2 UP FROM 5 TO 9 - from New York to Brazil

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by luciosiq, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    Hola Lucio and Paula, Thanks for the latest update. I laughed when you said the Chetumal cop didn't really care about banditos, very typical.

There is an exit fee to leave Belize, $25.US, but definately not one to leave Mexico. That border in Quintana Roo is famous for those kind of tricks. I had to give an official 50 pesos, $5.US, to get more than 30 days, years ago.

If you want to see Tikal, El Remate is a great place to stay. It lies at the bottom of the 25 mile hill that leads to Tikal, and sits right on Lago Itza, with Flores on the other end of the lake 15 miles west. In the national park of Tikal there are 2 hotels, both expensive and usuallly full up, however there is good camping available, and if a person is equiped is a great experience with the howler monkeys and jaguars growling at night. Casa Don David in El Remate is about $25US, a free breakfast or supper, and is the most expensive in town, the rest are very reasonable. There is internet there also.

That's a hot, long ride from Palenque to Chetumal, eh? Your next hop won't that bad, thanks again for the ride report. Saludos, Eduardo
  2. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola Eduardo,

We are now in El Remate - Guatemala.
    The road from Mechor de Mencos (Guate Border and El Remate), as you mentioned, is not paved for the first 25 Kms, very tiring if you are riding fully loaded, 2 up, but not a problem. Beautiful countryside.
    We took your suggestion and stayed at La Casa de Don David Hotel for US$ 25 per night. Nice rooms with ac. Very clean and cold beer (a bit hot over here).
    Tikal was fantastic.
    Lake Peten Itza really beautiful
    Tomorrow we will try to ride straight to Antigua.
    We might stop around Rio Dulce and continue next day, if we feel tired.

Guatemala is such a beautiful country. And the people are very very friendly. We are enjoying every minute of our visit.
    See you all on the road.

P.S. Soon I will post some pictures.
  3. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow!! Incredible journey and adventure!! :clap

Thanks for the updates and the excellent pics :thumb

:lurk
  5. flatmo

flatmo Americano

Oddometer:
    Nice! this will give me a lot of info for my returning trip to Colombia with my wife: 2011, DL650! Buena suerte!
  6. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Kids at school on Western Highway - Belize

[​IMG]
    Bienvenidos a Guatemala - Melchor de Mencos

[​IMG]
    The road from Melchor de Mencos to El Remate

[​IMG]
    Friendly people from Guatemala.

[​IMG]
    Lake Petén Itza - El Remate

[​IMG]
    Tikal - Petén (Guatemala)
  7. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    Hola Amigos, Great photos, especially Lago Itza in El Remate. I wanna go back already
  8. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Hola AdvRiders,

From El Remate (Petén) we rode all the way to Rio Dulce. Very good road - new top.
    We believe we made the right choice crossing into Guatemala through Belize.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Crossing Rio Dulce

After spending one day in Rio Dulce, we took CA-09 to Guate and Antigua.
    CA-09 is pretty crazy. Truck Drivers really "racing" between Guate and Puerto Barrios, part of it on the wrong side of the road.
    You just have to pay extra attention and keep on going.
    Obviously, we did not pay enough (not extra) attention to the arrival time in Guate, stopping at every corner for photos and video. Plus, the last 30 miles is really tough riding up the mountains (altitude = 6000 feet).

[​IMG]
    At 6000 feet

So, we got to Guate pretty late in the afternoon, around rush hour.
    The road to Antigua is sort of on the other side of the city. So we had to cross it during rush hour, plus it started raining. And to add to this "fantastic" time, we were stopped by the police.
    2up is now considered very dangerous and suspicious in Guatemala. They are even approving a new law to ban 2up all over the country. Apparently, there are a lot of crimes being executed using motorcycles.

Anyway, we decided to stop at a "Auto Hotel" (Love Hotel) for the night as we were just too tired to continue to Antigua at night.
    Next morning we rode the remaining 30 miles and reached nice colonial Antigua.
    We enjoyed it very much and stayed there for 2 nights, taking tons of photos and having a few beers (still very hot - even though Antigua is high up in the mountains).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    Hola Amigos, Glad to hear from you, and thanks for the photos.

I heard about the 2up ban, too bad, but the violence in Guatemala City is incredible, approximately 25 people killed a day there. That fact is really a crime to the rest of Guatemala which has no where near that kind of problem, and is a joy to visit, and meet the people. I think Colombia has a vest system with a number registered with the government, because of a similar crime problem.

Keep up the good work, and ride reports. Be safe and have fun. Saludos, Ed
  10. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Hola Amigo,

Yes, it is really a shame they have to ban 2 up. Not something good for the Motorcycle Community, especially workers and families who use motorcycle as their only vehicle.
    Anyway, we loved Guatemala so much. What a great surprise this country was !!!
    We will never forget it. But we need to move on and cross to El Salvador.
    Saludos.
  11. MtRainier

MtRainier Keep Going! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very Nice! Great start so far. (Easy for me to say.) :rofl Do you two even remember that windy section any longer? :huh

Thank you again for sharing. Keep Going!
  12. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
  13. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mt.Rainier.
    You are correct. We always find solutions to our problems, as long as we are doing something we REALLY want to do.
    That works for our personal and professional lives. In fact, they are all linked.

Bananaman,
    Thanks for linking the report to the Latin American Forum.
    We were planning to cross the Darien by Sailing Boat, off Puerto Lindo. But we are finding it hard to have a boat leaving around the time we are going to be in Panama (end of May/09).
    Our contacts are at Wunderbar Hostel in Puerto Lindo.
    http://www.hostelwunderbar.com/sailing_trips.html
    We really would like to cross it sailing and stopping at San Blas (a caribbean paradise).

Anybody knows any other place to organize sailing boat crossing ?????
  14. MtRainier

MtRainier Keep Going! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by luciosiq

Anybody knows any other place to organize sailing boat crossing ?????

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

A quick Google search turned up this:
    http://latinamcaribbeantravel.suite101.com/article.cfm/sailing_from_panama_to_colombia

Keep Going!
  15. I'LL-GO-212-201

I'LL-GO-212-201 I'M A 50-YR OLD LIAR

Oddometer:
    Good Stuff Guys, Thanks for taking the time to post it.....:norton
  16. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot MtRainier.
    The "challenge" here is to make sure we have a boat in good conditions for the crossing.
    I am trying several options.
    Let's see what we find.
    Happy Roads !!!!
  17. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    Hola Amigos, I looked back in the ride report of Joe and Charley Sequin for sailboat info on crossing to Columbia, and found they went thru the Hostel Wunderbar. More info at: www.hostelwunderbar.com . You can read about their experience at there thread: South America till our luck or money runs out. Hope this helps. Saludos, Eduardo
  18. Robson Jaborá/SC

Robson Jaborá/SC Brazilian Adventurer...

Oddometer:
    Just following the trippppppp... :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  19. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Hi there ADV Riders,

From Antigua, we went to El Salvador, using CA-02, as our next stop was La Libertad Beaches.
    The road is in pretty good shape.
    As usual, a lot of animals around. You just have to be extra careful.
    We know quite well the tragic results that this situation can create.
    I must say that I think about it everytime I come across animals on the road and I don't mind at all slowing down and patiently wait until they are left behind.
    La Libertad coast is just great. Nice beaches, dark vulcanic color sand, cliffs, lots of hotels and restaurants.
    Some beaches are clean. Some are not so clean. Your choice.
    From La Libertad, we rode to San Miguel to position ourselves strategically close to visit hell (Honduras Aduana at El Amatillo) next morning.
    So, next morning, we faced it.
    We decided that depending upon the time waisted at El Amatillo, we would spend the night in Choluteca (Honduras). If, by any chance (remote), we could finish "the job" quicker than expected, we would ride directly to Nicaragua.
    I must say, based on the reports I've read previously, I think things are getting worse.
    The mess is intentionally created so that you are forced to use one HELLper and go through the whole "Honduras Aduana Supply Chain", step-by-step, corruption by corruption.
    Basically, we noticed (and documented) the following steps :
    1. HELLpers running across the road to offer their service about 6 miles before El Amatillo. Don't stop.
    2. Police Officer stops you about 1 mile before and try to force you into using one HELLper. They even have a tent with 2 desks, so you think this is an official checkpoint. No need to stop. We did and then continued on.
    3. At El Amatillo, you actually get the Vehicle Permission (Temporary Import) - after tons of photocopies, documents and waiting.
    4. Once riding in Honduras we were stopped 5 times (50 miles) by the Federal Police, basically trying to get some additional money from us.

I am going to write a detailed report on what happened to us and how we went through every single step.
    In fact, we are documenting every single Border Cross (Immigration and Aduana), not just Honduras. And I will be very happy to share it with you all.
    For the time being, we would rather not say what we did as we may need to use this strategy again along the road.

It is very sad what is going on in Honduras. We noticed that it is a beautiful country, but did not feel at all comfortable to stay there.

We were able to get our permission in El Amatillo in about 1.5 hour (around 10:30 am). So, we decided to keep going and cross into Nicaragua on the same day.
    We crossed in Guasaule at around 1:30pm.
    Nicaragua Immigration and Aduana was OK. Easy and fair.
    So we rode to Chinandega (Pacific Coast) to spend the night.

The road to Chinandega is very good. A few spots being fixed (detours) right after the border (around 5 miles) but the rest is 100%.
    In Chinandega, we spent the night at San Cristobal Hotel (US$ 20 with A/C).
    Next morning, we rode to Granada, through Managua.
    Pretty good road.
    Crossing Managua in the morning (around 9:00am) was not a problem. We asked directions and people promptly helped us.
    See you all on the road.
  20. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Once again, thanks for the support Eduardo.
    We are in touch with them, trying to organize a boat for our crossing.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    Hope you are doing fine.
    Saludos

Fala Jaborá.
    Bom tê-lo conosco nessa aventura.
    Nice to have you with us on this adventure.
    Abração.