2005 KTM 640 Adventure

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by desmonc, Mar 22, 2005.

1. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    Yep thats the one Munn Racing has it a bit cheaper and its sold as a KTM part

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=5 width=500 bgColor=#000000 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#660000>[size=-1]Item #[/size]</TD><TD bgColor=#660000>[size=-1]Description[/size]</TD><TD bgColor=#660000>[size=-1]Unit Price[/size]</TD><TD bgColor=#660000>[size=-1]Quantity[/size]</TD><TD bgColor=#660000>[size=-1]Subtotal[/size]</TD></TR><FORM method="post" action="changequants.cfm" onsubmit="return _CF_checkCFForm_1(this)" name="CFForm_1"><TR><TD bgColor=#ffff99>[size=-1]951126[/size]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffff99>[size=-1]SPOKE TORQUE WRENCH[/size]</TD><TD align=right bgColor=#ffff99>[size=-1]$119.00 [/size]</TD><TD bgColor=#ffff99><INPUT size=3 value=1 name=Quantity17881></TD><TD align=right bgColor=#ffff99>[size=-1]$119.00 [/size]</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#ffff99 colSpan=4>[size=-1]Suggested Retail Total[/size] </TD><TD align=right bgColor=#ffff99>[size=-1]$119.00[/size] </TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=orange colSpan=4>[size=-1]Your Munn Racing Total (15% Discount) [/size]</TD><TD align=right bgColor=orange>[size=-1]$101.15[/size] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Add $30 for postage as well.
    It does help and should last forever.
    There are a few others around but I did not get a response from them.
    Excel have just brought out an adjustable one but I could not get a quote.
    http://www.sprocketcenter.com/detail.aspx?ID=509

I am just being a bit paranoid about the sidestand, sometimes out in the bush the "local" kids tend to muck around and if they were to stand the bike up the sidestand would retract automatically give them a scare and they would drop the bike.
  2. Trevor S

Trevor S Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer:
    Keep at 'em, the more that do, the better. Talk with the importer, Chris, a local guy that has a bent rim has been talking to Jeff Leisk directly. If Chris is at our DSMRA meeting tonight, I will ask him how it went.
  3. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    I recently had the Air Box (spinning nuts), Main Fuel Tap (jamming) and the left chain adjuster bolt and nut (nut threads were off centre) replaced under warranty. It took 3 letters, two to the Australian Distributor and one to the KTM Factory in Austria to wake someone up, the letter to the Factory did the trick. Since then I have received calls from Jeff Leisk and the Warranty Manager Craig Brown who bent over backwards to make sure I was happy with the bike.
    If anyone is having Warranty problems, write to the Factory, they take Customer Service seriously.

Customer Service,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    KTM Sportmotorcycle,<o:p></o:p>

5230 <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Mattighofen</st1:City>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Austria</st1:country-region></st1:place>.

<o:p></o:p>
  4. ozadvntr

ozadvntr Planning that trip, again

Oddometer:
    Warranty,

I am impressed by the service I received at Dalby, Craig Brown and Justin Jansen went out there way to help.

Craig Brown is the guy to contact, same wheel, same fault, I cannot see why not. His details are as follows:

craig.brown@ktm.com.au

Take some photo's and Email them to him, A picture is worth .....

I also have had my SAS removed, blew the pipe off as well. Warren from Moto said he had not seen it done before, glad someone else has. The pipe sheared from the boss on the head.

Mick
  5. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    I did a 5000 Km service over the weekend, simple jobs that took longer than I expected, next time should be a lot quicker.
    Thanks Chris "Creeper" Hickson for the guides.
    * all the valves were tight, to be expected as they seat themselves, I set the gap to 6 thou. I will have to make a stiff handle for my bent feeler gauge.
    * a few spokes were about 1/4 turn loose, the spoke torque wrench is magic.
    * The bike has used about 200ml of oil since the 1000 Km service.
    * When the fuel tap was replaced under warranty I noticed that it did not have a screen/filter so I fitted one.

[​IMG]

All the other maintenance was routine.

*I also replaced the 155 main jet with a 157.5 through the hole in the bottom of the float chamber, used a mirror and a 1/4 ratchet with a screwdriver bit.
    There is a noticeable improvement right through the rev range especially above 5000 rpm, the top speed is now 170 kph @ 7500 rpm and it gets there quicker. Amazing, after the first lot of jetting changes I did not think it could get any better, will have to try the 160 main next.
    Fuel consumption increased on average by 1/2 a kmpl after the first lot of jetting changes.
  6. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    And his phone number is
    Craig Brown - 08 9351 4750

The problem with some dealers is that they can't be bothered with the Warranty paperwork and apparently KTM does not compensate them adequately for the labour they put into warranty jobs so they try and get out of doing warranty work as much as possible.

7. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
  9. braaap!

Oddometer:
    cool, thanks for the tip on the filter...

now, about the SLS removal?..... :ear maybe a photo of the parts you've removed would help

cheers, braaap!
  10. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    Secondary Air System
    I also removed the SAS except for the metal pipe and a hose, I first plugged the metal pipe with some rubber but this blew out so I put the short hose back on and plugged it with a bit of 12mm rod.
    [​IMG]

It has cleaned up that side of the engine. I don't believe this makes any difference to performance because I had already tried removing the vacuum feed to the valve and did not notice any change.

***** I posted the above earlier on in the thread - I removed everything except for the metal pipe which goes into the head, it looks like a press fit and I did not want to wreck anything trying to get it out so I simply plugged the short bit of hose at the end of the pipe with a bit of 12mm rod to block it off. Thats what you can see in the picture above and that is all thats left of the SAS.
    The other end of the SAS has a small hose that goes to a T pipe which is connected to the inlet manifold, the other arm of the T goes to the fuel pump. Remove the hose and the T pipe and connect the hose from the fuel pump directly to the inlet manifold.
    Once you get the tank off it will only take about 15 minutes to get the rest done. The only tools needed are a screwdriver, pliers, 8mm and 10mm spanners. You can use a short 12mm bolt to plug the hose.
    I have been riding it like this now for about 4000 km without any problems.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  11. braaap!

Oddometer:
    had seen the earlier pic, but thanks for the detailed info, plan on removing the offending parts this weekend..... in the name of science, like.... :D
  12. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    Fittted the mixture screw, 2.25 turns out, it works as it should, top job Loaded. I also fitted a 160 main jet, the bike keeps getting better and better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    I finally found a Bike Alarm that fits the Adventure - Scorpio SR-i500 - AUD $455

http://www.scorpioalarms.com/

Installation Instructions are here

http://www.scorpioalarms.com/install_instructions_v5.pdf

It's small and simple to wire to the bike.

[​IMG]
    All the Modules are fastned to the bike by Velcro, nothing else. The Main Module and the Ignition Disable are filled with resin.

From the main Alarm/Siren Module there are 5 wires that connect to the bike.
    1. To the Bike battery positive
    2. Grey Alarm wire to Violet Bike wire - left blinker
    3. Grey Alarm wire to Black Bike wire - right blinker
    4. Orange Alarm wire to White Bike wire - Tail light
    5. Black Alarm wire to Bike earth

You can just see the 2 Grey (2,3) and the Orange (4) wires in the picture where they connect to the Bike wires, I bared the bike wires connected the alarm wires and wrapped in insulation tape. There is a earth behind the right side cover and I connected the Black Alarm (5) wire to it.

If you get the Remote Ignition Disable Module connect this in series to the Orange/Black wire that comes out from under the fuse box which is the Ignition/Starter wire connected to Fuse 3, the one in the middle. When Armed it disables both the Ignition and the Starter.

The biggest problem I had was trying to find somewhere to fit the Main Alarm Module and it finished up where you see it in the picture but only after I removed two plastic ridges from under the seat.
    [​IMG]
    So far it works as claimed and the Alarm is really loud which surprised me considering the size of the whole package.
    The perimeter sensor is brilliant, it can be adjusted from a minimum range of about 150mm to 2000mm and the Remote Control is a real toy.
  14. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    KTM has announced a customer loyalty incentive on its 640 Adventure models, extending the usual 12 month parts and labour warranty to 24 months on all new 2005 and 2006 model machines.

"Popularity of the KTM 640 Adventure has grown due to its low level maintenance requirements, making it a reliable and durable machine, said Jeff Leisk, General Manager, KTM Australia."

"With the interest of off-road exploring continuing to grow in Australia, KTM is expecting demand to increase for the KTM 640 Adventure, especially with the extended warranty of 24 months, an incentive we introduced as a means to reward our loyal adventure riders and give peace of mind on those long adventure trips."
  15. Surly

Surly surly adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow. Another 12 months of rejection at local dealers :huh
  16. rob748

rob748 resident alien !!!!

Oddometer:
    so is this for US bikes ?
    my 05 was purchased in june and the milage is upto 10000 miles and the warranty is only for 12000 miles and 12 months so this would be great if this applies to me :D
  17. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Call KTM North America and find out.
  18. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    If you have a problem with your local dealer write to KTM Austria, I did and it got results, they even offered to compensate me for things I had fixed myself.
  19. Surly

Surly surly adventurer

Oddometer:
    My clutch seems to leak mineral oil somewhere and I bet it will be an invilved fix. I plan to get this resolved and not to pay for it like the misc. other stuff.
    I'll go over their heads if they are wankers aboot it since it sems to work for you folks.

In any event I think 24 months is cool. It puts them up with some other mfgs.
  20. desmonc

desmonc Bike Rider

Oddometer:
    Pannier Bolts.
    There have been a number of reports of the Pannier rack bolts under the seat breaking with the fix being to upgrade to an 8mm bolt so I did, going from a M6x55mm to high tensile steel M8x60mm using a 17/64"(6.8mm) bit and an M8 tap.

[​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]

Feeler guage handles.
    I added some handles to my Valve clearance adjusting feeler guages and bought a headlamp as well.
    The long handles on the feeler guages allow them to be bent to the precise angle required and you don't have to jam your fingers under the frame and block your line of sight.
    The headlamp is magic, turn it on and forget its there, where ever you look there is light.
    Amazing what a difference using the right tools makes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heated Grips.
    Fitted some heated grips a few months ago.
    First I had to cut a hole in the grip ends, most grips you can cut the end off but with this pair the wires ran to the very edge of the grip and I finished up ruining a set. I then used a couple of nuts as spacers between the grips and the handguards and a longer 8mm bolt. I also used a two part epoxy to glue the grips on, once I had applied the glue, pushed the grips on and adjusted them I removed the throttle tube from the bars, cleaned up any excess glue and allowed it to dry overnight before putting it back on. The controller mounts on the left handlebar and I wired it into the horn circuit (3amp draw, 5amp fuse, 10amp accessory bike fuse) positive to the blue yellow wire and negative to the bolt the horn hangs off. This was before I realised that there were spare switched circuits under the dash.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I hope this makes life easier for someone.