2002 R1150R No Start Help

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Scrubulum, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Scrubulum

Scrubulum n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all. Been reading a lot on here but not figuring out what I need. Hope someone can help.

I bought a 2002 R1150R that wasn't running. Diagnosed low fuel pressure. Pulled fuel pump and found that the pump wasn't building pressure (relief valve opening too early). Replaced pump today and still can't get it to run. I have good spark, injectors spray nicely and was told it has good compression (need to get a compression tester to verify but it sounds decent when turning over).

On power on the pump primes and then runs when engine is turning. When trying to start, the engine overuns the starter sometimes and every once in a while I feel like it hits once, but that is it.

Appears to have new NGK BKR7EKC plugs.

Does anyone have any other ideas of things to check. Having spark rules out, I believe, the hall, kickstand, centerstand, clutch and various other electrical issues, right? Is there any way to check the computer? Ignition timing isn't adjustable enough to matter.
  2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you confirmed consistent spark? I'm not reading that in the above, but the description bounces around some.

Early 1150 models were known for HES to have flaky wiring.
  3. Scrubulum

Scrubulum n00b

Oddometer:
    Well I pulled the plugs and grounded them and watched them as I turned the engine over and they appear to spark consistently based on engine RPM.
  4. Scrubulum

Scrubulum n00b

Oddometer:
    I guess I could buy a new hall sensor and try it but it is an expensive test when mine "appears" to be working fine. I'd expect with it sparking as consistently as it is that it would at least try to run, maybe rough idle. I don't know, if HES is what it needs, that would be great, but I hate to take expensive stabs.
  5. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    The fuel lines inside the tank are known for splitting and failure. Did you replace them or check them closely when you had the pump out ?
    ultane likes this.
  6. Scrubulum

Scrubulum n00b

Oddometer:
    When I replaced the fuel pump the hoses all looked good. I have good fuel pressure now based on the injector spray pattern.
  7. Scrubulum

Scrubulum n00b

Oddometer:
    I pulled the HES and it is the shiny insulation and there is a piece of heat shrink at the plate that is pretty deteriorated. I'm going to order a new one and see if that fixes it.
    Cogswell likes this.
  8. Scrubulum

Scrubulum n00b

Oddometer:
    In case anyone is following this in the future. I replaced the HES today and it started right up. As it has been said before, just because you have spark and fuel pump doesn't mean the HES is good.
    Cogswell and ultane like this.