1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

2005 CRF250R Rebuild

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Raindog18, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Raindog18

Raindog18 Rock it till the wheels fall off

Oddometer:
    So... after rebuilding my KX65 pitbike I had the confidence I could rebuild a 4 stroke, and as I turns out I can’t at least not yet. I bought a 2005 CRF250R off Craigslist for $550 and put a new crank, bearings, spark plug and gaskets in the bike (copper shavings were in the oil). But it just won’t start after getting it back together. It has back fired a few times and sounded like it wants to start but won’t. What can I check besides the timing and valves? Am I just not kicking it hard enough lol maybe I should stick to little 2 strokes. Thank you very much for any and all help!
  2. pro69ss

pro69ss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did it run before rebuild ?
  3. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any ie engine needs fuel, ignition and compression. Start there.
  4. Raindog18

Oddometer:
    Nope I bought it and the oil had large chunks of copper in it, so I just took it apart right away.

Well it would have spark if the bike fired for that split second, fuel also and it does take a good kick to get the motor to turn over. I’ve rechecked the valves and timing everything seems to be good. Maybe a wire is undone that I missed?
  5. cedric

cedric Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the valve clearances within the specs? Those bikes were notorious for valve issues.
  6. neil w

neil w Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check the timing isn't 180 degrees out
    jake28 and Bultaco206 like this.
  7. Raindog18

Oddometer:
    Yep the valves are in spec. For the timing it’s have the cam lobs facing back and line up the timing marks in the case correct?

Also today I put new gas and sea foam in. It was a little closer but still didn’t. Maybe try rebuilding/cleaning the carb?