2004 R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Project (and AF-XIED for BMW)

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by roger 04 rt, Dec 13, 2011.

1. CannonsvilleRider

CannonsvilleRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am new to this topic, but don't understand how the reading for the narrowband sensor is modified. Is there a link for that information?
  2. MassiveLee

MassiveLee Banned

Oddometer:
    You are correct. And it was confirmed yesterday when I did some readings with a GS911. The AF-XIED reads the signal from the oxygen sensor and literraly shifts it. The DME reads the signal as being a lean mixture and richens up fuel.
  3. Blu_Vue

Blu_Vue Nothing is what it seems.

Oddometer:
    Just received the universal harness along with the device for my '99 1100gs.
    Where does the RED wire connect? Instructions say "to 12v", but do not specify where.

Also, if anyone has pics of the actual instal on an r1100, will you please point me in that direction? Electrical diagrams just ain't my thing.

Thank you, in-advance!
  4. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock O2 sensor outputs a signal greater than 700 mV when the mixture as measured in the exhaust is richer than 14.7:1, and under 200 mV when leaner than 14.7.

The afxied is constantly sampling the O2 sensor voltage. Depending on its setting, it's output voltage makes the 700 to 200 transition at AFRs richer than 14.7. So the Motronic sees the same exact signal but that signal makes the transition at a different mixture.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20877761#post20877761
  5. CannonsvilleRider

Oddometer:
    Could someone explain how the "shifting" works? I am interested in getting one for my 2012 1200 GSA, but it sounds too much like "magic".
  6. Steiney

Steiney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It does work like magic but it's really not. I'm no expert but the way I understand it is like this - it's kind of like a set of headphones that has its own volume control in the cord. Your music player or phone is putting out sound at a set volume, but you can alter that volume by adjusting the volume switch in the cord prior to getting to your ears. The O2 sensors are the music player and your ears are the bike's computer that determines how much fuel to give based on what it's "hearing". I know this is dumbing it down to the extreme and I don't mean to take anything away from the sophisticated electronics and all the R&D used to accomplish this. I have no affiliation with the company other than being an extremely satisfied customer...
  7. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock o2 sensor outputs a signal greater than 700 mv when the mixture as measured in the exhaust is richer than 14.7:1, and under 200 mv when leaner than 14.7.

The afxied is constantly sampling the o2 sensor voltage. Depending on its setting, it's output voltage makes the 700 to 200 transition at afrs richer than 14.7. So the motronic sees the same exact signal but that signal makes the transition at a different mixture.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20877761#post20877761

My description above is literally how it does what it does, there's no magic involved. The AF-XIED measures the O2 sensor voltages above 450 mV, uses a proprietary mathematical algorithm, and outputs a signal to the Motronic.

The "before" signal swings between 200 and 700 mV (approx.).The "after" signal also swings between 200 and 700 mV (approx.). So the difference is not the voltage swing, the difference is that the "after" signal swings at a lower (richer) level of exhaust oxygen content--e.g. 14.1:1 AFR (approx.) on setting 7.

The link above goes into enough technical detail, that if you were so inclined, you could design one.
  8. jadoca

jadoca Adventurer

Oddometer:

What is your evaluation?
  9. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Yeah, JVB, Produce!
  10. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump.

With the quality of people commenting on this - I'll probably go ahead and order this.

I guess the only question left is whether to use 7 or 8....

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
  11. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Start with 7, ride for a few tanks. Then do the same with 8 and 6.
  12. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Roger, when changing the fueling setting, should you dump the adaptives?
  13. CannonsvilleRider

Oddometer:
    I have a 2005 hexhead that pulls like a freight train and a 2012 camhead that is prone to pinging. Anyone tried the AF-XIED on a Camhead that was a pinger?
  14. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    I left on July 22 and returned on Aug 1 on a 2,067 mile dirt ride across Oregon, Idaho and Montana; solo and then with a group on the Best of Montana 2014 ride.

My bike is a 2007 R1200 GS Adventure and I left the AF-XiED, which was installed just before this trip, on the #7 setting for the entire time.

Ambient temps 40-102 F. Gear weight 70 lbs, rider 165 lbs. Total wt about 800 lbs. Engine oil: Redline full synthetic; used 300ml on trip.

Type of riding. 90% + off road. From 100 miles on Lolo Motorway in 1 and 2 gear with aver speed 11.2 mph to 70 mph dirt roads. Many long up hill grades [5-10 miles] in first gear and ambient temps 85-90 F.

Observations:

#1 No popping on deceleration.

#2 Started within two revs. Every time.

#3 Engine temp slightly below previous temps without AF-XiED and slower to heat up on long climbs.

#4 Best of all, smoother throttle transitions in 1 and 2 gears when crawling up grades or descending grades on compression. Never stumbled.

I wished that I had tried #8 setting but it was working so I didn't need to "fix it". Very few "rattle" starts when hot and under a load; mostly from my poor use of clutch or starting on a grade.

See http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997064 BOM report.

I enjoyed the ride immensely and in no small part due to the enhanced performance of my bike with the AF-XiED installed. Thanks Mike and Roger for your patience in leading me through the installation and understanding of how it worked. And for Nightrider producing the AF-XiED. Appreciated.

Phil
    masegraves likes this.
  15. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    [Not wanting to horn in on JVB's observations but to add to the mix; here is what I posted on the AF-XiED thread on how it worked on my bike]

I left on July 22 and returned on Aug 1 on a 2,067 mile dirt ride across Oregon, Idaho and Montana solo and then with a group on the Best of Montana 2014 ride.

My bike is a 2007 R1200 GS Adventure and I left the AF-XiED, which was installed just before this trip, on the #7 setting for the entire time.

Ambient temps 40-102 F. Gear weight 70 lbs, rider 165 lbs. Total wt about 800 lbs. Engine oil: Redline full synthetic; used 300ml on trip.

Type of riding. 90% + off road. From 100 miles on Lolo Motorway in 1 and 2 gear with aver speed 11.2 mph to 70 mph dirt roads. Many long up hill grades [5-10 miles] in first gear and ambient temps 85-90 F.

Observations:

#1 No popping on deceleration.

#2 Started within two revs. Every time.

#3 Engine temp slightly below previous temps without AF-XiED and slower to heat up on long climbs.

#4 Best of all, smoother throttle transitions in 1 and 2 gears when crawling up grades or descending grades on compression. Never stumbled.

I wished that I had tried #8 setting but it was working so I didn't need to "fix it". Very few "rattle" starts when hot and under a load; mostly from my poor use of clutch or starting on a grade.

See http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997064 BOM report.

I enjoyed the ride immensely and in no small part due to the enhanced performance of my bike with the AF-XiED installed. Thanks Mike and Roger for your patience in leading me through the installation and understanding of how it worked. And for Nightrider producing the AF-XiED. Appreciated.

Phil
  16. terryckdbf

terryckdbf Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Oddometer:
    Wow Phil, looks as though ya'll had a great time. I had a good time reading about it. Got a kick with the "chain" comment.

Be well.

Terry
  17. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Carry That Weight

Oddometer:
    Phil's finally got a system that works! Better than those other guys' products huh? :wink:
  18. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:

Hush! Those could be banning words!

To each their own and there are indeed many ways to "get there"...for me the AF-XiED proved to best meet my needs..

Phil
    Wyvern813 likes this.
  19. MUDHWY

MUDHWY Carry That Weight

Oddometer:
    ...and I only even say anything because I lived through the same process of elimination before getting my XiED system. :1drink
  20. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, no need to. Go from setting to setting no reset. Just give 'em time to adapt.