2 UP FROM 5 TO 9 - from New York to Brazil

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by luciosiq, Mar 29, 2009.

1. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For all those interested on reaching Aguascalientes/Macchupicchu from the back (via Sta Teresa), I did the trip last december 2009. The tour is sold in cusco for those not riding. The cost was $190 everything included (not expensive) Taking you in a new Renault Van for 12 people (nice people) that you'll enjoy the whole 2 days. The road is magnificent and some kind dangerous sometime but the driver does a good job. You go up to 4000 mts altitude for about 2hrs, good asphalted road, snow peaks w/ glaciers are marvelous views (it is cold). Then you start descending to 2500 mts. along the Urubamba river canyon, gorgeous jungle type of landscape (dirt nice road, be prepare because is stony, but nice waterfalls and river bridge crossings).
    After another 2 hours trip we reached Santa Teresa , have lunch in a OK restaurant included in the package. Then another few miles and we get into the hidro electric town and the train station. Trains leave mid morning and 4:30 pm . The trip is excellent, some people walk the tracks (around 12 kilometers) which is a 30 minutes train ride.
    We spent the night at a hostel (ok) included dinner, breakfast in a bag for Machupicchu. The bus to Machu is $14 dollars round trip. Some people climb the road at 4am but I think is for well prepared bodies, because is half night and probably wet. Coming down is another story but we were tired because we climbed the waynapicchu (tallest mountain in machupicchu, an epic, must do climbing, we did it!! and almost fall).
    After Machupicchu we came back around 11 am to Aguas Calientes, have something to eat and take the train at 12:30 back to Hidro. Then the same trip back to Cusco in the van (got there at 10pm).
    SEE MY PHOTO LINK OF THIS TRIP AT:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/samericamotoxplorer/sets/72157623059952328/show/

I think for people riding a bike is a nice option because you are saving on the van trip. The train is ship ship costing only $5 -10 bucks to foreigners.
    You must arrange in Sta Teresa with a local to keep the bike for 2 days. Have gas whenever you can, I didn't see any pump along the road until Sta. Teresa.
    RECOMMENDED!!
    The option is worth.

Gaston

Attached Files:

2. Robson Jaborá/SC

Robson Jaborá/SC Brazilian Adventurer...

Oddometer:
    Good Gaston!
    I'm planning something to Peru in the end of year, your idea sounds very good. :lurk
  3. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great, Gaston.
    Thanks for the valuable information !!!
  4. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    Hola Gaston, When I took the train back to Cuzco from Macho Pichu a few years back, it switchbacked up a mountain side. Stopping, backing up unto another track and then up, and repeat. I had never seen anything like that.
    Nice ride. Saludos
  5. GastonUSAChile

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was strange to me too, until an Irish guy told me that we were climbing a few meters up that way. Then I recall an old train from Arica to La Paz in Bolivia doing the same thing, others do it with a third rail in the middle with teeth holding the train for not get backward .

I thought in the begining that we were going back because of a problem, the second time I said, must be kidding !!!!

Good observation, I totally forgot . Saludos

By the way if I am here give me a PM
  6. GastonUSAChile

Oddometer:

Robson, I wrote you about the meeting for the annual toy gift for the kids.
    That is a nice endeavoir. Could you explain me the concept and the logistic to do it?. I would like to do something similar here in Peru

Thanks
  7. Robson Jaborá/SC

Robson Jaborá/SC Brazilian Adventurer...

Oddometer:
    Lucio and Paula!
    I started to read your book yesterday at 7PM, with an idea to read 10 or 20 pages.
    My friends, the story was wonderfull and can't stop until the book finish, I've been read until 2AM. :lol3
    I'll send it for my girlfriend, who always go with me on trips, and in december we'll do the same route you did near Puerto Maldonado. But, I'll put off-road tires off course. :lol3
    Congrats one more time.:beer
  8. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    thanks a lot, Robson.
    Great that you enjoyed the book.
    The idea was to share with friends and interested people everything we went through during this great adventure.
    Hope you enjoy the trip to Peru via Interoceanic (future) Highway on Dec. 10.
    Count on me for whatever information/help you need.
    Take care.

9. ddelima

ddelima Das Moto

Oddometer:
    Hi Lucio,

Any plans of publishing an English version to be sold in the U.S.?

Cheers,
    Daniel
  10. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Hi Daniel,

Not at the moment.
    But I have the portuguese version available in the U.S.
    Thanks.

11. Adr14n0_FOL_BR

Adr14n0_FOL_BR n00b

Oddometer:
    Lucio, I received the book, I touched! with you from the beginning and then on arrival ...

It's inspiring, thanks!
  12. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    Bump for riders who can't go through Brazil.
  13. jber5456

jber5456 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lucio

I live in NYC and am looking to make the similar trip to Poços de Caldas or beyond. Any dicas pra mim? Jeito Obrigado
    Cheers Johann