rider be any type of rider they want. Wear your gear.

4269C838-8081-4ABC-B2CB-782697C92634.jpeg Men BE704C19-02C9-4324-89D9-075A44584AE4.jpeg

Attached Files:

Xchemie likes this.
  9. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lived for 1/2 my life in the Low Country from Myrtle Beach, Pawley's Island, Georgetown and James Island and Johns Island. South Carolina has HORRIBLE roads, the worse in the SE USA Glad you are OK, as mentioned revisit the site look for learning lessons, Paint looks too new, any sign of color difference in pavement even at night, a line of gravel collecting in the middle of the road signifying a steep down, etc. What road was it? If you do not want to say I understand.
    WIDGIN likes this.
  10. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    WTF with all the sorry a$$ people on this thread advising to sue the highway department. You and your lawyers are ruining this country. OP never expressed such a desire and wanted to focus on safety gear.

Sorry about your crash and glad you made it out okay. Thank you for taking personal responsibility instead of wanting to blame someone else.
  11. Pete Behn

Pete Behn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WTH are you talking about. People are not 'sorry a$$' just because you think suing a highway department is not the right thing to do. If the highway department was negligent, they should pay for their mistake. Here's a good example for you: If your car blew up because of a known defect or unknown defect, and everyone inside died, are you telling me that you would not sue? Maybe the rider was not at fault at all, or maybe he was at fault only a little bit. Either way, nothing will get done to solve the problem of improper signage for dangerous road conditions unless there is an incentive. In this case, the incentive is loss of money by the highway dept. WOW!
  12. WIDGIN

WIDGIN When In Doubt, Gas It Now

Oddometer:
    Exactly how were they negligent? Did they cause the darkness? The fog? Did they fail to paint lane markers? Those lazy ba$t@rds probably went home after they finished a lane and their shift ended? Maybe they even set corn out to lure deer?

OP did not state whether there were construction signs present or not, but the sue weasels automatically assumed not. Changes in elevation between lanes is a fact of life when roads get repaved and are rarely marked as such.

OP stated he shifted lanes on fresh painted pavement while glancing rearward and went down. Years ago, i learned the hard way while driving automobiles to look where i was going and that riding at night, in fog, or in deer areas is inherently dangerous, facts which he also shared.

I grew up on country roads that didnt have lane markers or paint. In fact, they still remain unpainted. Maybe i should move back there so i can sue that state for failing to paint a rural road that is rather heavily traveled.

I also learned after a ruptered spleen that i could be riding a motorcycle very cautiously and still be seriously injured by the actions of others, including an incompetent and negligent ambulance crew. Yeah, i probably should have sued somebody then but i didnt. Instead i learned a few life lessons on taking responsibility for ones actions.

If my "car blew up because of an unknown defect", WTF would i want to sue someone? Are you actually a lawyer wanting to profit over the misfortune of others?

Since you dont seem to realize it, "loss of money by the highway dept." is actually YOUR and MY money, unless you cheat on your taxes. I am not fond of turning it over to people who wont accept responsibility for their actions and automatically blame others.

Motorcycles are not, have never been, and never will be the safest form of transport, deal with it and the potential consequences or simply quit riding.
    Khantahr likes this.
  13. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Bullshit. I worked for DOT for 5 years, as a bridge designer...I was a member of the NYS Association of Transportation Engineers. The highway is a facility owned by the people, and funded for and built for safety. We design tapers and curves and check the sight distance. We have plenty of money to make it safe, always. There are standards and regulations for everything - and there should be. Then some asshole engineer or contractor decides that it's too much trouble. And we accept t.

The highway should be safe. Leaving the highway with different levels of paving, without warning signs, with bumps or holes, is negligence. Suing the bastards may be the best way to make them do the right thing.
    Berchunis, scfrank and Pete Behn like this.
  14. Pete Behn

Pete Behn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. rokytnji

rokytnji Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shoot. When flipped my sportster on it's back on the asshole of the dragon. Avoiding a head on with 4 wjheel drive PU truck. I rode it back to Texas after the run was over. Was sore also. Totaled ya say?

Damn. I noticed that <totaled> also when the trailer flipped with a Kawi Concours strapped down. That body work strewed across the free way. It;s a mad max kawi project presently.

[​IMG]
  16. scfrank

Oddometer:
    Thank you. This is someone who suffered because of negligence by the state DOT. They spread gravel, covering the whole lane, at the top of a rise in the road, around a turn. Their own work instructions told them to put up loose gravel signs. They didn’t. There were no suits, but the threat of one drove them to settle. I was made whole. They paid back the insurance companies. I wasn’t interested on making money on the deal. There is nothing wrong with holding someone responsible for their actions or inaction.
  17. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I’d love it if I thought this would happen. In my case the DOT leadership itself turned my case over to the insurance fund almost immediately. It’s likely they never noticed the settlement. The contractors and supervisors who neglected to put up signs probably never heard about it. I have noticed there there is never gravel in that turn since my accident.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.