2004 R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Project (and AF-XIED for BMW)

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by roger 04 rt, Dec 13, 2011.

1. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Install one of the cables properly at the O2 connector and battery negative. Before plugging in the AF-XIED, start the bike and measure at the red wire for 14V.

Shut off the bike and plug in the AF-XIED (And RAM if needed). Start the bike and confirm the flash count. On “F” revision modules the count happens sooner than on “G” rev modules. On an R1200, wait for one minute and then measure the voltage on the blue wire. It should vary between 0.2 and 0.8 volts.

On an R1100 or R1150, you have to warm the bike up to 4 bars on the RID before measuring the blue wire (O2 control) voltage.
  2. dwag56

dwag56 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  3. Wandergives

Wandergives Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone point me to some pictures of where to splice into the O2 sensor on the 1150 gs? I get the theory from the instruction sheet, but would like to see where others have actually performed the installation if possible. My searches are coming up short. Happy Thanksgiving!
  4. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven’t seen a photo but when you have it apart and need help, just ask. When you get the tank off and separate the O2 connector (temporarily) it will be straight-forward based on the instructions.

And while you’re doing it, it would be great if you could add photos.
    Wandergives likes this.
  5. Yuza

Yuza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_7774.jpg IMG_7773.jpg IMG_7772.jpg
    Wandergives likes this.
  6. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks so much Yuza! Is that middle pic the finished product? That one positap connector that installs at 90 degrees looks like a pain to make tidy.
  7. Yuza

Yuza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes middle picture is the final result, all wires isolated with tape and secured to frame by zip ties
    No worries, it is super easy with posi tap, entire process took me 30min max
    Wandergives likes this.
  8. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yuza,
    Did you see the change note about adding a ground wire to the O2 sensor GRAY wire? It looks like you don’t have one.
  9. Yuza

Yuza Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pics are few months old, I have added the extra ground wire later
  10. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    Simple. But I have no idea how I’m gonna make it look nice and neat like Yuza did lol. That’s for tomorrow...

How much do those stupid O2 sensor connectors cost anyway?

IMG_7141.jpg
  11. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    Roger why does that gray wire just get left unconnected from the ECM?
  12. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The purpose of the gray wire coming from the Motronic is to provide a ground to the O2 sensor. However it is not a ground that can be used by the AF-XIED, which needs a stronger ground. Since the AF-XIED is grounded to battery negative, so is the O2 sensor. The AF-XIED now provides the ground via the yellow black wire because the AF-XIED and O2 sensor must use the same ground.
    Wandergives likes this.
  13. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    Thanks Roger, you satisfied the curiosity of my 8 year old. That’s tough to do!
  14. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    I cleaned up the AF Xied wiring tonight to complete the install. I disconnected and trimmed the adapter wires to line up better once reconnected.

IMG_7165.jpg
    IMG_7166.jpg
    IMG_7169.jpg

I used a combination of shrink tube, split loom and electrical tape to protect it once configured to my liking.

IMG_7172.jpg
    IMG_7173.jpg

All set! Tank is back on with all new internals. Can’t wait to ride it!

IMG_7175.jpg
  15. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    My battery had been disconnected for a week or two (was working on fuel tank also). When I first connected battery I turned the key on and off once or twice (making sure fuel pump primed). Either the second or third time I did the throttle relearn. Does it have to be done immediately when first turning key on? Or should I pull the fuse and do it again?
  16. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to help as friend install the AF-XIED on his 2019 K1600GT. Can anyone give me pointers on how to locate and access the O2 connectors. I’ve got a learning curve to go through in this bike!
    Wandergives likes this.
  17. Wandergives

Oddometer:
    Wish I could help Roger! I pulled my #5 fuse to reset the motronic. Noticed I don’t Appear to have a cat code plug. Should I? Bike is totally stock aside from 1200 injectors and now the AF Xied.

IMG_7181.jpg