2 Weeks & 10 Days in Baja

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Nov 3, 2018.

1. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I know a guy here who keeps his "baja bike" in Las Vegas. $99. flight and he's off on the desert.
    yokesman likes this.
  2. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking. Looked at some storage options and meant to comb for some local knowledge for long term storage as well.
  3. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    There a few Canadians that stash bike here in Tucson. It’s year around riding season, in the summer hottest months, we get out early, or head north to the mountains a few hours away or ride after a good rain. Winters are a joy. Baja is a half a days drive ....
    yokesman likes this.
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I’ll ask what his arrangement was.
  5. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @CanadianX, glad you liked the report. I remember your Baja report from awhile back, going 2-up on a big 'ole beast. Really enjoy your writing style and great sense of humor, hope to see another Baja report from you :nod :nod

And best of luck getting a bike stored someplace close to the border. Although the ~19 hour drive from OR isn't too bad, it'd be great to have a bike stored somewhere down there to jump on and start riding. I know @Rhode trip does this from his killer ride report - great option. :D
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    airfares are usually cheap the vegas but check Allegent airlines to see what their route etc is, pretty cheap to fly with them
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Had time to edit the 2nd part of day 7's ride. Hard a hard time choosing the footage to keep and cut from day 7, riding through the mountains provided fantastic scenery. And I really missed having my drone - this area would have offered incredible aerial views. Next time.

This is it for the ride south. Next up will be the start of our return trek north; leaving from Mulege and stopping in San Ignacio. I'm stoked to get that video put together, a whole bunch of water crossings including a bath for one of the WRs...lol.

roscoe55, NSFW, Steinbuck and 2 others like this.
  8. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. Trying to convince wifey our next trip should be to Tuktoyaktuk, she's cool to the idea of summer temperatures in the single digits lol but I've promised some heated riding gear.
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Finally made some time to look through the footage from the first day of our return trek to the north. This ride took us from Mulege to San Ignacio with a stop in San Juanico along the way. Our Tiger rider joined us for the first 15 miles or so, then turned around to take an easier route as today's ride promised rocks with a whole bunch of water crossings.

Suffice to say, the ride did not disappoint and ranks right up there as one of my favorites given the terrain we crossed. Not only did we get to see both the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific in one day, we traversed 10 or 12 water crossings before hitting the western coast of Baja. And then we enjoyed blasting the salt flats before finally ending up on pavement into San Ignacio.

Frickin' killer day on the bikes. The video's a bit longer than I usually like, but think it captures the essence of the day.

roscoe55, HellsAlien, Humunn and 3 others like this.
  10. FirePig

FirePig Ah'm a pig. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just spent the past hour or so reading through. Great report!

Next time you find yourself in San Ignacio try the garlic shrimp at Rene's Restaurant just off the square. To die for. And F*** Rice and Beans!!! They F'd us over during the 2014 Baja 1000. La Huerta is a really good hotel. To bad they were booked when you were there.

Liked your video footage, Day 7 part 2, of San Jose del Comandu. Nice little village. I want to go back and spend a day or two there. The road east out of there looks like parts of it, climbing through the rocky volcanic area, were graded since I was through there in 2017. (I crashed and broke my wrist in that section racing the Mexican 1000. Hell of a time getting to Loreto.)

Cheers!
  11. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @FirePig! Really appreciate you taking the time to sift through my rambling and the videos. I'll have to check out Rene's restaurant the next time I'm down there, nearly any kind of shrimp is top of the list for me.

Can't believe you broke your wrist and then kept riding to Loreto. Assume it was your left wrist and not your throttle wrist? Either way, that's some rough terrain to ensure with a broken bone, especially one being jarred constantly by the bars.

Planning to make time this week to get a video edited for our day 9 ride :D :D
  12. FirePig

FirePig Ah'm a pig. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Right wrist. Hosed. Long long story which you can find over in the Racing section. Short story is a couple guys in a Razr finally came along after I tried riding it in and one took my bike while I rode shotgun into Loreto. ER was an adventure as well.

Look forward to reading and viewing the rest of your voyage. :lurk

Oink
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Finally had some time to sort through footage of day 9's ride from San Ignacio to San Francisquito. Not as much footage as usual as it was slab for a good chunk and then the road through El Arco is boorriinnng. But it gets seriously fun when you take the turn off toward SF and make your way east.

I didn't realize there were two different "parts" of SF. We ended up camping by Lionel's place as they had chow, but there's another really neat bay/port a bit further north where they also offered camping. If we would have brought something to cook, I would have stayed there - really tranquil spot.

In any event, here's the video from day 9 :-) :-)

Rhode trip, FirePig, Lior520 and 2 others like this.
  14. roscoe55

roscoe55 n00b

Oddometer:
    Amen to that JP ! I'm prouder'na game rooster to have rid w/ye ! It was a priceless experience for me. Thanks TY for your 50+ years of friendship and trail miles and for letting me thrash your fav WR in the sunshine and water holes. And BA - you are a class dude and I love your narrative and your camera eye ! RIP - the drone ! Tr
    liv2day likes this.
  15. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard, TR. :beer
    roscoe55 likes this.
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Ditto to that, great to see TR on the board and posting. Here's to the next adventure we're able to head out on :thumb :thumb
    roscoe55 likes this.
  17. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Liv2, any chance you could make it back down here for a few days riding in my area? And eval really estate a bit?

Got room for 'ya. And a small moto.

Asking on a snow day, I know, not fair!
  18. liv2day

Oddometer:
    I wish amigo, but not likely in cards for awhile - too many other things going on and the November trip depleted the fun money.

And yeah, definitely not cool to be asking on a snow day...when they canceled school...lol.
    HellsAlien likes this.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Took some time and put together a video from day 10's ride; this took us from San Francisquito to Gonzaga Bay. This is another one of those days where I wish I'd have planned fewer miles. We skipped the Calamajue Wash and other off-road fun on our way to Coco's corner; ended up riding to Gonzaga Bay in the dark - which was an adventure of it's own given the state of road construction.

Only a couple more days of video to sort through, going to be bittersweet to finally wrap this up given how incredible the trip was.

20. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. Saw 88F on the kitchen thermometer here today. Cooled off now. Pollo on the BBQ for tonight.
    You need to come back, you've only started the journey. :beer
    liv2day likes this.