2 Weeks & 10 Days in Baja

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Nov 3, 2018.

1. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn...88. It barely cracked 40 up here. We'll be back, just don't know when :( :(
  2. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Didn't have much video from day 11's ride as we spent a good chunk of it riding MX 5 north to San Felipe. Not wanting to deal with asphalt drone for 90+ miles, I tried getting off MX 5 a couple times. Had some fun, but ran into the 1k course and the deepest sand I've encountered.

The amount of destruction along MX 5 from Rosa was astounding, only have a small segment in the video, but there were plenty of places where the road was simply gone. Nuts.

3. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    your vids are the best so far i've seen. just plain adv riding, getting from one place to another and capturing whatever road you can find.

thanks.
    roscoe55, liv2day and Cabrito like this.
  4. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @NSFW! I appreciate the comments and glad you liked the videos. I was truly bummed when the Mavic died 3-days into the trip as I really like getting some aerial footage (chase and scenic) to mix together. I like the helmet cam perspective and recently picked up the GP 7 as the gimbal-like smoothness is amazing, looking forward to getting out on a ride and putting it to the test.

The last two videos will likely be short, didn't have as much off-road riding getting to Guadalupe Hot Springs nor getting back to Tecate on the last day. Still some fun stuff, especially the deep sand and rocky mess we bailed on after leaving Guadalupe :lol3
    roscoe55 likes this.
  5. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    liv2 used to shoot on-bike vids for customers at the trackdays we did for years. Some of that stuff is pretty good.

Some of it even has me in it! The Thunderhill quote in my footer is from his better half, an awesome rider herself.

Then came the GoPro.
    roscoe55 likes this.
  6. motomarty

motomarty n00b

Oddometer:
    Killer RR. I'm salivating as I read it. Heading down to Mulege on March 2nd and would love the tracks for the ride to San Jaunico after watching the vid. Also if there is anyone planning to be there that week love to hook up.

MM
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @motomarty! Have a blast in Mulege, it's a killer town with a lot to offer. Make sure to head south and explore some of the playas along MX1, fantastic beaches as you make your way toward Loreto.

I attached the GPX track from that day of riding. You'll see that it starts north of Mulege, up by Punta Chivato. We also ended the day in San Ignacio with a stop in San Juanico for lunch. Have fun with the water crossings - might want to check with locals if it's rained recently - some might be deeper than when we were there in Nov.

And if you're interested, all the tracks are posted somewhere in this report - can download the whole lot...lol.

Safe travels :-)

Attached Files:

8. motomarty

motomarty n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply! Awesome, i've been coming down for years. Done a lot of riding up north, just haven't ridden south of Guerro negro. I keep my xr 650r at my folks place in Mulege so I just fly in gear up head out.Now that it's there i can slowly start exploring.
    I only have a week this outing so gonna keep it close to home.I'm planning on a loop to SI SJ to Loreto. I'm gettin stoked.

Thanks again,

MM
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That's frickin' awesome, talk about a perfect situation. We didn't do the track I planned from San Juanico to Loreto as we were worried about hurricane damage and the Tiger 800 rider being able to make it. I'm following the Baja report posted by @trailwerks and they did the route we bailed on - said it was good riding. That'd be a good option to go back to the east coast after you hang in San Juanico.

I'd recommend hitting up @HellsAlien as he spends winters in Mulege and knows the local riding scene. Have another buddy with a place just south (Posada) who also has bikes and rides. He's not on here (has a hard time spelling Internet - about as hard a time as he has riding...LOL), but I bet he has good riding intel too.

Have a blast and post some pictures, damn winter months are dreary in the PNW.
    roscoe55 likes this.
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Almost to the end of the adventure, at least the video adventure I've been sifting through since coming back. All of the footage in this video was taken after we left MX 5 north of La Ventana, finally getting off road after 60ish miles of pavement droning.

It was really cool crossing dry lake/salt flat, albeit a bit disorienting as there's not much to navigate by. Spent some time trying to figure out where our track disappeared to on a couple occasions. The 'climb' into Guadalupe Canyon was great after riding the flats for so long, though the initial washboard into the canyon not so much...lol.

Just a short one with another short to follow for our last day of riding.

knight, roscoe55 and TheAdmiral like this.
  11. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice! I would like to check out Guadalupe Canyon on a future ride. It's always been kind of 'out of the way' for us. :thumb
  12. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! :thumb
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Rhode trip! If you're going to cross at Mexicali (or even Tecate), I'd make the trek east or west and then head south to Guadalupe - well worth the ride and coming from that direction it isn't tough at all - just washboard until you make the turn off to the hot springs You'll need to bring food and camp gear, but it's a great destination and I wish we could have stayed another day. There's supposed to be great hiking back into the canyon, waterfalls and the like as you make your way into the hills.
    roscoe55 likes this.
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @TheAdmiral! Hoping to have the final video cut together today, thus closing this report out :(. It's been fun to go back and re-watch all the videos and look at some of the pictures, this was truly a phenomenal trip that I hope to be lucky enough to do again.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Last video from the trip, another short one. Our plan was to head up into the hills after leaving Guadalupe Hot Springs and take a track that would've dropped us into La Rumarosa. Unfortunately, the track was beat to hell and we ended up bailing back to the main "road" and taking that to MX 2. Had there been more time (and we hadn't sent the Tiger rider ahead), I would have liked to pushed through as I'm sure the riding would have been fantastic. Next time.

Big thanks to all who followed along, hope you enjoyed the RR and it was worthy of the epic moniker :D. Not sure when I'll be able to take 3 weeks off work again, if ever, but I surely cannot wait to get back down to Baja and ride again.
  16. motomarty

motomarty n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey again, i got a question. Some may roll their eyes but I just got a garmin 64s and i,m pretty much computer illiterate. I used to have the 62s and i had everything uploaded already, so my question is, do I download the E32 map before I can add these tracks? Was busy tryin to get all my work done and totally forgot about this.

Thanks in advance,

MM
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    You can load the GPX file to the 64s either before or after you load the E32 map, it shouldn't make a difference as one is a track and the other is a map. That said, to be safe, I'd install the E32 map first, then load your tracks. Make sure you've selected the E32 map as the 'map product' on the 64s, otherwise you won't get the topo information from the E32 map. Once this is present and you've verified you can see all the topo info in the part of Baja you'll be riding, then load the track.

I screwed myself (or my Montana screwed me...lol) as I didn't pay close enough attention when loading the E32 and my tracks in that my tracks overwrote the E32 map (I forgot to specify that the microSD card should be the install location). Made navigation for trek south a challenge as I only had the track, no topo info.

Whatever you do, make sure everything is present before you get on a plane. I learned that lesson the hard way...lol.
    Cabrito likes this.
  18. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was glad to get lost in the sand in this video. Once it ended I was disappointed because of the several feet of snow outside and I can't go ride. I'll take the sand right now any day. Thanks for posting.
    roscoe55 and liv2day like this.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    I hear ya @TheAdmiral. Although we don't have snow outside our abode, there's too much of the damn white stuff in the coast range and the Cascades. Not much riding to be had, at least not the fun stuff. I might have to sneak out for some local gravel travel as I haven't thrown a leg over since coming back from Baja...and that was going on 4 months ago :( :(

Glad you enjoyed the vid, I want to explore that track to La Rumarosa the next time I'm down there :nod
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  20. TomfromBerta

TomfromBerta n00b

Oddometer:
    ahh I love Baja so much, one trip down only so far to watch the 1000, but will be heading back down soon! Cant wait.
    Ladybug likes this.