200 EXC, 250 EXC or 300 EXC?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by B1, Aug 5, 2014.

1. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:

I bumped into a guy on a new KTM 200 xc-w today out on the trail and offered to swap with my Husaberg FE570 for a few minutes and he said "no thanks"! Sometimes less can be more!

Well I couldn't blame him at all, we'd just met and his KTM looked brand spanking new.
    Benduro likes this.
  2. slideways

slideways EspaƱa

Oddometer:
    When I lived in South Africa I had a 520,450 and the 250xcw they were all great bikes but if I could choose just one it would be the 250. For the non linkage models up grade to the Ohlins TTX shock and you will be amazed at how the bike eats up terrain.

There is a guy there that makes these awesome pipe cages. After smashing a few pipes I installed one and never smashed another pipe.

image.jpg

[​IMG]
  3. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    i went for the force accessories skidplate/exhaust guard. very heavy duty but unlike the one above you probably want to put on a carbon fiber guard as well just for the upper parts of the pipe.

4. Traumat1x

Traumat1x Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips. Will definitely look into the guards. I've been on the hunt, so far nothing that I felt comfortable with (Price wise or weird vibes on the bike history or just really non maintained bikes),.... but I might have found a good 2009 250 xcw.
    Wish me luck.
  5. Traumat1x

Oddometer:
    I looked at that 2009 250 xcw but it wasn't the one, but, i have found another 2009 250 xcw and went for it.
    Got it for a good price i think although it does need a kickstand, and a exauhst cage/guard of some sort and the electric starter is buggered. So will need to look at getting it repaired but will first do a little check myself around the wires etc.

Just went through the bike to check spokes, tyres, whats wrong whats right and so on even based on my limited knowledge.

[​IMG]
    :D

I can't wait to take it out and do some proper test riding.
  6. Traumat1x

Oddometer:
    Loving the bike! Very glad I went with the 250 now. It has a 52 tooth rear sprocket on. tried a few climbs today and second does well.
    Got to get use to the 2stroke though, in terms of non engine breaking mostly.
  7. Kr@ken

Kr@ken n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I'm looking at KTM exc 250 or 300. I have no any enduro experience, except of mountain bike cross country/downhill. And I believe that for the beginner (I want to start hard enduro learning) 250 is enough, but I'm worry about my physique - I'm 193 centimeters tall and almost 100 kilograms weight (not fat).

So,
    1. Start from 250 and later move to 300 via upgrade kit?
    2. or take the 300 from the start?

Thank you for any detailed thoughts!
  8. Traumat1x

Oddometer:
    I'd go 250 first if it was me. You can upgrade the 250 to a 300 with a 300 piston rings and a 300 top end iirc.
  9. Kr@ken

Kr@ken n00b

Oddometer:
    And 250 won't be too weak as for 100 kg rider?
  10. Texasclouds

Texasclouds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    heck no! i've heard of guys riding 125 and 200 cc 2-strokes that weigh that much. steep climbs is known to be a limitation on the smaller cc.

you can do everything on a 250 that you can on a 300...the limitation is the rider.
    disconnected likes this.
  11. Bump Stop

Bump Stop 2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer:
    It's counterintuitive but the 300 is easier to ride than the 250. Just get the 300 and be done with it.
  12. Kr@ken

Kr@ken n00b

Oddometer:
    Less stalling, easier climbing etc?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
  13. Bump Stop

Bump Stop 2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much, and less maintenance because you don't need to rev the engine to get HP.
  14. lamoson

lamoson something catchier

Oddometer:
    my pops (age 60) is getting back into riding this year. He rode back in his 30's on enduro bikes over seas. we are currently trying to decide between a 200 or a 300. most likely xc-w's. he is not a beginner, but by no means advanced. i am leaning toward the 300 because of the low end grunt. i feel like with the green spring and maybe even a rekluse, it can be tamed down enough for it to be a little easier on him.

i don't know much of the 200's. my worry is that he would have to be on the pipe too much to really get the bike to move. can the 200 be grunted around and still enjoyed. He is about 215 lbs., his wants light and manageable. he has a bad knee that is his biggest concern. any thoughts?
  15. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    the new bikes are all pretty much the same weight, so i can't see not getting the 300... i would love to try one of the older 200's , those were like 200lb. bikes, but you're gonna have to deal w/buying an old bike, and they didn't have the magic button, so.... tho some of the new 'magic buttons' ain't so magic .....
  16. msg1979

msg1979 n00b

Oddometer:
    Its not all about the weight. :1drink
    A 200 has less moving mass compared to the 250 and 300. Thats what makes it feel so light :clap
  17. Benduro

Benduro Motorodeo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I have a question from my best friend, who will not get on any forum.

He has an 04 200exc. Just did a top end and when he had it opened up, he noticed the rod had about a sixteenth of an inch of free play up and down. Very concerning-probably has a torched rod bearing.

He figures he'll have to split the cases to change it out but was wondering if, glory of glories, he could get to it through the stator or clutch hole without splitting.

What say you?
  18. PistonPants

PistonPants Crankcase Scavenger

Oddometer:
    Nope. The crank has to come out and get rebuilt with a new rod kit. Cooksey Crank in TX did mine. Top notch work and customer service.

Piston
  19. RCBZach

RCBZach n00b

Oddometer:
    Here we go...new guy to the group, first post, AND resurrecting an already-resurrected thread; I reckon I've hit the "that guy" trifecta. I digress.

Anyway, I'm 6'01" and 225lbs (fireman, not fatass). I had a 1996 300EXC that was a little too much for what I aim to do with it (mostly woods riding with my middle school-aged kids). I sold it about four months ago, and I am looking for another two-stroke. The 250EXC is what I was considering, but then a friend of mine offered me his 2005 200EXC with Rekluse clutch, six-speed conversion and he describes it as having a "woods setup." He's only asking $1400 for it; it's a hell of a deal, but I don't want it if it's not going to be enough bike for me.

The descriptions and videos/testimonials in this thread make me think the 200EXC is the holy grail of KTM smokers, but I'm nervous to pull the trigger, steal or not, because of my body size. Any thoughts?
    Benduro likes this.
  20. woodsrider-boyd

woodsrider-boyd Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer:
    Buy it. That is a smoking deal, if you find its not for you, you would have no problems selling it without losing a dime (or you could make money off it easily on the resale).

The 200 will have no problems hauling you around and they are awesome woods bikes. The recluse makes it even better.

And there is no 6 speed conversion, it comes with from the factory with a 6 speed trans.