2 Weeks & 10 Days in Baja

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Nov 3, 2018.

1. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And I’m finally writing my ride report after re-reading yours.

Not as elaborate and videos will be forthcoming.

And it’s much colder here in WA than Baja. The week back after a whirlwind 9 days.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good on you @TomfromBerta - long haul getting down there from your neck of the woods. Have a great time and post up a report...much needed as it was only 21 degrees (F, not C...lol) outside our casa this morning :eek7 :eek7
  3. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Ahhh...must check the forum now!

Spring is supposed to be coming soon, right @mx813? Doesn't feel like it, too damn cold and there's too much damn snow where I like to ride :dirtdog

Looking forward to following your report man :-)
  4. roscoe55

roscoe55 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you, liv2day , for the time and effort you put into the RR ! The helmet cam perspective puts me right back there and that is priceless ! Interesting... The sandy boulder field (not in the video but I know you remember) preceding the sandy uphill where Day 13 vid ended - probably the most technical surface we rode and I would judge to be an intermediate trials section for 200 yds or so. If the (now skid -plateless) Tiger had come anywhere near that place, I would postulate that a petroleum spill incident would have ensued followed by a ceremonial fire and then by me having to walk some as I'm confident that TY would have rightfully commandeered the WR from under my behind. Glad it didn't come to that ! LoL - Next time !!
  5. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Last time I was down there he took the WR & put me on the Tiger, then proceeded to lead me through a dry river bed. I made it through somehow, so he then led me into a sand wash. Did a low speed front tuck on that. He must've been cracking up under that helmet.
    We're talking about you, TY.
    roscoe55 likes this.
  6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @roscoe55! Had such a great time riding with you down there amigo :thumb And I remember that effing mess prior to heading up into the deep sand, wanted my little 2-stroke instead of a fully loaded WR with 4.7 gallons of fuel...lol.

Any chance you'll have a dual-sport steed anytime in the near future? Summer isn't too far off now, want to get another far SE Oregon ride put together - this time dipping down into NV and exploring the great big empty that's so fun to ride. Keep it in mind :-)
    roscoe55 likes this.
  7. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That sounds more like the TY I know...LOL. Surprised he didn't take you on the track that leads from Mulege to San Juanico with ~13 water crossings :eek7 :eek7

And someone will have to bring this thread up for TY, he still has issues with the hole "internet" thing. And make sure to increase the font so he doesn't have to find a magnifying glass :lol3 :lol3
    roscoe55 likes this.
  8. roscoe55

roscoe55 n00b

Oddometer:
    Bring it up for him, but all in due time. The only way I've ever been able to offer up a fully formed critique is if he doesn't have a chance to open his mouth or if he falls down. :D hee hee! :D
  9. Motomantra

Oddometer:
    You gotta' be quick, or wait 'till he sticks a cigar in his mouth.
    roscoe55 likes this.
  10. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey liv2day,

I just got back for week ride in Baja California with my WR250R. Had a tuff time with sand coming from Virginia. So, what speed did you keep in sand and any tips on technique?

I make mistake of leaning too far back and dumping the throttle when the front wheel started paddling like a pendulum left and right. Then I would crash.

Thanks.

GF-kam
  11. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What did you air your WR250R tires in Baja?

What tires did you use on WR250R?

GF-kam
  12. Motomantra

Oddometer:
    Go faster, it does take a leap of faith. Once the bike gets up on top of the sand it's much easier.
    Not so much on my 500 pound V-Strom.
  13. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried. But fell first day in deep sand and nearly broke my left foot at ankle. Torn ligaments. Fell another half a dozen times and broke a rib. So after than my speed was checked in at 25 MPH. I fired an email to Jimmy Lewis. He has a different technique.
  14. Motomantra

Oddometer:
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Apologies for not replying sooner @GF-kam, been in Death Valley for the last week and just saw this.

I didn't reduce the pressure in my tires when riding sand, didn't want to deal with pinch flats as there were lots of rocks to hit (plenty of those in the past...lol). I ran the Pirelli rallycross tires (MT21s I think) and they were great down there.

As far as riding style, I threw my weight back and kept a steady throttle going, didn't get going faster than 25 or 30mph and that worked well. It was tough when the 4.7g tank was fully loaded with fuel, but I managed to keep the front tire floating most of the time. The biggest thing for me in riding in sand is to let the bars do what they will and not fight 'em. It was tough as there were times when I thought the damn bike was going throw me on my arse, but in those moments I'd just give her a little more gas and she'd settle down (not WFO, but just a bit more). I should have installed a steering damper, but didn't have the $$$. I know those help tremendously in sand - crank it up so she won't slap you around.

Really sorry to hear about the torn ligaments in your ankle and broken rib, that's a seriously $hitty way to spend time in Baja :(. I hope the ligament damage isn't too bad and you heal up.

Had to deal with sand in Death Valley too and the same thing helped me there - just get my arse back and keep a steady/slow throttle going. It was work, but I didn't hit the deck.
    GF-kam likes this.
  16. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thank you very much master liv2day. Very helpful tips on Baja sand. Sound like you've incorporated Jimmy Lewis's technique staying loose with arms and using a quick momentary throttle response when steering / handlebar start going around. Took me a week to get up to 25 MPH. I also need to focus on steering with my legs and not handlebar. Many thanks. Great ride report.

Kam

[​IMG]
  17. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the kind words, though I'm definitely still a hack (have to paddle when the sand gets deeper and I lose momentum...lol). Staying light on the bars was something I had to literally say to myself in my helmet multiple times - damn tough to stick to it when the front wheel shot off in a direction I wasn't expecting.

Oh yeah, for pressures in the Pirellis, I ran ~25 in the rear and ~27 up front. Not great for sand traction, but no flats for 2600+ miles down there :D

Glad you enjoyed the report, was a fantastic trip south of the border and one I hope to do again.
    Sidewaysxr and GF-kam like this.