2 Weeks & 10 Days in Baja

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by liv2day, Nov 3, 2018.

1. liv2day

liv2day Is Anyone Here a Marine Biologist! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had some time to look through video footage from our day 6 ride; San Ignacio to San Juanico. This was a great ride that took us down the Pacific side of the peninsula. As I mentioned in the report covering this day, I could have stayed in San Juanico (Scorpion Bay) for a few days taking it all in. Muy tranquilo

Ahh...Baja.

Rhode trip and crashkorolyk like this.
  2. climberevan

climberevan planning the next journey

Oddometer:
    Nice report and ride. Good job figuring things out for yourselves!
  3. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool video from SI to SJ.. Since you didn't take the coastal route which is really cool BTW... Did you take what I usually call the high road? I've never taken it and wondering if my FJ cruiser would be okay on it.
  4. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Awesome adventure. Thanks for taking the time to share!
  5. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Cabrito!

Want to make sure we're talking about the same track. There's a track that peeled off the paved section as we made our west that I originally planned to take and TY referred to that as the high road (first pic attached). TY said he had intel from one of other Baja regulars that it was beat up after the hurricane, so we took the low road that followed the coast for a ways.

If you follow our actual track, no issues making it in your FJ. I would have preferred to hug the coastline like we did on our return trip from Mulege to San Ignacio, but aside from a long section that was really rocky, it wasn't too bad.

Let me know if any of what's above makes sense...lol.

Planned route below - we skipped the "High Road"
    high-road-track.JPG

Actual ride - nothing your FJ couldn't handle.
    actual-track.JPG
  6. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks @Humunn! Appreciate the comments and you taking the time to read through everything :-)
    Humunn likes this.
  7. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot for the info.. MY FJ Cruiser made the lower coastal route easily back in 2015 and My KLR and my XR4 of course handled it all just fine.. I'll take a look at the GPS Tracks you sent me too..
  8. Lior520

Lior520 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @liv2day do you mind sharing the planned and actual gpx files?
  9. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Happily @Lior520 :-)

Attached the tracks I planned in advance and our actual ride. Hopefully, folks will find this useful and this doesn't cause any issues. Mods - please let me know if these need to be sent via PM.

Attached Files:

Cabrito and Humunn like this.
  10. Lior520

Lior520 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir.

Question:
    Why would posting the tracks for your trip would cause any issues??? :confused
  11. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Don't think they usually do, but whilst searching for tracks myself, I found some pulled at the request of others. Have a feeling it's that line between wanting to share and be helpful while also not inviting the hordes...know what I mean?

Hopefully, they help you with planning a ride down there. So much to explore...
    Lior520 likes this.
  12. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was just about to ping you regarding the high/low road west out of Catavina and lo and behold...you posted your route. I was able to pull that track - day 4 and make a route to San Jose Del Faro using your track and the high road on the way back. Ironically enough, it overlaps 6 miles of our next days route to BOLA via Campershell trail and then points east.

Looks to be roughly a 100 mile round trip from Catavina to the ocean and back to Catavina on a fun 2 track.

Attached Files:

13. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report guys, the right amount of enthusiasm and appreciation for a very special, albeit shrinking frontier. A pleasure to read and your pictures were fantastic. You covered a lot of great terrain and missed even more, a good thing actually as that is what I believe draws adventurous souls back; there is always more to see. Made my first trip to Mulege by air in 1962 with my dad. I've lost count of my return trips, have my regular favorites but I am still discovering new trails and learning from others every trip. The end of a ride is just the beginning of the plan for another. Heading out the 15th of next month, hoping for lots of flowers, Feb can be very colorful. P1000832 (2).JPG
    climberevan, Rhode trip and liv2day like this.
  14. liv2day

Oddometer:
    That track out of Catavina and back looks like a blast @mx813!. I'll be curious to hear how the track is as you head west toward the coast (and double back on it). We were on the Baja 1k course for 25-30 miles (or so) as we made our way west, but this was before the race. Hopefully, it's not torn-to-hell and you get to enjoy it - I loved riding through the desert on that section with all the fauna. There are some rock paintings that you can hike to as you make your way to the Pacific, look for the sign if you feel like stopping and checking 'em out.
  15. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind comments @ztrab! I think it's cool as hell that you've been going since '62, hoping our boys have the same desire to head down there and explore now that we've introduced them to Baja.

And I really like this line: The end of a ride is just the beginning of the plan for another. Perfect.

Safe travels as you head down there in February, hope to see a ride report from your adventure :nod :nod
    ztrab likes this.
  16. liv2day

Oddometer:
    Had a chance to sift through the GP footage on the ride from San Juanico to Loreto - last day of riding on our trek south. Though the ride didn't quite go as planned (blown-out track and battery issues), the ride from La Purisima into Loreto was one of my favorites of the trip. So much so, that I needed to split the video into part 1 and part 2 so it wouldn't be 10 minutes long...lol.

One lesson reinforced thanks to TY on this ride - getting an extra month of life out of your 5-year old battery in Baja is not the best plan for saving $$$ :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Riding through the Sierra de la Giganta range was incredible.

17. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for sharing. I'm using your notes and another RR to plan a March trip. I've been there several times but it is amazing what others find that is new to me. Stoked!
    liv2day and Burro driver like this.
  18. liv2day

Oddometer:
    I imagine March is the perfect time to head down, especially when you're in our neck of the woods. I see that you're from the Oregon high desert - Bend area? Or further east? I really enjoy riding out that way, so much to explore and totally different than the west side of the Cascades.

I'll be on the look out for a trip report if you're planning to post one, can't get enough Baja :D :D
  19. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Prineville to be specific. Yes, tough to beat the high desert. Baja is a lot like it...but, on steroids!
  20. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about your Feb trip, choked that I can't get away this year. I'm seriously thinking about storing a bike stateside permanently to make this an annual trip. Next year mx813, next year.

@liv2day - great RR, thanks for taking us along. Looking out the window at knee deep snow and another dumping coming this weekend so all the sunny pics help.