!200 GS center stand skid plate.

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by kildala2000, Oct 7, 2005.

1. kildala2000

kildala2000 The GS Store.

Oddometer:
    Hey Noah, :D

Thanks for the comments. Please keep me posted on the installation and how you make out. I'm have a HOLD on production till I know if things are Ok with the fit.

Thanks again,
    Look forward to hereing from you.

Rick :ricky
  2. kildala2000

Oddometer:

Don't worry, I'm sure you can install it just fine. :D

Just a few questions as I am not mechanically inclined and I would hate to screw things up on the fit-doesn't fit.

1) Upon looking again at the picture it looks like two the two top clamps would be horizontal and the bottom two vertical right?
    ALL CLAMPS ARE HORIZONAL.. JUST LIKE THIS PICTURE.
    [​IMG]

2) Do the clamps go on round portion of centerstand or more oval portion higher towards engine?
    2 CLAMPS ON THE ROUND PART (BOTTOM) 2 CLAMPS OF THE OVAL ( NEAR THE TOP OF THE STAND )

3) The plate goes in front of centerstand right?
    CORRECT!! :D
    [​IMG]

4) Any tips besides putting the bike on sidestand? INSTALL ALL CLAMPS ON THE STAND, THEN PUT YOUR PLATE AGAINST THE STAND, START INSTALLING THE SCREWS AND NUTS WITH THE SPRING SIDE TOP (HARDEST TO START) WORK YOUR WAY FROM TOP TO BOTTOM, DO NOT TIGHTEN ANY OF THE SCREWS TILL YOU HAVE IT PERFECT.
    GOOD LUCK, ANY TROUBLE PLEASE LET ME KNOW BY PM.
    THANKS FOR ASKING AND I HOPE IT'S CLEAR TO YOU.

RICK :ricky

Noah[/QUOTE]
  3. namtinker

namtinker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some more tips:

Start with the upper clamp on the spring side. The supplied clamps are flexible, so they can be bent/formed around the stand. This handy at the oval section of the stand.
    Then the bottom clamp, same side. You can actually tilt the plate sideways about 30-45 degrees and it will allow you to get the bolts in a bit easier.
    Now slip the remaining two clamps on the other side in place and press them closed with you fingers. Test that the bolts fit through easily - this is important. Trying to keep the plate in place and press the clamp closed at the same time, all the while trying to screw the nut on, could cause some agitation...:D
    With the spring side clamps already in place through the plate, but not tightened, pivot the plate back into place and press it over to the opposite side. This will bend/form the clamps to the shape of the stand.
    The fit is precise - without forming/bending the clips to the stand, you would struggle a bit to get all the clips in place.
    When you finally tighten all the bolts, the plate is pulled snug - no rattles/vibrations of any kind.

Now if you like some frustration, keep the upper spring clamp for last...:evil
  4. kildala2000

Oddometer:
    Hey namtinker, :D

Your the man that saves the day.. :D
    Thanks so much for the help on the installation instructions. It's so hard not having a bike to try the plates on. I guess I should go out and buy a new 1200gs, right. Well my wife says NO>> :vardy

Thanks again,

]Some more tips:

Start with the upper clamp on the spring side. The supplied clamps are flexible, so they can be bent/formed around the stand. This handy at the oval section of the stand.
    Then the bottom clamp, same side. You can actually tilt the plate sideways about 30-45 degrees and it will allow you to get the bolts in a bit easier.
    Now slip the remaining two clamps on the other side in place and press them closed with you fingers. Test that the bolts fit through easily - this is important. Trying to keep the plate in place and press the clamp closed at the same time, all the while trying to screw the nut on, could cause some agitation...:D
    With the spring side clamps already in place through the plate, but not tightened, pivot the plate back into place and press it over to the opposite side. This will bend/form the clamps to the shape of the stand.
    The fit is precise - without forming/bending the clips to the stand, you would struggle a bit to get all the clips in place.
    When you finally tighten all the bolts, the plate is pulled snug - no rattles/vibrations of any kind.

Now if you like some frustration, keep the upper spring clamp for last...:evil[/QUOTE]
  5. namtinker

namtinker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rick
    No problem.

Tell your wife you need company when riding... Show her the Touratech catalog pictures with the lady on the 1200... Mention in passing that she looks great on a GS... Get her to ride one, low seat, on easy roads - for coffee, breakfast etc.
    The right lady, once hooked, makes a great riding partner - on her own bike, that is. :lol3

Coenraad
  6. ndmiller

ndmiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok pain in but install, but as I am not mechanically inclined it's a huge success. Much easier when I removed Stoplight Sorcerer from front of centerstand Duh!

Took about 45 min and eveything fits although I probably scratched the plate a little and sorta stripped the screws (limited toolkit and used power drill to tighten).

Doesn't matter as I plan on kicking the crap out of it on the logs and rocks leftover from Wilma.

Nice product sent to good tester but bad installer.

Thanks,

Noah
  7. kildala2000

Oddometer:

Thanks so much for the comments and the great laugh.. :rofl
    I've been worried sick that my plates didn't work right and I messed up on drilling of the holes. It's great to know that everything went well and your a happy customer. Do you need a few more screws? I can send you one or two if you want. Let me know. Please post pictures of the testing of the plate. It'll be interesting if it does as well as the R1150 gs & Adv plates, no reason it won't.

Ride Safe,
    Keep in touch.

ndmiller]Ok pain in but install, but as I am not mechanically inclined it's a huge success. Much easier when I removed Stoplight Sorcerer from front of centerstand Duh!

Took about 45 min and eveything fits although I probably scratched the plate a little and sorta stripped the screws (limited toolkit and used power drill to tighten).

Doesn't matter as I plan on kicking the crap out of it on the logs and rocks leftover from Wilma.

Nice product sent to good tester but bad installer.

Thanks,

Noah[/QUOTE]
  8. DADDASHI

DADDASHI REDD

Oddometer:
    Rich,

I like the stainless steel look. What's the price? Also please let me know your ordering procedures.

Thanks,
    D
  9. ndmiller

ndmiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just a thought with the install being awkward in terms of confined space, maybe screws easier to install would be more appropriate. Hex or Torx?

Just a thought as slippage while tightening was my main issue.

Noah
  10. kildala2000

Oddometer:

Thanks for that comment. I'll look into different type of screws but am very limited in this neck of the woods.

Rick. :D

ndmiller]Just a thought with the install being awkward in terms of confined space, maybe screws easier to install would be more appropriate. Hex or Torx?

Just a thought as slippage while tightening was my main issue.

Noah[/QUOTE]
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No rush, but how are they coming?

Jim :brow
  12. kildala2000

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim, :D

I just PM'd you with a few comments.

13. AA5IB

AA5IB Wannabe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Received my RED plate this week. Put it on this afternoon with no fit problems at all. Nice job Rick. You definitely want to start the nut on the screw above the centerstand spring first. You tighten it last though and putting the bike on the sidestand makes it so much easier to get a wrench on it.

Check out the pictures:

[​IMG]

from the back:

[​IMG]

Randy
  14. kildala2000

Oddometer:
    Hello Randy, :D

WOW, that red sure looks cool!! :D Can we get a picture of the whole bike with the red stand? Sounds like you never had a problem fitting the plate on.
    Thanks so much for the feed back and the support.

Ride Safe,
  15. FlyingScotsman

FlyingScotsman Crash Test Dummy Supporter

Oddometer:
    They look good. How much?
  16. kildala2000

Oddometer:
    Hey Flying Scotsman, :D

Sorry that I never stuck a price on this page, I thought I did.

Powder Coated plates are $55.00us & Clear Coated plane aluminum is $50.00us.

Thanks for the support.

Rick. :D

They look good. How much?[/QUOTE]
  17. ketchup57

ketchup57 Fundamentally Weird

Oddometer:
    Looks good - looks bomb proof - how do I get one? Will there be a set available at some point?
  18. kildala2000

Oddometer:
    Hey ketchup57, :D

You have MAIL... :rofl
    Rick.. :D

]Looks good - looks bomb proof - how do I get one? Will there be a set available at some point?[/QUOTE]
  19. FlyingScotsman

FlyingScotsman Crash Test Dummy Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM'd you back. Do you take paypal?

Steven
  20. kildala2000

Oddometer:
    I have one Silver Clear Coated 1200GS plate ready to go. Comes with Plate, hardware, instructions, Postage to your door. Asking $50.00us

Pm me with your address and I'll have it out in the mail ASAP.

Thanks for your support.
    Rick. :ricky

Hey, Flying Scotsman I sent you a PM.