2004 R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Project (and AF-XIED for BMW)

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by roger 04 rt, Dec 13, 2011.

1. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check with beemerboneyard.
  2. dwag56

dwag56 n00b

Oddometer:
    Any progression to report on testing the af-xied on the bmw r1250gs?
  3. bmw_rider

bmw_rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My issues previously posted in this forum with the running of my 1250GS has been resolved.
    I stopped using the Caltex service station i got my fuel from and with the first tank of new fuel (BP95) the engine was transformed. Starts first start every time now, hot or cold, runs strong with no changing in performance and seemingly tune like before.
    Using this crap Caltex fuel from this crap servo is likely the cause of the issues & inconsistent running with my 1200GS too.
    Needless to say i do not go to this Caltex servo anymore. I advised Caltex that imo there is dodgy fuel coming out of their old underground tanks. No response from Caltex (not unexpected as why would they admit a problem and/or care) so now i avoid any Caltex service sation unless absolutely necessary to get fuel.

IMO, the fueling of my 1250 is noticeably better than the 2017 1200GS i had. Much more precise, no mild surging at low speed, low gear constant throttle (the 1200 would mildly surge most times) and the on/off/on throttle transition is near impeccable. Acceleration is very strong & linear. I don't need any more.
    Average consumption over 17,000 kms is 4.4 L/100Kms. Touring, hills fanging and lots of unsealed from slow to spirited.

ATM i see no need for a AF-XIED for my 1250.

One thing i am experiencing intermittently lately is mild pinging on acceleration in taller gears. Rolling the throttle on, small throttle openings and mild acceleration. It just tinkles away and the knock sensors don't seem to intervene and retard timing.
    Weirdly, it is a day by day thing. Ride one day, no pinging. Ride next day, same fuel in tank as day before and pinging all day. Same temps and weather conditions. FIIK whats going on other than the ECU or the knock sensors having an off day OR a day off.

The fueling of the 1200GS & 1250GS is very good, easily the best fueling of any of the many bikes i have owned.
  4. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    To my knowledge, no one has tried an AF-XIED/RAM on a 1250. However, one rider on a 2018 R1200 in Germany and who runs an AF-XIED took his bike to the local MOT for emissions testing. Even on setting eight the results were acceptable.

This means it is possible that the AF-XIED will work as is on the R1250 up to some setting.

If someone wants to try it, and has a GS-911, I’m sure Nightrider could be persuaded to loan one, leading to a purchase at a favorable price. I’d be willing to support the effort with gs-911 analysis.

The benefits would be a cooler exhaust, more low to mid range torque and likely better roll-on throttle response. Anyone interested could send me a PM.
  5. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    For several years the AF-XIED kit for the R1150 & R1100S was shipped with a harness that included OEM O2 connectors. Lately I've noticed that Nightrider has not been able to source the (pretty old) OEM connectors at reasonable prices and that the AF-XIED kit for the R1150 is now shipped with a splice-in harness. Just recently, a rider pointed out an issue that he saw in his GS-911 datalog and asked what was happening.

To make a long story short, the splice-in harness for the R1150 needs an added ground connection for the sensor-side of the O2 cable. For those who have already installed the AF-XIED on an R1150, using the splice in cable, you'll need to add the wire (future shipments will have the wire in the cable). Although the units function as-is, they will perform better with the wire added.

Here is a note from Nightrider:
    "As many Riders are aware, the Nightrider BMW AFXIED project has always been a cooperative venture between Nightrider and riders on various BMW user forums. The history of AFXIED has been one of continued improvement based on feedback from Riders willing to function as product testers and co-ordination of test results. General Availability of AFXIED Controllers and Harness Adapters has only take place after successful test results. In some situations, it has been a single test bike. In most cases, multiple riders have been involved in testing.

Recently it came to our attention that Riders using the R1150 Universal Harness Adapter might not have been getting full benefit of the AFXIED technology. Through the efforts of the Rider Community, it was established that a one wire addition to the original 3-wire Univeral Harness Adapter supplied to R1150 Riders would allow full operational control of the AFXIED over the Lambda Shift.

A review of options available to Riders included a New Harness to install or a Field Upgrade Kit. Since the installation of a new harness adapter would require Riders to 'undo' their current install, this was deemed impractical. The addition of a single wire is the most practical and expedient way for current Riders using the old harness to gain full use of the AFXIED. Since this was a DIY install to start with, we felt Riders would be comfortable with the simple Field Modification required. It is also likely that most of the Riders will already have a length of stranded wire and crimp barrel connectors in their tool box to accomplish this themselves. As such, we have created a Field Modification instruction sheet. For the few Riders that might not have these, we can make the wire and connector available through their retail outlet.

We want to thank our retail partner BeemerBoneYard.com, and the many test Riders who have contributed their time to improving the AFXIED for all these years."
    Here is the How To drawing if you'd like to get started. The added wire runs from Battery Negative to the O2 sensor side of the cut GRAY wire. Feel free to ask questions here if you have any.

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 11.26.49 AM.png
    darklight79 and Andrew like this.
  6. masegraves

masegraves Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd appreciate it very much if I could be pointed to plots/data for AF-XiED GS911 recording for BMW R1200.
    I have a 2006 R1200RT that I'm installing the AF-XiED on. I saved just a small slice of data with GS911 before I began the install. I was surprised to see that when the throttle was opened to raise RPM from idle at 1200 to about 17-1800, that the Lambda Control Factor cylinder 1 increased to about 1.18 while LCF for cylinder 2 stayed at 1.0. I'm wondering if this is normal behavior. Bike had been warmed up for about 5 minutes when data was saved.
    log 2019-09-22_1_test2.jpg
  7. m931a2

m931a2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many O2 sensors do you have on the RT? If you only have one would this not explain it only reading on one side and not the other?

8. masegraves

Oddometer:
    The 2006 R1200RT has two O2 sensors. One in each exhaust header.
  9. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s important to look at all realtime values. The difference could be due the tank vent through the charcoal canister. Your LCF 2 did move, just not as much.
  10. masegraves

Oddometer:
    Roger, Thanks very much. I really appreciate all of the work and research you have put into this project. My main reason for the post was to get some help finding the links to GS911 recordings from BMW R1200's with two O2 sensors. I was looking at the data when traveling, then lost the links and all of my searching has not succeeded so far.
  11. Yuza

Yuza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the right name of the crimp connectors normally supplied with the kit?
    Any online source for them?
    Thanks
  12. Mike Figielski

Mike Figielski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Posi-lock and Posi-tap
  13. Yuza

Yuza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  14. masegraves

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Why is there variation in Trim 1, while Trim 2 stays set at 1.03?
  15. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are the long term trims in the rightmost two columns. The lambda control factors on the left are the short term trims. There is other data I’d like to see. If you can record a riding CSV file of all realtime values, not just those you’ve shown, I’d be happy to take a look at the file.

From the LCFs it seems that both O2 sensors are working. Note that when an lcf =1, the ECU is running open loop. The reason for the variability of Mult Trim 1 may be that the canister purge valve may have opened.
  16. masegraves

Oddometer:
    Roger,

Thanks very much. I really appreciate all of the effort that you have put into this project. I've been reading all 110 pages. This chart was from a post that you made 4 years ago (#1534). I was just curious why one Multiplicative Trim value was staying constant, while the other was changing. I thought these were more semi permanent values that only changed very gradually over time.
    In any case I have recently installed the AF-XIED on my 2006 R1200RT and it is definitely running much better. I did not have a surge problem, but was concerned about the lack of low end torque and need for excessive slipping of the clutch when starting out. Even in the short time that I've been able to ride it on setting #7, it is definitely much better. Definitely much more power at low RPMs in 1st gear (and other gears as well). 4th gear on the highway is really impressive.
    By the way, I have a GS911, but the mount for it in my bike mounts the device vertically into the space that the seat occupies, so I don't see a way that I could record data while riding.
  17. Yuza

Yuza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Roger and all, I have just modified the harness as described (r1150gs twin spark) by grounding to battery neg post the grey wire from the sensor and isolating the other end properly with heat shrinking material and tape

I have not yet tested it (it is raining heavily) but I noticed a different blinking pattern

With key on red led is off and green flashes 3 times, then shut off
    After cranking it up, red goes on and green is also on but not blinking, while before the modification it started “working” immediately
    Yellow blinks 7 times (my current setting)

Does this mean anything?
  18. dwag56

dwag56 n00b

Oddometer:
    On my 2016 BMW 1200GSA LC I used Af-Xied with the appropriate RAM-modules (bought August 2018), without any problems. Because I don't need the AF-Xied om my 1250 GS I sold the set to someone with a 2018 BMW 1200 GSA LC. After a few days he wrote:

"Today I mounted the AF-Xied. Was done in an hour, connection is only possible in 1 way, went fine and smooth, plugs fit well. All LEDs are flashing properly, have left it at 7. Driven away for a test (start within 10 sec) and then the fiasco started. No more quickshifter and my (digital TFT) dashboard no longer indicated any acceleration. Stopped, engine off and restarted after 5 minutes. Then a code red failure with fatal error with possible engine damage. This did not go away, even after disconnecting the battery for half an hour. So I removed AF-Xied and drove to the BMW dealer in "limp mode" for diagnosis. The engine runs very badly like a tractor, not above 4000 rpm and feels like only 5 hp and dies when idling. At BMW they didn't solve it after more than an hour at the computer. The error codes were cleared but the red failure code remains and, following diagnosis, several sensors are broken. Even after resetting, there were still 6 different error codes. I don't know if this is correct, tomorrow they will continue."

Turned out that he fried his ECU and it had tot be replaced. He resold the modules to another buyer.

This person ownes a DOHC 1200 and tried the AF-Xied without the RAM-modules. He experiences the same problems, without the electronic failure. So bad running, not above 4000RPM, etc. Leds function properly. I suspect one or both of the modules are defect.

How can one test if both modules function properly? Is it possible to run the engine with only one module and exchange it with the other, to find it out?
  19. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the 1150, remember there is only momentary power to the AF-XIED at key on, for as long as the pump runs.

Regarding the r1200 units, what happened sounds horrendous but I wonder if the second owner plugged the harness into something other than the O2 connector. Properly installed there’s no way the AF-XIED could damage the ecu and other sensors. They can be tested with a dvm.

I’ll see if anything else comes to mind.
  20. dwag56

dwag56 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Roger. What is the test procedure?