2 UP FROM 5 TO 9 - from New York to Brazil

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by luciosiq, Mar 29, 2009.

1. kaiserkyhl

kaiserkyhl The journey is the reward!

Oddometer:
    Great report...

Come say hallo if you make it to Cali, Colombia!
  2. GallopinTICO

GallopinTICO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are great pics thanks for this report, how is the bike holding so far, any problems??
  3. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola My Friend,

Lazier as we move on.
    I guess it´s some kind of virus down here.
    Great to hear from you.
    Saludos

4. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Great !
    WE plan to spend a few days in Cali, of course.
    See you around.
    Thanks for the comments

5. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments.
    The bike is doing just fine (touch wood). No problems at all. Perfect, so far.
    In service over here in San Jose.
    We will probably replace tires in Colombia.
    Let´s see how it goes.
    See you around.

6. 6fiddy

6fiddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hola Lucio & Paula,

great ride report & wonderful photos! May I ask what wind shield is on your V-strom? It doesn't look stock to me & I haven't seen another like it.
  7. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Hola 6fiddy,

When I purchased this bike it had already this windshield. But I was told it is a "California Scientific" windshield, using an "Adjustable Windshield Mount" (which I have seen several of them on the internet - very easy to find).
    Let me know if you need any additional information.
    Take care.

8. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    We spent a couple of days in San Jose and moved yesterday towards Panama.
    San Jose is a nice city and we recommend it.
    Although it is the national capital, it is not "that" big (2 million people) and it is not "that" dangerous. Just use common sense while walking around the city and you will enjou a very well structured city.
    There are several options for hotels.
    We ended up stopping at the Best Western - Downtown for US$ 50 (double).
    we just didn't want to spend too much time looking for a hotel. Plus, as reported earlier, we are getting verrrryyyy lazy as the trip evolves.

The panamericana highway after San Jose is really beautiful.
    It is very dangerous as well. A lot of trucks and single lanes all the way.

As you leave San Jose you ride up the mountains into a National Park.
    At 5000 ft, you have a lot of clouds around you. But you can still enjoy the views over the valley. Very mild temperatures up there.
    Then you ride down this range and continue on a beautiful road, with a lot of trees and rivers around it.
    What a ride !!!

We've stopped for the night just before the Panama Border in Neily.
    Good hotel at US$ 25 (double) with a/c and a nice restaurant. Good option.
    "Andrea Hotel".

Tomorrow morning, we cross into Panama and ride straight to Panama City to organize the Darien Gap cross.
    We might be able to go sailing across the Darien Gap.
    Let's pray !!!!

See you guys on the road or in the ocean......

P.S. I've just realized that I've been writing "Boarder" instead of "Border". Sorry guys, but I am struggling here with my poor "english".
  9. GallopinTICO

GallopinTICO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola you guys, i m loving your report glad to hear you like Costa Rica since thats where i m from, btw you must have ride in my hometown name San Isidro del General its the biggest city after crossin el cerro de la muerte or that big mountain with all the clouds:bow .
  10. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Lucio & Paula - love the thread. I've traveled by road as far south as Belize and it would appear that we followed the same route along the eastern part of Mexico.

My wife is from SP - love Brazil and hope to retire there - but not necessarily SP. I've been traveling to Brazil for more than 10-years... and love it even though I'm sure I see it through my gringo-colored glasses.

I'm particularly interested in your travels through southern Brazil so I'll keep an eye on this thread. If you're taking requests, :evil Joinville, Blumenau, Itajai, Sao Francisco do Sul are all of interest to me. :augie

I'm taking a group of four on a riverboat/kayak trip up the Rio Negro from Manaus in about a month. I hope they love Brazil as much as I do!

Vai com Deus - abracos to you and beijos to Paula. :rogue
  11. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    Hola Lucio and Paula, Gracias para los informe y de fotos.

I'm glad to hear your positive report on Costa Rica, I might add that to my normal trip soon, as I have friends in country, with one couple living close to San Jose. Only trouble is Honduras! Maybe I can find a sailboat, or a rowboat to slip around that country.

Speaking of boats....how's it coming making arrangements? Traveling on a sailboat will just be one more exciting experience to add to the log.

The truck traffic is really heavy in parts of CA, eh? I was never a fan of lane splitting till I got behind those guys, especially the doble remolques.

Be safe, and enjoy. Saludos, Eduardo
  12. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Irazú Volcano

[​IMG]
    Irazú Volcano

[​IMG]
    Death Mountain

[​IMG]
    Visiting a Pineapple Plantation (lots of them)

[​IMG]
    Looking for trouble

[​IMG]
    Somewhere in Costa Rica - pay attention to the sad face due to this strange business called Adventure Riding - just too many days on the road.

[​IMG]
    Again........very sad couple
  14. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Hola TICO.
    Yes. We rode through San Isidro. Just loved the whole ride across Costa Rica - what a country !!!
  15. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Olá Gerry,

Great that you want ride in Brazil.
    I am 100% Brazil has a lot to offer for the Adventure Rider. I just can't believe it is not part of the route for Riders going south (or north - depending where you are).
    We have the whole Atlantic Coast , Pantanal, the country side of the South Region, State of Sao Paulo, Minas Gerais, Goias, Amazon Region etc. So much to see and enjoy.
    Let's invite some of our ADV Friends for a "brazilian tour" soon.
    The cities that you mentioned (in Santa Catarina) are also great to ride with excellent infra-structure for tourism - very very safe.
    Take care.
    Abração
  16. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Hola Eduardo,

Yes. You have to add Costa Rica to your "Annual Average Super Boring Trip South".
    You will love it.
    The roads are really scary. It seems to me that the country's economy is growing too fast and the roads are not being expanded. Too much traffic (not just trucks).

Tomorrow I am going to talk to a boat owner in Panama...........I am very optimistic........let's see.
    Saludos Amigo
  17. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Right on! The only thing I can determine is that it's so far away and can be a bit of a hassle to import a bike even temporarily. Much simpler to ride one in.

Right now, I'm more of a kayaker than a motorcyclist but once we retire, I'll pick up the largest dual sport made domestically. Right now, I believe that's the Yamaha 650 Tenere.

I've ridden in the Macae RJ area with a friend from Campo before and loved it. I've also spent time in the Pantanal on vacation and as mentioned, we're headed to Manaus on July 1 for a riverboat/kayak trip.

Nine years until retirement!!!! Unless my wife's career is going extremely well, we'll retire there. Santa Catarina appears to be a great state but certain areas like Floripa are too touristy for me.

When you guys finish this trip, are you coming back to the states? If that's the case, we'll make it a point to contact you and perhaps we can meet at some point in time. My wife loves NYC - I think it reminds her of a small Sao Paulo. :evil

Safe travels!
  18. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    Hi Guys!

I am really enjoying your trip!:clap Keep up the good work!:clap

Donnie
  19. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your trip to Manaus. That should be really fun !!!
    When we finish this trip (we hope it won't) we don't know what we will be doing...........well, this is an adventure, isn't it ?
    But, we will be travelling to the US (NYC) anyway, from time-to-time. So, plenty of opportunities/excuses for us to meet.
    Yeah......SP is a large city and has most, if not all, of the problems of all metropolitan areas.
    But, I also like it. Like any other city, if you know it well, we are able to enjoy it.
    Today's largest dual sport bike made in Brazil is the Yamaha 660 XT. I had a black one. Very very nice !!!! I really miss it.
    Take care.
    We are now moving forward to Meteti/Yavisa.
    Let's see if this "Darién Gap Story" is really true.
  20. luciosiq

Oddometer:
    Darién Gap.
    What Darién Gap ?????
    Not sure if this is really true or just another "adventure story" to make people interested.
    There's probably a huge 8 lane highway linking Yavisa Metropolitan Area to Turbo's.:lol3

Let's have a look.
    Tomorrow we are riding to check it out.:ricky

Yesterday was a Panama Canal Day (yet another ADV Visit to Miraflores).
    I was impressed. Just imagine this project being implemented around the 1900s ??
    I will post a couple of pictures later. I promise we will try to find some "exclusive" angles of the place (hard task).