2 types of riders.

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Mosher, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Pago Cruiser

Pago Cruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang. Glad you made it out. That indeed sounds borderline criminal to not post a warning.
    Pants.
    Motoport Kevlar overpants. Custom made to fit your custom ...butt. Your business slacks or jeans go inside your boots, then the Overpants over the boot, then zips tight.
    I commute 100 miles a day, and don't leave home without them.
    Surprisingly they keep the heat off you, even in the Tucson summer (the armor acts as insulation), are komfy in winter, and ...almost... water proof. Call it water resistant.
    The armor has never moved. Ever.
    On or off in less than a minute, including suspenders and belt and (2) leg zippers.
    After 8 years and about 200,000 miles, they are almost ready for retirement.
    Had Motoport repair some zippers a few years ago. I think it was $120.
    All for about half the price of a 1 square inch skin graft - currently about $1500 according to google.
    Best $750-ish I ever spent; and will do so again prolly next year.
    That's about $0.25 a day. Literally, pocket change...
  2. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree. In fact, depending upon when and where the work was done their own DOT manuals may stipulate warning signs that would have changed your actions. They do have a responsibility. Look into it.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  3. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Their own work instructions may stipulate signs. It’s their (managements) responsibility to make sure it’s done properly. They’ll just turn it over to their insurance fund.

Go back take pictures. Get a lawyer. Accepting risk is one thing. Negligence is another.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  4. husqvarna

husqvarna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    from Page Cruiser ; "Dang. Glad you made it out. That indeed sounds borderline criminal to not post a warning.". Exactly my thought but us anglicised type would have said "Damn....................."

But I am glad and was reminded of how dangerous construction zones where bike safety isn't considered at all was brought home to me recently driving through a New Jersey Barrier chicane created by roadworks but where the original lines had been painted out by what looked like smooth, very smooth bitumen or epoxy paint but wider than the original line. I was in a 4x4 but it was raining and I thought I might lose it so a bike IMHO would have no chance at all.

Again, glad you made it - bastids who don't leave construction zones safe for bikes.
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Nah I have a Darien that I wear in Japan (which is worse than eastern TX a lot of the time) with all of the vents open and collar rolled down it move a surprising amount of air.
  6. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonder if there was a change in safety standard for this type of work. For as of recently, I'm seeing it done in numerous areas without any warning signs or markers. The closest is sometimes a sign stating "uneven surface".
  7. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    Lucky rider, in a sense.

Interesting about the Leatt. It’s a concession I’ve never made, just because of the pain in the butt factor and that it’s just a level of paranoia that sucks a bit too much fun out of riding.

I classify myself as an ATGMTT/MTGATT rider. (All the gear most of the time, most of the gear all the time.). That just means I sometime take the flyer and wear jeans, but it’s a rare exception.

Glad it sounds like you’re gonna recover and hope that the insurance company doesn’t find you at fault, but if you don’t file against your state department of transportation, it’s no chance. If you do, there’s a chance. There are probably rules about how much the offset is capped at, but you’d have to prove that it was above that limit. As someone else noted, if nothing else, maybe it’ll save someone else. Also, maybe write to your state representatives and the state DOT. Make a stink.

Source: My wife spent many years as an insurance adjuster, both for property damage and bodily injury.