$20 + hacksaw = adjustable kickstand (KLR 650)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KTH, Nov 19, 2010.

1. KTH

KTH KLR rider

Oddometer:
    This is not my idea.

It comes from:
    http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35749

But it appears that he has a machine shop and can weld. I don't and I can't. So, I was curious if I could make one with my tools and skills. First try was with JB weld, did not work. Second try I used a local welder who charged me $10 ...worked great!

All of the parts I got at Lowes for under $10. I could have gotten it cheaper, but they were out of the shorter threaded rods so I had to get a longer one.

Here are the parts:
    [​IMG]

I cut the angle thing with a hacksaw. I cut off the bottom of the original kickstand. I then cut the rod at an angle that matched the foot of the original kickstand with the hack saw and ended up with this:
    [​IMG]
    I took all of this to a local welder and had the nut welded to the upper part of the kickstand and the flat metal thing welded to the angle side of the threaded bar. Like so:
    [​IMG]

Screwed together it looked like this:
    [​IMG]

I painted it...
    [​IMG]

...and put it back on my bike:
    [​IMG]

The bottom nut is used as a lock and I also have a lock washer in there to make sure nothing vibrates off. It works perfectly!

Again, this was NOT my idea. I just dumbed it down a little so that someone with access to a hacksaw, a Lowes, and a local welder can make one for less that $20.
  2. Olas

Olas the darkness

Oddometer:
    That's a good idea but why do you need it to be adjustable? I'd file those corners down before your rip your pants or cut yourself.
  3. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Be careful, threaded rod is very mild (soft) and does not stand up to side forces well. Just keep an eye on it, if you need to make version 2 you might choose a long grade 8 bolt as your starting point. Otherwise...I like it.
  4. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto about the mild steel, that is a butter bolt.
    Becareful !

Very good job & even better idea.
  5. KTH

KTH KLR rider

Oddometer:
    This may be a dumb question, but would a 5/8 inch grade 8 bold have the same threads as the 5/8 inch threaded rod? If so, I could just switch them out (after another trip to the welder).

...it's adjustable b/c I lowered my KLR 2 inches and the stock kickstand is too long, but now the back bottoms out pretty easy ...so, I want to raise it back up at least an inch and get a lower seat. Even lowered two inches I am on my tipee toes.
  6. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    Seems like overkill for a one-time adjustment after installing shortened suspension. I'd be worried about it vibrating loose and falling off.

You could cut the foot off and weld it to a larger diameter tube that would slide over the original. Then shorten the original tube and drill holes through both tubes that allow you to pin it in 2 or 3 different lengths.
  7. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:

Yes, the pitch would be the same. You most likely will only have about 3" of threaded length to work with so be careful where you choose to cut it. Also, since it is so much harder you will have a difficult time cutting it with a hacksaw (read that as impossible for the inexperienced, it is a job for an angle grinder).
  8. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are good at criticizing things and most make good points. BUT, nice job, especially if it does what you need.
  9. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    There will be two threads available for 5/8" and you will be able to tell the difference by looking at them. Get the one that matches, obviously. Chances are good the average hardware store probably doesn't even carry a 5/8 "fine" thread anyway.
  10. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Same threads, just buy a long enough bolt and chop to fit.
  11. kpt4321

kpt4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A neater way to do this would be to keep the bottom half as well, just cut a section of out the middle and weld nuts onto both the top and bottom halves. That way, you have a normal kickstand, with a short piece of threaded rod in the middle.
  12. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    Thats exactly what I was thinking.
  13. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:
    different folks ...

don't like the looks and the sharp edges on the foot
    don't see the need for an adjustable side stand,
    how often do you plan to lower and raise the bike?
  14. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    As I see it, there are advantages to an adjustable stand on a bike with allot of suspension travel. Examples, new knobbies and no load = longer, loaded with camping gear or riding two up = shorter.

I do agree, those sharp edges need to be softened.
  15. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:
    +1 on a harder bolt. Also you have cantilevered extra weight out toward the end and may have issue with the kickstand spring.

My KLR was adjustable.

Unloaded, the kickstand pushed into the ground and the bike fell on the left side.

Loaded, the suspension settled and it fell to the right.

Eventually I fixed the problem.
  16. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

This has several advantages: retains the stock foot and discards the sharp cornered, clunky looking hardware store foot and shortens the exposed threaded rod which means that the threaded rod you've got is probably adequate.

You might even cover the threads with heat shrink tubing to clean it up and keep the threads clean.

Nice work!
  17. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:
    please explain the connection between
    riding with a passenger
    and side stand length

thank you
  18. uraberg

uraberg whosaberg?

Oddometer:
    I like the idea. I might do one myself to keep the bike a bit more upright at times.

My incarnation would see a middle section cut out, weld a left hand nut on the bottom, a right hand nut on top, and for adjustment, weld a left and a right hand bolt together head to head.
  19. Al Tuna

Al Tuna NSFW

Oddometer:
    My wife mounts the bike first, once shes on, the kick stand is too long and makes it hard for me to hold the bike while I get on.

And shes not gymnastic, she is unable to climb on last. :lol3

She did climb on a few times but then she couldn't get off.:baldy
  20. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:
    sounds scray
    did you have her try mounting the bike after you did
    by stepping on her footpeg?
    once standing on the peg she does not need much flexibility,
    she can even step thru between a top box and you