2005 KTM 640 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by desmonc, Mar 22, 2005.

1. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Here is what Darin was trying to post...

You had way too much crap in that image script D.

Bitchin' bike. :thumb
  2. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    :tb,
    [​IMG]

how much?? and that looks like a clamp on tower. I hear that you have to use a weld on because of the stearing lock. how did they get around that and are they now available in clamp on? or was it modded to work?
    bling bling:thumb
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    the 05 gas tank is different by a bit; maybe that's all it took? :dunno plus that's an emig; maybe its scotts' tower that has the problems.

Darin, did you change the offset? I hear the KTM really loves the, um, lower? :lol3 offset. What is stock again? 22mm? emig recommends altering the offest, 18mm i thunk. probabaly went over that when you ordered it.

schweet bike mister... makin us all have Great Pumpkin envy! :fitz
  4. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:

Yeah ...and he sure has um..... long ....cables too...
    :hide
    :lol3
    over compinsating just a tad DArin?
    DAmn seamen.... weren't you a Submariner:poser
  5. Darin

Darin WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer:
    Hey....I was a Naval Aircrewman:getiton.....A submariner?? :lol3 ROTFLMAO....No way mister, I spent 14 years flying backseat in the mighty S3A and B Viking, my job was to locate, Identify, track, and if needed, sink enemy submarines. I tracked them acoustically --listening to the noise they omitted and by the machinery noise they produced. The hardest subs to track were diesels --those muthers were quiet, batteries don't make much noise, we tracked them in other ways, but if I told you, I'd have to kill you:bash

Ok enough of that stuff.

Not sure what the off set was, all I know is the set-up I have is smok'in, I can stand up and have plenly of elbow flex.

Darin

6. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    Nuff said.
    :lol3 Backseat huh? :poser ...you just can't win ... :lol3
  7. Surly

Surly surly adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aint that better than being a bottom boy? :lol3
  8. Darin

Darin WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer:
    Flyboys have all the fun :evil
  9. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Yup, mine looks like that, too.

And again.

How firm was that fuel connection? Is it likely to come off?
  10. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    As far as the casting, you guys are speaking about the overall finish of the lever aren't you, and not the depression? (The depression looks to be the area where the lever is designed to break off in a fall, leaving enough lever to still ride out.)
  11. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Yup. Compare with the picture of the clutch lever.
    Nice, tidy workmanship. Indents top and bottom to encourage breakage at that point. The brake lever looks like a cheap after-market copy.
  12. Nom de Guerre

Nom de Guerre Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Bottom boys?" I thought those sub guys were called "fartbreathers" by the surface ship crews.
  13. dagwood

dagwood Banned

Oddometer:
    time fer some of them filtered underoos. :poser
    [​IMG]
  14. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    The comnnection is quite firm but will probably losen up as it ages, a clamp is cheap insurance.
  15. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    The original foot on the sidestand was not much larger than the shaft and would sink straight through sand and gravel so I welded on a larger foot 80mm x 50mm.

[​IMG]

If things get really soft I made a pad out of 4 milo tin lids riveted together, the rope is to pull it up before you move off. The rivets poking out of the bottom help it to grip.

[​IMG]

I also made a hook to stop the bike from rolling off the stand if I have to leave it on uneven or sloping surfaces overnight.
    [​IMG]

I pulled a compressor out of its case and put it in a smaller box along with a powerlet adaptor. Makes it easier changing pressures when going from bitumen to dirt and back.

[​IMG]

The cigarette lighter female and wire came from Dick Smith, the male Powerlet connector from Powerlet.

[​IMG]
  16. Alchemist

Alchemist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I gotta do this to my '04. The backfire is driving me nuts. Already got the Staintune and airbox mods.

PS just for fun take out the Staintune baffle. It sets off car alarms...no joke :lol3
  17. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    I did try it before the jetting changes and the backfire sounded like there was a war going on. Have to try again it should not be as loud with the richer mixture.
  18. Alchemist

Alchemist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mmmm I wonder if they'll cover my '04. I dented mine and was told no luck.
  19. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    Spoke Torque Wrench

The Spoke Torque Wrench I ordered from Munn Racing arived, it is made by FASST, comes with a 6.8mm head and is set to 48 inch pounds (5.4 Nm). The manual specifies 5 Nm plus or minus 1 Nm.

[​IMG]

I checked the rear wheel and all the spokes were loose by at least 1 1/2 turns. After tightening them, 36 spokes at a 1/4 turn each time meant over 216 times, radial distortion (out of round) was nil and lateral distortion (side to side) was less than 1mm which I think is acceptable.
    http://www.fasstco.com/html/spoke_tips.html

Next the front wheel where the spokes (36 again) were a lot tighter only needing about 3/4 of a turn though the variation between the loosest and tightest was greater. Radial distortion was nil but lateral distortion was between 5-10mm in two places, so I backed off all the spokes 1/4 turn and only tightened the ones necessary about 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn to remove the distortion. I followed the technique I use on my mountain bike the difference being the much greater torque required and only 1/4 turn at a time.
    This wrench definitely takes the guess work out of truing a wheel.
    I did not remove either wheel from the bike.
    1 1/2 turns or even 3/4 turns on all spokes after only 3500 kms seems excessive, these spokes must have been loose from new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Trevor S

Trevor S Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer:
    I just engage the bike in gear, roll it foward to take up the slack and then put the sidestand down.

Loktite the screws holding on the compressor together, the cheap ones shake 'emselves to bits after the first inflation or two. I have a strap I use to hold mine to the bottom of the seat while in use, means I can be sans case, making it smaller again. That being said, I am way to lazy to change pressures after "transitioning", and as it's not a race, I much prefer to run the pressures a little harder off road and not suffer pinch flats. My compressor is only used on the 1150 tyres (only had to use on one trip, thank god), manual hand pump (sams as the one I use on my mountain bike) in the camel bak for dirt bikes.

FYI Supercheap Auto also stock the male adaptors, well they do over here.

My 640 is supposed to be shipped tomorrrow (Tuesday) morning, according to Dalby... ETA Thursday or Friday. I will be riding all day Sunday on the Husky 450, so it will have to wait until after that for a try out.

Is that spoke torque wrench this one ?

http://www.fasstco.com/html/products_3.html

If so, ouch at the price.