2004 R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Project (and AF-XIED for BMW)

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by roger 04 rt, Dec 13, 2011.

1. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Well it's been a bit now since I have had the AF-XIED on my bike. I leave in 10 days for a multi-week trip on the Terra and look forward to how the bike performs.

My bike at the beginning (pre-XIED)

1. Lean Stumble that left me hoping not to be killed at intersections. The bike would either die in the intersection requiring restart or die when I cracked the throttle. Either way it was hella dangerous.
    2. Extreme lean pop on deceleration
    3. Quirky throttle. Not linear and very snatchy.
    4. Idle hunt problems. The ECU was always hunting for optimum idle. It would vary as much ast 250 rpms while it hunted and would sometimes die just sitting in my drive idling.
    5. Bike had torque in first and second gear but was not consistent across the power band.
    6. I experienced surging at speed. The bike did not always do this but if the day was hot and humid the bike would surge at speeds over 55 mph.
    7. With the above problems I found myself not enjoying the ride because I was always worried about the engine stalling at inopportune times.

Life after AF_XIED

1. Lean stumble 99% abated. I still get one on cold start if I take off too soon. But it is now a rarity.
    2. Lean Pop on deceleration. Gone, non-existent, nada, nothing but exhaust note sweetness.
    3. Quirky Throttle. The throttle is now very linear and consistent in all throttle positions. It has a much better feel now.
    4. Idle Hunt. The idle is now rock solid at 1550 Rpms. No hunting.
    5. Torque consistency. The bike has torque in all gears and it's consistent, meaning that I can find that low end torque in each gear. I can actually wheelie in third gear if I want to (I don't want to, I'm too freakin old).
    6. Surge at speed. Gone and the bike performs beautifully at all speeds but the bike really is a pleasure to drive at highway speeds now.
    7. The happiness factor. Smiles from ear to ear. I love this bike now that I have it sorted.

What's next? Roger asked me to leave the setting at F7 for a 1000 miles or so. I am doing that. However I leave for a trip up the west side of the Mississippi River and back down the east side in 10 days (barring delays). I will be trying the F8 setting after we turn around and head back south. Looking forward to being able to try the new setting.

I am still learning FI theory and it's nuances but the threads and articles that I have read have convinced me that short of someone breaking the hex codes to my Magnetti/Marelli ECU that this method is the most consistent means of controlling my bikes erratic electronic and fuel injection behaviors.

Would I recommend this device to my best friend? Yes, without hesitation.
    masegraves likes this.
  2. liviob

liviob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While my bikes lean running symptoms were not as severe as yours they were the same symptoms and I noticed the same results after the AF-XIED install. Setting 8 provides an abundance of torque over stock and the engine uses a lot of fuel to make it. I am now experimenting with setting 5. Setting 5 solves all of the mentioned symptoms with better fuel economy and offers less torque than setting 8, but more than stock.
  3. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because the Oxygen sensors vary, the amount of extra fuel consumed can vary. A 6% shift in Lambda (normally setting 7 or 8) should only increase fuel consumption 2-4%. So worst cast if your mileage was 40 mph, it might drop to 38/39. If you see more than that:

a) You may be riding a lot more aggressively and having a lot more fun. :wink:

b) Something else is going on, perhaps your O2 is worn or tired. A GS-911 scan will usually find that quickly.
  4. Mike Figielski

Mike Figielski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There should be zero issues with the nylon hose we supplied. It is the same type of hose and clamps used on the R1200 Hexhead and later BMWs. I don't think you have any pressure issues with that set up, at least not due to hose issues.
  5. Mike Figielski

Mike Figielski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another thing to check is if the Hall sensor has been replaced is ignition timing. Sometimes owners will advance timing hoping for performance gains or simply not pay attention to the position of the Hall plate when changing it.
  6. liviob

liviob Been here awhile

Oddometer:

While using setting 8 the mileage was reduced by 10mpg so Based on your info i probably have another problem to sort out. I don't have a GS-911 or know anyone with one. I don't really want to buy a 02 sensor and R&R it without being sure if its the problem, but this route may be easier and cheaper than trying to find a GS 9-11.
  7. liviob

liviob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reassurance of the Hose kit you sent Mike. The Hose kit looks like quality parts and i hadn't thought of a internal leak until the other posters mentioned the possibility of it being a contributing factor.

I have not checked the ignition timing yet, but will check it soon. I think i saw some instructions in the hall of knowledge for this. I do have a induction timing light. i could probably connect it up and pull the rubber plug on the right side flywheel housing and check the timing this way.

I did install the platinum plugs you supplied and noticed a reduction in the amount of engine pinging. I believe i am getting closer to sorting all of the bugs out of this bike.

Edit; To end my pinging discussion here. After installing new spark plugs i did another freeway rollon ramp run using 4th. gear starting from 4,000rpm to 7,000rpm and no pinging occured. So hopefully the pinging has completely stopped.
  8. Ray R

Ray R Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just did the same mods to my 2009 1200 GSA with Remus full exhaust (Powercone). I'll give it a couple tanks before passing full judgment, but the first 50 miles have demonstrated the sprockets do what Lennie advertises them to do. Low RPM grunt is noticeably stronger. I have the AF-Xied modules set to 7 to start. I was told they came set that way, but mine looked to be set to 6 when I got them. Adjustments require a very small flat tip screwdriver, and for me a magnifying glass.
  9. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    At the risk of over-saturating this thread with positives, I'll still add that i'm on the 2nd half of the second tank of gas since the addition of the AF device, and could not be happier. It occurs to me at this point, riding the bike for a tank and a half so far, that I can't see a reason for not having this device on my vintage of oil-head.

Quality tuning and addressing any other issues on the machines is still of the same importance as always, but once all else is sorted out (proper TBS, valves, etc) my machine now runs completely beautifully. Previously even when she was fresh off an exhaustive tune-up (by me or a certified shop), it was always just not quite right, due to the over-lean situation. That has been a burr in my saddle for the 8yrs I've had the RT, causing me each year to consider other options/bikes. Now mine purrs like never before.

40mpg on this last tank, mainly around town. That's very in line with what i got before hand. One tank does not make a solid data set, but for years i've been in the 39-41 mpg range around town (my around town is perhaps a little longer than some, or shorter than others....i'm 8 miles of country road from work). No chance for much highway data yet.
  10. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    I transfered the harness and module from the R1150GSA to my K1200RS as the GSA is being stored for the remaining of the season.

So, right after my first latte this morning, I went for the installation of the AF-XIED. Just pop the seat. It'S right there. The longest part was localizing the O2 sensor connector.

It is NOT the two connectors by the battery in this picture.

[​IMG]

So, don't cut those zipties, it's not those connectors.

[​IMG]

It's here at the back, near the welded VIN plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut the two zipties, pull the connector and separate it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here'S the harness to insert between the connectors. It will intercept the signal from the sensor to the DME, and shift it.

[​IMG]

Done. I connected the module to the harness and bolted the ground wire to the battery. This is only a temporary install, so wires are a bit loose. I set the small knob to poistion 6, started the engine and counted the number of blinks from the yellow light to confirm it is indeed at 6. Which it is.

[​IMG]

I will report later when engine is hot.

Thanks for your attention. ;-)

Lee
  11. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    Can anyone post what values are the afr for each setting? I can't find the literrature that came with my gizmo. ;-)

TIA

Lee

I found that. is that correct? What about settings 2-5?

· F1 14.7:1 (stock)
    · F2
    · F3
    · F4
    · F5
    · F6 14.35 +/- 0.15 AFR (2% richer)
    · F7 14.15 +/- 0.15 AFR (4% richer)
    · F8 13.80 +/- 0.20 AFR (6% richer)
    · F9 13.50 +/- 0.30 AFR (8% richer)

I was under the impression that settings #1 and #2 were supposed to be leaner than stock
  13. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Why would it need to be leaner that stock?
  14. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    First, because it was advertized as such. And second because some people have rich running engines and may want to lean out for long distance journeys when 13.8:1 is not necessary.
  15. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:

Lee,
    These are approximately correct. No setting is leaner than stock on the AFXIED.
  16. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Lee,

I understand that some people may need to have a bike running leaner however, assuming you are speaking about he BBY ad? The advertisement actually says,
    "to as low as 13.6:1." That means somewhere around 8.3% richer than stock not leaner than stock, unless I am missing something? If it were leaner the advertised setting should read some place upwards of 14.7:1 wouldn't it?
  17. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    I may have found an old thread during the development process where there were two lean settings.
  18. terryckdbf

terryckdbf Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Oddometer:
    Lee, some of the writings on leaner mixtures refer to the LC-1 which is capable of leaner mixtures, maybe that is where it came from, just guessing.

Terry
  19. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    yes. Possible.

BTW This morning I lent my TwinMax to a friend, and while I was there, he suggested he connects his GS911 on my K1200RS. We checked many parameters as well as fault codes (if any). No fault codes. We then checked the O2 sensor reading at idle. He immedialy noticed that the whole signal had slightly shifted down (one the screen). I was indeed at setting #4. BTW The 02 sensor is 35k miles old and is very quick to react, which explains my superb MPG when riding with moderation. ;-)
  20. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since I'm logged in I figured I should drop a little longer term report in here.

Still loving it! Low speed first gear maneuvers are still sooo much easier to deal with now that the action isn't so touchy. And, unlike my temp shifter, there is no doubt that this thing is still working after many, many tankfuls.

:clap