2000 Toyota Corolla using oil?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by longhaul747, Apr 5, 2019.

1. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife drives a 2000 Toyota Corolla she just seems to love. She is 5'1" tall and her legs are a bit short and it seems to be the only car for years she is comfortable driving and fits her well. We bought it used for a deal with 101K on it and other then new struts and routine maintenance it has been a perfect car. Its still looks new inside and out and drives great at 210K now. Best $4,000 I ever spent on a car and gets 34 MPG.

For the first 80K miles we owned it the engine did not use a drop of oil in a 5K mile interval (amazing). Then between 180K miles and 200K miles I had to start adding 1/2 quart during a 5K interval. Still excellent and perfectly normal. Then between about 200K and 206K miles it was 1 quart over a 5K interval and that is still really good. However between 206 and now at 210K it has been a half a quart every 2 weeks and for my wife's driving about 400 miles.

Car still looks and drives great but the oil consumption it getting high. No evidence out the tail pipe and no leaks on the ground but its going somewhere. Sometimes we get a random check engine light but it resets and does not come on again for several weeks.

I know these cars of this generation are known oil burners. In fact some are so bad they are toast at half the miles we have. Still the car runs so good I would like to at least slow it down if possible and I am afraid the next step is 1 quart every week and if we forget the engine will be toast!

Thought about trying a thicker oil but wondering if any other tricks of the trade out there? Our Corolla will likely run to 300K + miles if we don't run out of oil!
    Davethestick likes this.
  2. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of things you can try and they have been used with varying results. Pour a can of Sea Foam in the oil to see if it will unstick some sticky rings. Same thing with Rislone engine cleaner. Even pouring some Automatic transmission fluid or even water down the intake (slowly) to blast some of the carbon off the valves, pistons, rings. This is assuming sticky rings. There are lots of additives that claim to help here just do a search.

If the valve guides are wearing, Cylinders have gouges, Ring broken, then you don't have much of a choice.

Cleaning the engine internally is probably you best bet for a cheap oil burning reduction.

Remember the instant engine overhaul in a can with beads sold by JC Whitney ? Yea that did not work out so good. :lol3
  3. Flipflop

Flipflop Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stuck open PCV valve can also suck a bit of oil. Pull off, bang around and see if it still rattles and if you can blow through it.
    BluByU and Jack90210 like this.
  4. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to try Seafoam in the oil and check the PCV valve as mentioned here.

It just might be time for her to consider a new car soon and this one is serving us well. Its always one of those things that would be cool if just keeps on going and it will eventually get to 300K or 400K miles. Most die a premature death because they end up being run low on oil and it destroys the top end. These cars do tend to run a long time though if you don't run them low on oil. I am just a little worried that eventually she is going to drive a little more and/or I will forget to check it and that is it.

Been looking for a newer Corolla with a similar deal to what we had but they don't seem to exist anymore. I good clean 100K Corolla's are now fetching $6,000 to $7,000 around here and that is for one at least 10 years old. Anything made after 2010 or 2011 even with higher mileage they want way more for them.
  5. Cogswell

Cogswell Trying to live the new normal.

Oddometer:
    I would dump a quart of ATF into the engine just before the next oil change. Let the engine idle for 15-30 minutes and then dump the oil. ATF is good at cleaning out gunked up motors but I wouldn't drive with it in there on such a high mileage motor.
  6. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may try this next interval which is a few months away. We have always changed the oil since owning it at 100K miles with Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30. Hard to believe it would be that gunked up in the motor but I guess it just happens with that kind of mileage. I thought about adding a thicker oil but this may have other side affects. It still runs really good and has plenty of power. So I doubt its anything real serious!
  7. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    You checked everywhere for leaks too right (valve cover, sump, etc.)..?

If the fixes above don’t improve things, she’s probably just ‘wore out’.

I’m afraid the glory days of Japanese high quality metallurgy and precise fitment are over...
  8. Cogswell

Cogswell Trying to live the new normal.

Oddometer:
    You might want to try a bit heavier weight oil too, if you don't live in a real cold part of the country.
  9. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

wuuuuut ?

it's a twenty year old car with 210, 000 miles on it and it's still getting 34ish mpg, but Japanese quality is no good ?

i would put a finger in the exhaust pipe and look for soot, it's probably burning that oil au highway speeds. a leak of that volume would be obvious !
    mnmlst likes this.
  10. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    (sarcasm)
    ohgood likes this.
  11. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No oil leaks of any kind. Runs strong or at least as strong as these cars run. Fuel economy is still good. You do see a bit of soot in the exhaust pipe but not really any more or less then any other car. The really bad Toyota oil burners have exhaust streaks spreading out over the back of the bumper and tailgate area but we don't get any of that. No idea on compression but it still idles smoothly and runs strong so I doubt its seriously out!
  12. mnmlst

mnmlst mnmlst

Oddometer:
    92 Truck (there was no Tacoma) V6 4x4 MT head gasket blew at 275K, drove it to 301 on Barrs leak sealer til radiator exploded, never burned oil
    99 Tacoma V6 access 4x4 MT frame rotted in half at 225K, never burned oil, killed several deer
    07 Matrix MT 350K miles... never burned a drop (p.s. - the digital odo ENDs at 300)
    07 Tacoma 4cyl, MT, 4x4 250K miles... eats about a half quart between changes, fair compression, many dents.
    2015 Tacoma access 4x4 MT 4cyl... 40K, seats still have zero coffee stains.

All bought new
    mitchapalooza likes this.
  13. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you ever checked out Bobistheoilguy? I want to say without 100% recollection that those are known to have ring problems and a popular and completely “do no harm but might help” option is to pull the plugs and pour an ounce of marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and let soak for a couple days. Supposed to free up the carbon and let the rings free enough to seal again. I have never had a need to try that, just passing it along.

I don’t think there’s any way a Japenese car would have excessive ring or cylinder wear at that mileage. It’s got to be something else. Have you done a compression test?
    Jack90210 likes this.
  14. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another thing to check is the valve stem seals. I replaced them on my '97 Landcruiser and it stopped burning oil. You can replace them without removing the head.
    gen1fizzy, spokester and mnmlst like this.
  15. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    As mentioned above I too am a big fan of the “Chinese water torture”. There are different methods but I get the car nice and warmed up and squirt water from a spray bottle into the intake at a rate that the idle drops but doesn’t quite die. I like to go through about a gallon of water doing it this way. Some people use seafoam for this too.
  16. tundradirtbiker

tundradirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Craigs List ad:-)
    mnmlst likes this.
  17. Bounder

Bounder ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer:
    I think the issue is the tiny holes behind the oil control ring that allow the oil to drain back, they get blocked and cause this issue.
    The fix is to drop pistons and rebore the hole with a larger diameter hole and more of them.
    troidus likes this.
  18. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Summer is coming.Run it on 20W50 for a while,I'd bet the 20w50 is applicable in the Corolla oil chart.Add Rislone to the oil and drive.

New slightly hotter spark plugs if available?
  19. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Rev to 14k rpms and do a few neutral drops.

Sarcasm.
  20. longhaul747

longhaul747 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am going to try a few tricks mentioned here once the oil interval is up. I did buy some 20W-50 for the next top up. Its getting warmer now and I think it will be fine. I have followed the Bob is the Oil Guy forums and these generation of Corolla's are very well known oil burners. They do tend to run forever if you don't let them run low.

Funny story but I had a neighbor who had an old BMW 2002 he owned since his college days. It was an early 70's model and even though he had a few really nice cars somehow he refused to get rid of that 2002. It was not exactly pretty either. He finely had it towed off when it was burning a quart every 10 miles and was billowing and leaving smoke out the exhaust. Still ran pretty good though!