2003 bmw k1200 gt....

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by AT Rick, Jul 12, 2018.

1. AT Rick

AT Rick wanderlust is a thing

Oddometer:
    found one with only 6k on the clock. clean. some service history. relatively short money. i just sold a 92 k100rs that pretty much made me fall in love with things that have bmw printed on them i think....

anyone have any experience with this year/model specifically? anything i should look for? know about? what has your experience been?

lemmeknow....

thanks peeps.
  2. mikes'gs

mikes'gs what R U looking at

Oddometer:
    great bike ,low miles good price .....get it, cam chain issues have been reported but they have a fix and it only has 6k so she's a baby ...flush brake fluid and drive fluids upon possesion..good luck
  3. andredl

andredl Sold my K Bike for a Deere

Oddometer:
    Cam chain issues began with the 2006 model. Different bike and engine.

The rear main seal will leak around 40,000 miles

The timing chain cover at the front of the engine does not have a gasket. BMW used high end RTV instead. They leak if not sealed correctly. Look for oil on the top of the engine.

That's the big stuff. I had over 90K on mine when I sold it. I occasionally think about getting another one.
  4. AT Rick

Oddometer:
    well....i bought it. my initial thoughts after a hundred miles tooling about on the hway and home and getting gas and such...

1. ungodly fast. there seems to be more power/speed than i'll ever want, let alone plumb the depths of....i don't think you're EVER more than 2 seconds from 100 mph. better respect that throttle.
    2. nimble is not a word this bike is familiar with. heavy, ponderous. these are words it knows. stable. designed to get you from a to b in a line quickly and in comfort. this is what it does.
    3. gd beautiful to look at, it is subjectively beautiful.
    4. it doesn't seem to want to pass a gas station. i don't think this has a lotta range.
    5. very comfy....but you're getting off regularly to get gas so you'll get time to stretch.
    5. heated grips, heated seat and cruise control...are you kidding me? this thing is PLUSH.
    6. those panniers are pretty small.
    7. i think i'll have this til i'm too old and feeble to push it around....see # 2 above.

anyone know where i can get the manual? guy didn't have any of that...hell, i don't even know how to lift the seat to look to see what's going on under there...the 92 k had a key lock/release on the L hand side astern of the powerlet....i have no idea how to lift this up and start poking around....
  5. Karlfitt

Karlfitt Long timer

Oddometer:
    @AT Rick
    I've had to K 1200 RSs. Same bike, slightly different fairing.
    They did make two different sets of bags for those, did you get the small city cases? Cause I don't remember mine being too little.
    They do suck gas, can't remember exact range with mine but if I remember right 5.2 gallons and you're pushing it (the bike I mean)
    I called mine sneaky fast. You were going faster than you thought without much effort. Not as easy to go fast as some bikes, but it will get you there.
    The cruise control spoiled me. I really like having it on any long distance bike I have now.
  6. AT Rick

Oddometer:
    Guy had some contis put on there and they are a little squirly...not a fan.

Gas light came on at a hundred miles...filled up...3 gallons...yikes. that cannot be right...i'll check it out over the next few days.

I don't think the panniers are skinny/city ones....come to think of it, i've only used the L hand side one - which has the indent to contour around the exhaust...the right hand one is probably entirely different.
  7. andredl

Oddometer:
    The gas light should come on around 160-180 miles. Maybe your right wrist?

They do like twisty roads. Press down on the pegs, get the weight off the bars, then lean over and try to bite the inside mirror. Avon Storms felt like power steering...

Edit: The front tire wears uneven. Look for faster wear to the left of center. This will jack handling
  8. AT Rick

Oddometer:

nope, not my wrist....i've been very respectful and a little pokey i think...still trying to sort it out, right? we'll see today...

the tires the PO had on there are some inexpensive conti's....it feels a little squirrely....going in for the once over from the mechanic...something feels a little "wrong"...i think it just might be the rubber.
    andredl likes this.
  9. andredl

Oddometer:
    I was an aircraft mechanic. Rode and wrenched K bikes from `89 until I sold my K13S a couple of years ago. My wife and I each had a `02 K1200 RS, so I got pretty good at those. Don't know where you're located, but it's a pretty time of year on the Olympic Peninsula if you're up for the ride... Otherwise, please let me know what fixes the poor mileage.
  10. AT Rick

Oddometer:
    pretty part of the world....i think i'd never set on a bike and just be in my kayak out in the san juans somewhere....got a few folks i know out on orcas and surrounding area.

i too would love to know what's up with that mileage....the light comes on and it took only about 3 gallons to fill it. which all the way around doesn't make much sense to me...it's a 5.5 gallon tank so why that light is popping off when there's 2 more gallons in there is a wonder.

the PO didn't have any manuals (but the tools are still under the seat) and i've not been able to find one so i ordered the clymer guide for the bike...maybe there will be something in there.
  11. andredl

Oddometer:
    I'm clueless, but it sounds like the bike has sat a lot, so the first thing I'd try is to simply run a tank of fresh gas through it. Put some Seafoam in the gas too. The Seafoam will hurt mileage and make the bike run a little rough, but the following tank of gas will be noticeably better. You could also disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes so the ECU resets. (After you reconnect the battery turn the ignition on but don't start the engine. Then slowly twist the throttle wide open and closed three times so the ECU relearns the TPS range.)

I don't recall if the K12 did this, but K100s had a capacitive fuel quantity probe that would turn the light on early on hot days.

My experience was that doing the following makes a K12 run sweat...
    Replace the plug wires every few years as money allows. They're $60 a piece...
    Replace the O'Rings that sit between the head on the intake stubs.
    Clean and adjust the TPS. Not as hard as it sounds and the throttle bodies have to come off when replacing the above O'Rings anyway.
    The crankcase breather hose is for shit and fails over time because it has a little bit of oil in it which attacks the rubber. It's a PITA to change.

Checking the plug wires is easy. Look for hard spots, kinks from being folded and abrasions. Checking the crankcase breather hose(s) is also a PITA, but would be high on my list. It's #5 in this parts list.

Feel free to PM questions...
  12. AT Rick

Oddometer:

You know more off the toppa your head than I'll sort out with the clymers....the blue max here is going into a bmw mech friday.

Attached Files:

Protour1501 likes this.
  13. andredl

Oddometer:
    Enjoy the ride!