2001 BMW F650GS clutch drags

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by warmas1, Aug 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. warmas1

warmas1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently bought this bike, has 42k miles, seems to be in good condition.
    Clutch seems to drag excessively, it seems to overload starter motor, and the bike wants to walk forward with engine in gear and clutch disengaged. I have a couple other wet clutch bikes, their clutches do not drag this much.
    I have not been inside the clutch cover.
    Any and all ideas, opinions, and suggestions are most appreciated.
    [​IMG]
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on picking up the thumper. F650GS standard or Dakar? Motor and clutch are the same.

Most common clutch issue: mis-adjustment. When you pull on the clutch leer, you should get about 2mm of cable movement before it starts to tighten up.
    upload_2021-8-25_7-30-52.png
    The other part of this is the resting position of the release lever atop the clutch cover. It should be perpendicular to the seam in the engine cases and not contact the case.
    upload_2021-8-25_7-32-40.png

It is possible the oil is causing dragging as well. A change of fresh oil and a few minutes of running the engine will usually clear this type of problem up.

Okay, now to the problems that can be inside the case.

I usually think warped plates the most likely problem inside. Can be the friction plates, but on the various bikes I've had over the years, dragging usually was the steel plates and slipping was usually the friction plates. It doesn't take much warping to cause a clutch to drag.
    A badly worn clutch basket or inner clutch hub can cause the plates to bind and not fully release. I think the easiest way to figure this out is to remove all the clutch plates, then slide all the steel plates back in. If there is any binding then the clutch hub is worn. Remove the steel plates and slide all the friction plates in. If there is any binding then the clutch basket is worn.
    Finally, the earlier 650 engines did experience problems with the bearing on the release lever shaft.
    [​IMG]
    Some more info about the bearing on WayneC's website https://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/ClutchRepair.html
  3. warmas1

warmas1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Motopsycoman. Quite the handle!
    I believe it's an F650GS standard, as it has a 19" front wheel.
    Clutch lever adjustment has not appreciably altered clutch drag.
    I will examine the position of the release lever. I suspected the clutch release mechanism may have been rigged improperly, thus limiting it's throw, but did not know the release lever is specified to be perpendicular to the case seam. Thanks for the tip.
    I will pursue the likely causes under the clutch cover you mention.
    Thanks.
  4. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    A former girlfriend's co-workers tagged me as Motorcycleman back around 1985. I used that handle everywhere until I tried to sign up for ADVrider 7 or 8 years ago. Website wouldn't let me so I morphed it a bit.