2004 R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Project (and AF-XIED for BMW)

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by roger 04 rt, Dec 13, 2011.

1. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was actually my own personal research thread which was originally in the GSBoxer forum. It was early days for the LC-1 and AF-XIED and the mods got some complaints from actual vendors of supposed fueling mods. As a result they stuck the thread here.

Since I persuaded Nightrider, a Harley-fueling company, to build this, I do what I can to help others.
  2. giaretos

giaretos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really expected at least some kind of support from nightrider but in any case thanks for your help Roger
  3. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you want to ship it to me I can check it out.
  4. giaretos

giaretos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Roger. As i live in Greece it is not so easy.
    I will try to do so next time i have a friend coming over to US. Can you PM me your address?
  5. Gimble88

Gimble88 Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I read this thread with great interest and bought an AF-XIED for my R1100R. I bought a booster plug before I found this site and read all of Rogers incredible posts. So I got a tease of what a richer running bike would be like before the B/P got adapted away.

I installed the AF-XIED today and find that the LEDs don't act as they should according to the instructions. When I turn the key on (start switch in shutoff) I see no lights. When I move the start switch to the run position (before starting the engine) I get 2 1/2 blinks of the green LED and a flicker of the yellow LED during the 2 second fuel pump run. When I start the engine I get 12 blinks of the green LED no matter what position the pot is in. The instructions say the yellow LED should blink the number of the setting. On mine it's the green light and always 12 blinks. With the engine warmed up and the pot full CCW I see the green on light then off then the yellow light. If I turn the pot all the way CW I see steady green light but never green and yellow. These lights are at idle and 2 or 3k rpm. I can't see the lights while riding.

The instructions don't give any trouble shooting information or even mention blinking green lights on engine start. I do notice the signs of a richer mixture when I ride and operation seems smoother between 2k and 3k rpm but I get a hesitation at exactly 4000 rpm when accelerating in first gear with very light throttle. After I shift out of first I don't get that hesitation (maybe because the throttle is more open in higher gears). It's not so much a hesitation as a brick wall as the engine accelerates.

I pretty certain of my installation. I checked, rechecked and checked again. I verified the connections with a DMM. The connections are soldered and insulated with heat shrink tubing. I work a lot with electronics , build a lot of audio and other gear from scratch and have designed and built test gear for special applications. I installed a new O2 sensor from Beemer Boneyard when I installed the AF-XIED because the bike is new to me, has 35k miles and no service history. I wanted to be sure the O2 sensor would be responsive. It's still possible that I screwed up the AF-XIED installation BUT it's just four wires and....

So I hope Roger or someone with some insight will be able to suggest some things to check. I've got all kinds of test gear. Maybe the AF-XIED is faulty. The description on Beemer Boneyard said that the "posi" connectors were included with the universal harness but they weren't. Because I soldered and heat shrunk the connections it would be kind of a pain to get the bike running again without the AF-XIED so I'm not too excited about having to ship it back, rewire the O2 sensor and then re-rewire it when the replacement shows up.

Thanks to Roger and everyone who contributed to the 105 pages, it was a great read . AND the AF-XIED (man, that's a pain to type) has shown me some promise already.

Spence
  6. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soldering isn’t good because reference oxygen for the sensor travels in the space between wires and insulation but is not causing your current issues.

Can you show some pictures of your wiring connections?

Also, the count isn’t correct at key on for Oilheads because the power is only on briefly. start the bike, and immediately watch the lights. The yellow count may be as much as 20 seconds after you start. Please post a video of the first minute after start.
  7. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just went and checked mine. After the bike has started, I get 12 green flashes. Then 25 seconds later I just 7 yellow flashes (my setting is 7). After that I ignore the lights.

This reminded me that I wanted to try higher settings so I just dialed in setting 8.
  8. Gimble88

Gimble88 Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply, Roger, and for continuing to support the AF-XIED. The community owes you quite a debt. That information about the LEDs helps a lot. The instructions don't reference that. I'll go check the lights. Right now. You have confused me by saying soldering is not good. The connections I made are up near the plug under the tank, no where near the sensor. Where are you saying the reference oxygen goes? Are you saying reference oxygen travels under the insulation on the grey and black wires. Usually insulation like that on a wire is air tight so the copper doesn't oxidize.
    Rockred likes this.
  9. Gimble88

Gimble88 Hooligan

Oddometer:
  10. Gimble88

Gimble88 Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Roger, You are correct. After about 25 seconds after start, the yellow light blinks the correct number of times to show the setting.

Spence
  11. Gimble88

Gimble88 Hooligan

Oddometer:
    It's good to know my AF-XIED is working properly.
  12. Gimble88

Gimble88 Hooligan

Oddometer:
  13. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Bosch says is that the reference O2 goes through the inside of the wire and not to solder. That all I can tell you. Search around and see what you come up with. My understanding is that the O2 wire is stainless steel.
    LAFS likes this.
  14. Gimble88

Gimble88 Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Thanks Roger that's very interesting. Thanks for the heads up. The wires were easy to solder but I what do I know? I'll get in there and change it to those posi-whatever connectors. As I said they weren't included in my kit. Do you have a reference for that Bosch information so I can study up. Now I'm really curious. I'll examine the wires from the old sensor and see what I can see.

spnc
  15. Gimble88

Gimble88 Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I checked the wire from the old O2 sensor that I cut off and it definitely looks like stainless.

spnc
  16. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here’s a Bosch video from a google search:

Btw, if you want to confirm functioning of your O2 Sensor/AF-XIED, fully warm up your bike and then measure the voltage at the blue wire with a dvm. It should vary between about 200 mV and 800mV while the bike is hot-idling.
  17. Gimble88

Gimble88 Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Thanks again, Roger. I got rid of the solder connections and measured the voltage at the blue wire. I got between 231mV and 858mV. So, I guess my lambda sensor is working. Nice smooth idle. I can't ride test it because we have an ice fog today and the roads are going to be slippery until late afternoon.
  18. Gimble88

Gimble88 Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I got a short ride in this afternoon. About 30 mi of twisties on setting 7. As everyone says, this is the motorcycle BMW should have delivered - just so much more fun. Thanks again for all the great information.

Edit: Setting 8 is better.
    LAFS likes this.
  19. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The GS-911 is a good tool for checking the function of an AF-XIED after it is installed but you can also use an ordinary DVM. Here’s how:

1. Properly install the AF-XIED.
    2. Turn your key to ON or for keyless press the Black ON button. Wait for the bike gauges to self test (about 3-5 seconds)
    3. Within 10 seconds from Key On, start the bike. (Always do this!)
    4. Confirm the correct AFR count on the AF-XIED.
    5. Wait 1-2 minutes for the bike and O2 sensors to warm up enough for the O2 sensors to “come alive”.
    6. At the AF-XIED white connector, measure the voltage at the BLUE wire. It should vary (roughly) between 0.2V and 0.8V (200 mV to 800 mV). If the voltages are varying above and below 450 mV you’re good. Or ...

Use the GS-911 to display all real-time values. Confirm that the Lambda Sensor Voltages are varying in the same voltage range as above. You can also look at the lambda Control bit and the Lambda Control Factors.

I just ran through this procedure on my bike to test settings 8, 9, and 10 to confirm operation.
    LAFS and SidewinderX like this.
  20. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Install of newer AF-XIED for LC R1200GSA by Leafman60

I moved my modules out from under the seat. I happened to drop the seat to low position the other day and I noticed that the reinforcement ribs on the bottom of the seat were pressed (maybe cutting) against one of the module wiresets.

Since the module connectors are not weatherproof, I kept them under the seat but moved the modules down to the outside walls of the under-seat pan (with 2-sided adhesive tape). I barely had enough wire to make this work.

The modules are potted (sealed) so should be sufficiently weatherproof in this more exposed position. A side benefit is that I can simply look down and see the monitor lights on the modules for operation verification.

View attachment 1453539

View attachment 1453547

View attachment 1453560