2000 gas gas txt 321?

Discussion in 'Trials' started by bohica53, Oct 2, 2020.

1. bohica53

bohica53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Help..... looking to get a trials bike for under $2000. Found a TXT for $1800, needs for seals and some rear brake work. Seems like $1500 would be more in line. Opinions......I was told by a dealer things this age seem to round out at $2000. If it matters, I live in Pittsburgh
  2. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    When most new trials bikes are over $8000 and some over $10K, 20 year old bikes hold their value. Same goes for enduro bikes.
  3. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Plan on buying a new caliper, and m/c repair kit and a few hours work Sounds like the owner knows this already. The 321 was a fun bike. Good buy if the rest of it is clean.
  4. 6thGearMotorsports

6thGearMotorsports Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If its in good shape. Few years ago i bought a scorpa sy250 for that price. It turned out to be a money pit. I just got 14 txt 250. Paid alot more. But its nice to ride and not put alot of work into it. Might be worth spending a little more and get something newer. My txt i had to do some work. Mostly for stuff i wanted to do. But not a complete rebuild like the sy i had.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  5. bohica53

bohica53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m bad.... what’s a m/c repair kit?
  6. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    The original TXT were good solid bikes (not the Pro version). Unless it's completely trashed, it's most likely worth fixing up. You can move into a newer lighter modern bike, if you want to stick with it and most likely get most of your money back on the older GG.
  7. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    brake master cylinder
  8. bohica53

bohica53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  9. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    I mentioned this bike to Mike Komer today, when I was at the Tryals Shop after work riding. Mike has this same model bike for a shop rental and lessons. He said if the rear caliper is bad, there are none available. Jim Snell does have a replacement kit that uses an older model brake, that includes.... caliper, carrier bracket, and hose for around $400.
  10. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    One thing to watch for on the older TXTs is the muffler/airbox/subframe area. The older model's are way more complicated in that area than later designs. Lots of parts, and some of them are delicate and don't absorb big crashes very well. Once crunched they can be fixed, but it can be a lot of work to fix well. I know because I had to do just that to a friend's bike.
  11. Hoss Cartright

Hoss Cartright 219.474.6657

Oddometer:

The later ones with the wimpy aluminum brace supporting the airbox and silencer (year 2000, 2001, Edition 02, Edition 03) were definitely iffy as you say.

This was all part of the "weight race" (kind of like the arms race but not as scary) Just last week, I weighed a dry 1999 TXT 270 and it was 29 pounds heavier than a standard 2020 TRS One. I think that the GG Pro engine was the single biggest one-model-year weight reduction since the first Spanish trial bikes drove the big British singles out of the sport.

Hilarious that you say that. When I saw the subframe design change for the model year 1996, I was worried that guys would destroy that when they had horrific crashes with the bike tumbling backwards off of big ledges. So I convinced my friend Gustavo in the parts department to have five of the subframes built up for me from the chassis Factory. So he did exactly that, and then I took a brand new bike and did a measurement of the chassis with a tram gauge and made a diagram so that if someone wanted to repair one of these they could either straighten the one they had or buy this subframe assembly from me and cut their chassis and weld on the new one (and use my diagram to make sure everything was in proper alignment.) Now, 25 years later all five of them are still here. I had them listed on eBay for a couple of years for $25 but there were no takers, so one would tend to think that the subframes were not that bad?

20201003_072644.jpg

20201003_072648.jpg
    y4m4, motobene, geoduch and 5 others like this.
  12. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    The advice I sought, and received, when I bought my second bike was to "buy as much bike as you can afford". My first bike was a '92 Aprilia Cimber. While it was fun to mess around on, it was a bit of a tank and it needed some TLC (granted, I paid $800 for it). Mike @ Tryals Shoppe was a HUGE help with parts/advice. I rode a couple of competitions on the Climber and even got some complements (on the bike, not my ability). But, an acquaintance let me ride his then new (2016) Beta and there was no comparison. I sold the Climber for what I had in it (like Norm said, they tend to hold their value). I ended up with a '14 Sherco ST300, which was a revelation.

Moral to my story: I knew I wanted to ride these bikes and should have bought something more modern right off the bat. However, if you're on the fence, then the GG might be a good entry bike. Regardless, there's lots of good help on this site and in these Forums. Hope this helps and you find a bike that not only fits your budget but gives you some enjoyment.
    y4m4, Huzband, 2whlrcr and 1 other person like this.
  13. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I should have bought your Climber. Bummed I never got a chance to ride it, but if I had maybe I wouldn't have bought it. :)
    Bronco638 likes this.
  14. bohica53

bohica53 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I purchased the bike for $1150 plus an old 270 Remington I had sitting around and never used. First thing I found out was it also came with a new set of body panels! It was like, oh by the way, here is a box of extra parts!! Second thing I found out was, and I never threw a leg over a trials bike before, this thing has a ton of compress and I have to kick start it! Haven’t gone that since my Triumph days of long ago! Then I determined I need risers and a slow throttle!!! And it has a lot of bottom end.....And a huge thank you to all for all the info.
  15. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't need bar risers...unless you're 7' tall.
    Huzband, jonnyc21 and Bronco638 like this.
  16. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I thought one of these Climbers tried to kill you. No? :grim

At the time, all you knew of me was that I rode a DR350SE....remember? :wink:
  17. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, the old ones are heavy for sure, and the Pro engine was a major revolution for trials, forcing everyone else to start skinnying up their engines and other parts of the bike.

As for the subframe part you showed and that you still have spares... did I have the wrong model in mind? It was the other parts back there I found delicate on - what was it - I think maybe a 1999 or 2000 blue bike with the bigger motor (the 250 was red, no?). Muffler and air box and some aluminum parts had got crunched and I did my best to make the parts hang in there longer for the owner. I can't remember if there was a steel subframe part over all that (chalk it up to old brain).

That bike handled and motored well. It was heavy, but the weight did not feel so objectionable.

The Aprillia Climber was a very unique bike when it showed up in the 1989 world championship rounds. It led the water cooling changeover of all bikes with its 'brutal' 280cc Rotax engine. I remember talking to Fantic's Agrati that year and he was definitely poo pooing water cooling.

The Aprilia had a strong (and heavy rotary valve Rotax engine) motor and decent suspension for the time. It was handicapped somewhat by retaining the older-world thinking in frame geometry emphasizing ground clearance under the engine.
    Aprillia.JPG
    Unfortunately the Climber never adopted the lower engine placement later in production so it stayed old world in frame layout.

See any Climber influence on the 1990 Gas-Gas?
    GG1989.JPG
    GG1990.JPG
  18. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    If your planning to trials ride and not trail ride the bike... On the bar riser thought, unless you have some condition causing pain in some way because of the low bars try adjusting them forward and back tell you can keep your weaght on your feet more. If you do really find you want/need risers I would get a set of tall bars instead, and even then the lowest set possible to fix the comfort issues, because you will get a much better trials experience if you do. (all about leverage on the bars and body position when riding obstacles)

Glad you where able to get the bike and hope you have a great time with it. good luck. :thumb
    Norman Foley likes this.
  19. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    This was my bike and yes, it tried to paralyze me.

[​IMG]
    motobene likes this.
  20. Trialsguy

Trialsguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a ‘92 Climber that I really liked and did well on.

Due to its purple tank, chunky weight and age (a relative dinosaur) before I sold it, it was affectionately nick named ‘Barney’ by club members.

upload_2020-10-4_15-2-14.jpeg
    DyrWolf and Huzband like this.