2000 Miles through TX Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon on KLR's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by kytntex, Aug 20, 2019.

1. kytntex

kytntex n00b

Oddometer:
    Well inmates, time for my first report I reckon. I'm freshly showered and almost fully recovered from my very first multi-day ride.

We (myself, my two younger brothers and our good buddy Christopher) took off from Austin and headed down towards Kerrville Tx on 3 KLR's and a Tacoma. We had originally planned to include Chris' 1982 CB900c but fate (and mechanical failure) necessitated the inclusion of the support truck. We worked our way around Hill Country for most of the day and stayed the night in Cotulla, Tx to get an early start at the border the next day. After an unsuccessful crossing at Columbia Bridge, a registration issue and the one TVIP per person rule we were presented with left us 2 bikes down. Great start. We dropped my brother's 2015 KLR (the best of the bunch) in a safe spot in Laredo, crossed into Nuevo Laredo and followed Av. Luis Donaldo Colosio out of town without any issue. Headed on down towards Monterrey on 85D after a quick stop at the 26km Customs Checkpoint. Time for a 200km, dead arrow straight, 75mph blast through the 104°F desert, climbing in altitude the whole way. About an hour in the mountains start to come into focus on the horizon. At this point we knew we had made a series of questionable to moderately good decisions to end up here. The road started to twist a little around some increasingly high hills, until the Monterrey landscape surrounded us. Hotel had private parking off the road, we put all the expensive stuff in the truck and went out to find some food. The next morning we were up early and made out way first to a sporting goods store to grab my middle brother a sleeping bag. Then across town and into Parque La Huasteca. I'll leave this post with what we were faced with. This was going to be a good trip.
    IMG_3774.jpg
    I'll post some more soon.

Attached Files:

08StangGT_CS, motorchi and Tsotsie like this.
  2. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In. So far I recognize every road and place you said since im from Laredo.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  4. kytntex

kytntex n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the absence, Just got laid off and have been planning a route from Texas to West Virginia, any ideas on that please let me know.

Picking back up from the entrance of Parque La Huasteca, we made our way into the valley a bit and decided to turn back into San Pedro to hit up the HEB for some food and water. We fueled up just outside the entrance of the park and headed back in. I had done enough research to know there were potentially 2 routes through this valley back to civilization, straight on down the river bed over the dam at Presa Rompepicos

IMG_3778.jpg

we could make a right towards El Quije, OR we could follow the riverbed to the left and land in La Ciénega de González... Or so we thought...

IMG_3801.jpg
    (which one of you left this here? :hmmmmm)

IMG_3775.jpg

FYI there are still trails up on Wikiloc that show the route through this canyon as passable, but we were met with a landslide just a few miles past the junction. Completely unpassable, but a great place for a picnic.
    Annotation 2019-08-25 131852.png

This trek through quite a bit of washed out large river bed rock and some deep sand took it out of us pretty quickly. Between that and waiting on the Tacoma to crawl through the same terrain (praying to not get a flat, as I found out we had only brought a doughnut spare, not a full size...) we were starting to realize we'll be sleeping in the canyon that night. We stopped for the night about 2km short of Ejido El Pajonal having worked out way 50km through the canyon, resting at 4700 ft. The spot we chose for camp was only off the road by about 50ft, but the only visitors we had were a 4am herd of cattle and a couple of farmers after sunrise. We loaded up and were back on our way to Saltillo.
    IMG_3803.jpg
    The riding from here was the best I've ever encountered. As we started to gain elevation, eventually up to 7500ft, the riverbed gave way to dirt and gravel twisty mountain roads.
    IMG_3809.jpg
    We had 40km from our camping spot to the next paved road. After a fun 90 minute pit stop to find a set of keys little brother had tossed out with an orange peel during a break, we were back on our way.

Attached Files: