For sale 2001 Honda xr650r plated dirty adventure bike

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by oldxr, Jan 6, 2019.

1. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike was built by me for dirt road touring in Baja and other places.Full set of Giant Loop bags.Gas tank is the 6.3 gallon Acerbis safari tank.Scotts steering dampener helps in sand.Top end had a rebuild a few years back and the bike runs very strong.The cylinder was rechromed.I used a stock Honda piston,timing chain,rocker arms,Hot cams stage 1.Bike has a Edelbrock pumper carb but I have the stock carb +a 41fcr for it.I have the original muffler but it has a Big Gun slip-on on it.It has a early xr400 cdi box on it for more advance +higher rev limiter.Bike is very fast +lightest 650 you can get.The suspension has been revalved for a 200lb rider.The rear is lowered with a Kouba link but I have another stock length kickstand for it +the stock link.Plus a lot of other mods.Bike is located in the San Francisco bay area.New tires are on ready to go.$3200 or reasonable offer.Bike is plated in California and it was done before the cut off date. IMG_0565.JPG IMG_0564.JPG IMG_0567.JPG
  2. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nobody needs a bike for Baja or the TAT?I start the bike with running shoes
    Benduro likes this.
  3. Benduro

Benduro Runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb Supporter

Oddometer:
    What kind of range are you getting out of that tank for Baja type riding?
  4. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over 200 but it makes a lot of torque and I usually ride it between 3 and 5000 rpm .Made it from Bay of La thru Coco’s and straight to 15 miles south of Mexicali. The guy I was riding with didn’t want to stop in San Felipe . Filled up in Scorpion bay made it San Ignacio still had 1.5 gallons.
    Benduro likes this.
  5. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Any idea of the mileage on the chassis, and the mileage on the top end?

When you replaced the cam chain, did you go with another 2001 style, or the 05+ updated one?
  6. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Used stock Honda chain and plastic guides were changed .Did not know there was a parts upgrade in 2005 . I am guessing about 8-10k on the top end . No info on the chassis mileage but I think I bought it in 2007 or so. It was converted to a plated bike before January 2004 but It looked like a new build when I bought it . I am a mechanic for a living . All work has been done by me . It’s had wheel bearings and swing arm bearing changed as needed .
    Benduro likes this.
  7. Benduro

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for the reply.

I'm not sure on the specifics, but I read that in '05 or '06, they went to a cam chain that didn't stretch as easily.
    (Edit: probably just forum BS)
    I'm in Alameda, and I'll be home from AK in a couple weeks.

Until then, I'll be doing some reading. The BRP always had my interest.
  8. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike is located in Rodeo . Good luck on your trip home .
    Benduro likes this.