200 EXC, 250 EXC or 300 EXC?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by B1, Aug 5, 2014.

1. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    in that case it sounds as if i've got a bum steer on the info i put in the vid. ktm's claimed weights only show about a 2kg difference nowadays though?
  2. Bump Stop

Bump Stop 2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer:
    219 for the 200 and 229 for the 250/300.
  3. Traumat1x

Traumat1x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Resurecting an old thread but the topic is exactly what i'm after.

I'm about 190lbs (85kg's)0 dry without gear and 6.0ft (1.84m).
    I ride a YZ250F and I've got a Kawasaki KLX450R but that thing is a bit insane for the trails we do. Single track, bumps quite a lot of sandy bits etc.
    I feel very comfortable on the YZ250F but I'm looking for a 2Stroke now.
    (maintenance / repair costs etc).

I've also ridden a YZ250 (2T) but that had a LIGHTened flywheel and it was pretty insane. Didn't really like the power delivery and it tired me out a lot more than my YZ250F did.

Does the KTM 200EXC have a bit more power than the YZ250F?
    If so I almost feel that will then be the perfect bike, however the deep sand bits we have here has me a tad worried that I will be stressing it a bit?

Would the 250EXC be better you guys think, put in a green spring perhaps?
    Does the 250 have the same linear power than the 300 just less?

Should I green spring a 300EXC or XC-w rather, maybe drop a tooth or two at the rear?

I'm trying to see if i can ride them but the opportunities are not really there.
  4. cosmic

cosmic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I jumped from a '12 WR450F to a' '15 EXC250 (EU equivalent of the XCW). I am 6'4'' and 230 in my baby suite, so I had to change the springs fore/aft. I had the same doubts as you at the beginning,minus the 200 which I ruled out immediately.
    Finnaly I choose the 250 and it was the right choice.
    I'm genuinely in love with this bike. It has enough torque on the low end for pretty much everything, and plenty of grunt once the valve opens. When the time for the new top end will come, I'll switch to 300. Two bikes in one I guess for the price of one new 300.

My mistress...
    [​IMG]
  5. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
    I had an older version of that bike when I lived in South Africa absolutely loved it!
    It is a great do it all off-roader. I would buy another one.
  6. Traumat1x

Oddometer:
    She sure is a beaut!

Thanks for the reply....and also about the XCW/EXC. I'm in South Africa so makes sense since I find a lot of EXC's listed. makes me lean a bit more to the 250 side of things esp since one can swap out a piston kit for the 300 as per video. Had a look and indeed seems to be an option.

Seems I can look at the 250 then.
    I just don't want that hit the YZ250 2t has. I guess one can do a few things to mellow it out and it's not that much heavier than the 200.
  7. Bump Stop

Bump Stop 2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer:
    I have an 05 YZ 250 with a flywheel weight and love it! The Yamahas have better suspension stock. The yz without the weight has a brutal hit, and does not work in the woods.
  8. Traumat1x

Oddometer:
    Yeah I really love my YZ250F suspension but the YZ250 smoker is pretty much NOT for woods in this setup. it was setup for MX with the lightened flywheel and also the suspension is set for MX. Not liking how it rides. My YZ250F however really does work well but the maintenance for our amount of riding is a bit much. I'd like a Smoker.
  9. cosmic

cosmic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's no such hit as with the old crossers, plus you can mellow it down with the spring adjuster and/or new spring. I didn't touch anything.
    As far as the suspension yam/ktm or link/pds goes, I don't "feel" any difference, I just know I'm riding this 250 better, faster, with more confidence and control than I ever did with my ex WR.
  10. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    For off road KTM suspension is way better than any MX bike, just depends on the year & type of fork.. As far as power goes the YZ is king of H.P. but all that power can wear you out pretty quickly. even with flywheel weight. I loved the YZ 250 I rode, it was properly setup for offroad with suspesion , flexx bars, 18 inch rear wheel pretty much all he goodies including flywheel weight & offroad exhaust. Just at my age {56} the power delivery kicked my ass at the end of the day. Personally the 250 exc has the perfect power delivery for me , lugs down very well, then comes on the pipe with just a dip of the clutch. If you are younger / stronger the YZ is a great bike , the chassis is magic & feels like its on rails . For an old dude the KTM is easier to ride longer but may not be powerful enough for some larger riders in deep sand w/o fanning the clutch out of turns & such. which builds heat in the engine. Just my opinion , YMMV.
  11. Traumat1x

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies.

My KLX450R got sold today, now just to sell the YZ250F but I'm starting to look at the KTM exc/XC-W 's.

I pretty much decided against the YZ250 2 now.

I still can't make up my mind on wich one. Everything about the 200 I read and see makes me think that's the one except the times when we will ride dunes. Then I think it may be a bit stressed. The 300 seems to much for me at this stage.

Is the 250 exc/XC-W 's power delivery also more woods and wide range orientated or is it more of a on of feel than either the 200 or 300?
    I read this somewhere but can't see how that could be the case, since it's also an exc.

My gut tells me go for the 250exc.
  12. stevo7706

stevo7706 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a KX125 and a YZ250. My next bike is the new KTM150sx. It should be a dream bike to ride.

Attached Files:

13. slideways

slideways España

Oddometer:
  14. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    it's different things for different riders, you'd probably need test rides to see what how you would gel with either bike. if you have any dealers nearby, try a beta RR300 too. these are so silky smooth power-wise that they can be an option for guys who might find the extra hit of a 300 a bit of a handful.
  15. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Yeah Buddy, was looking @ those yesterday. Would love to try one out,. Did you see Kailub Russell win the last GNCCs last year on one ?
  16. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    B1 knows his stuff ! Go check out his vids.. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=972472 :deal
  17. stevo7706

stevo7706 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, but I could see how. I met a guy who has all the KTM dirtbikes (lucky him) and the 150 was his favorite. I rode it and fell in love. It hits that sweetspot for me. He told me to wait till the new ones come out. Looks like I'm going orange!
  18. Traumat1x

Oddometer:
    Nice that they are getting competition from Yamaha now.
    I definitly wont be buying new now. Kinda new to the Enduro/Funduro/ riding and am not gonn a blow a bunch of cash on a new or almost new bike.
    No, I'll be looking at 2010 models and older I'm afraid. imho it's then easier to take a hit if I dont like say a 200 and go up to a 250 or 300 or if I dont like the 250 go down to a 200 without losing too much I think.

Looking @B1's videos almost has me thinking 200 now again :norton
    Fantastic videos btw. Not only funny but I'm learning stuff.

I'd like to be able to do some of that trail riding type stuff...and I bet the 200 is easier to learn on than the 250 or 300 for my 85KG frame right?

I also believe in test riding B1, but unlike what I did with all my previous bikes, we dont get to test ride MX/Enduro bikes here. i.e They dont do these day events ec that I'm aware of. My best bet will be to ask for a ride on a stranger at a trail. :D
    Also none of them ride the 200, but they are also all 90KG plus. Looks like Im definitely the most lightweight between them. They all ride KTM 300's and there is a Beta 300rr and a couple of Husqvarna 310's and Gasgas 300's

I guess that should tell me something but, most people gravitate to the bigger bikes on average without thinking it might be too much or that a lighter less powerful bike might make one a better rider.

My inexperienced logic is i cant ride any of these bikes to 100% yet.

If I can ride a 200 exc to 90% or 100% of its ability then I can look at a 250 or 300. But what might be an issue is that, I go to a funduro event, and everyone pitches with a 300 and I can't make a climb on a 200 not because of skill but because it just doesn't have the guts.
    The flipside though is I can be riding a 300 and it tires me out on the small switchback trails through the trees where with a 200 I would have been able to gain more experience in the ride and shifting etc rather than trying to keep a 300 uinder control.

My only concern on the 200 tbh from looking at reviews etc is that I can't gather what type of hillclimb would be out of it's reach and will Sandy dunes and trails be taxing the engine. or will it be able to handle it. Keeping in mind my YZ250F handles the sandy trails really well. Haven't taken it on too many hillclimbs or to the dunes yet though.
  19. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    it almost seems to be an australian thing to get the biggest capacity bike you can, but i do know a small handful of guys who deliberately get smaller bikes like the 200 so they can learn their clutch skills to the max.

re: test rides, i have seen guys ask on a forum if anyone would like to meet up for a ride and just swap bikes for five minutes, on the basis that you'll take it very easy but just want to get a feel for what a certain model is like. always plenty of guys happy to show off their bikes and you might meet some new riding buddies? :D
  20. Traumat1x

Oddometer:
    Yeah I'm definitely gona try bum some rides - hey i can also offer them my YZ250F if the want :D
    The more CC's the better might be a Southern Hemisphere thing then... cause it's the same here in South Africa.