2 WR250RS heading north - maintenance help

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Scinap, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Scinap

Scinap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Myself and my girlfriend are in Whitehorse, looking to head north. Our plan at the moment is to head up the Dempster then over to Fairbanks, over the next weeks. We could use any help that could be offered as I am more or less clueless and she has been riding for about a month now. The bikes are sure to need some love and attention. We are very happy to do our own work, but we are carrying basic tools.

We are both 31, her from Germany, myself from Australia.
  2. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    I suggest you give the bikes any attention they need before you head any further north. You want your equipment to be in top shape before you hit the Dempster. Resources and parts become much harder to get as soon as you leave Whitehorse until you get to Anchorage or Fairbanks.
  3. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with Keith, take care of the bikes in Whitehorse or Anchorage - someplace where you have a local Yamaha dealer if needed. If you're not accustomed to the periodic maintenance routine, I'd consult a service manual and at a minimum go over:

Tires, chain, sprockets, spokes, air filter, oil change and check the plug gaps. Maybe feel the wheel bearings depending on service miles and water exposure. Pretty basic stuff. The valve check interval on those is 20K miles so I wouldn't bother if they are running well. I've got a hangar and tools in Anchorage and would be glad to assist but no first hand knowledge of those bikes.

Edit: Of course you could make an appointment to drop the bikes at Anchorage Yamaha and enjoy the day while the minions go over everything.
    keith in alaska likes this.
  4. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you make it down to Homer-
    Have oil change facilities, chain lube, tire irons, etc..
    simestd likes this.
  5. simestd

Oddometer:
  6. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should mention: I keep half dozen Yamaha oil filters in stock, the WR250R is one of my daily riders.
    As long as you guys are not axe murderers, or super creepy we have tent camping area, glacier views, etc.
    PM for telephone contact if/when you get close.
    Gravel riding tip: Keep a light touch on the handlebars in the deep stuff, let the WR find it's way.
    simestd likes this.
  7. simestd

Oddometer:
    What an offer!! I'd wager @Full Power has a good line on the local seafood establishments as well :dukegirl
  8. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Ya, but he is awfully judgmental. What’s with the no axe murders stuff? Paint a 100 houses and no one calls you an artist; whack one person with an axe and you’re an axe murder for life.....

What’s your inseam Full Power? I like everything about the WR250, except the 36 inch seat height.
    simestd likes this.
  9. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    ya and the Kenai has fantastic scenery as well. Anchor Point (on the way) is as far WEST as you can drive in th this hemisphere.

do you mean the bikes have been riding for a month or your girlfriend has been riding for a month? pretty sure I would not take someone that has been riding 1 month on the haul road
  10. Manrider218

Manrider218 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seat height is about 19 inches... from the footpegs.

Attached Files:

12. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    And how far from the ground are the foot pegs?
  13. Scinap

Scinap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    She's been riding a month, and has had the bike a month. See how she goes. Tomorrow we head up the Dempster. My front sprocket is a bit shot and my chain isn't very happy. And I've got a leaking fork seal, and my rear tire has about 1800km left in it, but apart from that we are not too bad with fresh oil.

I really wish that I had gotten the fork looked at in Whitehorse, but at that point we were going to ride to Fairbanks. Leaking fork into 1800km of dirt. What could go wrong? By the time we get to Alaska, I'd want to get to work on this stuff. Thanks for all your kind responses. I do agree that this is something best worked on beforehand, but it's hard to turn around now.
  14. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    go to Anchorage & Kenai/Homer. thank me later
    keith in alaska likes this.
  15. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your ride. This could get interesting!!
  16. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do know the distance up the Dempster and back is about 1800km? I was just in Whitehorse and 3 dealers did not have a rear tire for my 250 Super Sherpa and it would take 7 days to get one.
  17. Scinap

Scinap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check Yukon Yamaha if you have not. Great guys and they had a D606 in stock on Monday. There is a reason I wrote 1800km, it was a little tongue in cheek.
    Cal likes this.
  18. ACR

ACR 52,015

Oddometer:
    Be sure to check the chain sliders on both bikes, specifically the bottom - closest to the front sprocket. WR’s have been known to eat swing arms.
  19. Scinap

Scinap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah mines's halfway gone, but it's been slow progression. We bailed on the Dempster with great weather and friends to get the forms looked at. I'm still regretting it.