2 Weeks & 10 Days in Baja

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Nov 3, 2018.

1. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    Awesome RR! Thanks for the great pictures too.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks @joenuclear! I still have riding footage to look through and edit into something mildly entertaining for days 6-13, so the report will linger for a while yet :-)
  3. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent! Great pictures and I think your explanation of BAJA is pretty spot on.

You probably have it figured out by now but tent poles can be made from kits and there an article about on the front ADV home page, it does suck to loose something you're used to though.

I'll keep a look out for some of your other vids.
  4. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Very nice. Thanks for taking the time. :beer
  5. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Hohmie! I can't wait to get back down to Baja and ride again, going to include a trip to Agua Verde as well as San Francisco (read about those in @flyingdutchman177's report).

And I didn't see the article on making tent poles from kits; on the main page, going to check that out now as I'd really like to have the tent for a back-up.
  6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Motomantra, appreciate the kind words!
  7. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    you had that pic of the loiterer under your gear, for the same reason you don't unroll your sleepingbag early, even with a good tent ,like cockroaches they n snakes, spiders etc can find a way in. we tape the closed zipper area so as not to feed the mozies.
    thanks for the report ,we have some Baja time coming up late this year, winter is getting old faster than we are.
    liv2day likes this.
  8. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That's a good thought, I almost always unpack the bag to let it "fill out" per se. That little scorpion wasn't that happy about having his hiding place removed...lol.

Look forward to reading your trip report from your trek to Baja!
  9. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say that is a pretty good trip...all 3 bikes made it back (sans tent poles,) no injuries and plenty of tacos had. Got my bike stripped down and checking/torquing everything I can. The 6P's...Proper Prevention Prevents Piss Poor Performance... and we all are running mousse inserts.

Regarding your earlier question about running part of Score course...there are a few areas we touch on it but not a lot. Along Pacific by Erendira/Colonet, Diablo Lake and Goat trail towards Laguna Hanson. None of that 3' whooped out stuff.

I'll start a ride report soon...trying to build up excitement with inmates, etc...Need to reactivate my photosharing site do that.
  10. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @mx813, it was a damn good trip! We had 3 bikes for the trip south and then 4 bikes for the return trip north (good buddy from Tillamook flew into Loreto and rode TY's DR650 back to the border). I'm truly shocked that we didn't have a single flat the entire trip, 2600 miles for my WR250 and similar for the Toms. Not only that, my Pirelli Rallycross tires held up and there's still a tiny bit of life left in the rear (and the front could easily go another 1000 miles).

Glad you're not hitting any of the big whooped stuff, that sucked.

Looking forward to reading your ride report :nod :nod
  11. 15's Pop

15's Pop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    amazing stuff!
    pops
  12. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was great. It sure makes me wish we were going back this winter. I really enjoyed the photos and video of the ride from Bay of LA through San Franciscito and Piedra Blanca as I'd like to ride through there but haven't tried it yet. Same with Guadalupe Canyon... hope to visit one of these days!
    roadcapDen likes this.
  13. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @15's Pop, appreciate the comments and you going through the report!
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Given how awesome your trip reports are there Mr. Trip, I thank you for the kind words :-) :-). Too bad you guys aren't heading down south, could use some vicarious Baja when February gets here and we've been looking at grey skies and rain for months.

If you get a chance to ride from Bay of LA south the same way we did, do it. Stay at Piedra Blanca as that'd be a good day's ride on your TWs. Guadalupe HS are a must if you're anywhere near the area, especially if you cross at Mexicali and are looking for someplace cool to crash the first night (but bring food...lol).
    Rhode trip likes this.
  15. BajaCoyote

BajaCoyote Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report. Been to all those places. Imposible not to since I am an adventure bike rider out of Mexicali. Guess I am lucky to live here. Strange behavior on behalf of the officer since bikes don nt need to wait in line, actually lane splitting is encouraged not only by local transit authorities regarding border crossing but by US Customs too, in fact the west port of entry in Calexico has a motorcycle only lane. That translates to a 5 minute wait whilst cagers do 90 or 120 minute on non holidays. On Christmas and so expect anywhere from 3 to 4 1/2 hour in line on a car.
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @BajaCoyote!

I have a feeling the reluctance on the part of the officer was caused by the 3 or 4 hour wait as it was the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Once we made it past the officer, it was really cool how we were treated by all the cars/trucks in line - none of them seemed upset or peeved that we made our way to the front. In fact, I didn't include this in my last post, but I had to pull out of line to retrieve my passport from the bowels of my pack as we approached the border agent (neglected to do so before we left that fantastic taco place...doh).

Jumped off my bike, opened my rear pack, and dug through a dry bag to get my passport. The truck that was behind us patiently waited and once I had my passport, they waved me back into the line - even smiled at me as I did so.

Pretty damn cool, no horns honking, fingers waiving, etc. :-) :-)
    BajaCoyote likes this.
  17. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed the R.R. and pictures,looks like you guys had a great adventure,been through the area years ago,but not on a bike.Going to get off my arse and plan a "trip of a lifetime",thanks for posting!
  18. gritt

gritt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing ride report, looked like a great trip. It's on my bucket list for sure. Thanks for sharing.
  19. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @crashkorolyk!

I hope you make your trip happen, especially if you haven't been through Baja on a bike before. It's incredible, likely take a lifetime to explore. It would be hard to pick favorite spots, but make sure your trip includes Bay of LA, Catavina, Rancho Piedra Blanca and San Francisquito, Scorpion Bay, San Ignacio, Mulege and if you make it far enough south, Agua Verde (didn't visit personally, saw pics from @flyingdutchman177's report). Truly amazing riding and if you like to camp off the bike - there's tons and tons of places.

Glad you enjoyed the report :-) :-)
    crashkorolyk likes this.
  20. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @gritt! Appreciate the comments :nod :nod It'll be a long haul to get there from GA, but worth it if you can take a couple weeks to ride & explore.