2006 D2D Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by vegasphotog, Jun 17, 2006.

1. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    yep maybe this fall.
  2. Cephus

Cephus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ...I would also like to do that. Maybe it will turn into a trip.
  3. Cephus

Cephus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great shots all. I got back from D2D just in time to entertain family for the next week. So, I am a little late getting the D2D gallery togather. I will add some more as soon as I figure out WTF is up with my photo software. I think it has been overloaded. Anyway the link is here.

https://www.living-in-a-postcard.smugmug.com/gallery/1578059
  4. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Look I told ya before dont mess with my camera! Im putting it in my tankbag where it will be safe and I dont want you to even get close to it. :lol3 Sorry had too!

76593149-M.jpg
  5. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Sorry for stealin your pic Cephus! I couldnt resist.
  6. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl
  7. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    :photog

(sorry)

GusGus, any word from the Mounties yet? Insurance?
    Really, too bad about your pics-- you had some great shots from your whole trip and I'm sorry if they're lost.
  8. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,
    No camera, as of yet, actually no contact. But they are busy, right?

The pictures will be missed and the camera will be replaced, so don't let your heart be concerned. Life goes on and it is just "a thing".

Who ever is the new owner of the camera has a nice unit for sure, for some bad Karma,,(sp?). Far to large a cost, IMHO.

Great pics every one, I like em all,, even the little native girl pic. She was a kick, made me miss (well remember clearly) my village life.

Her #1 line; "I want to ride a f _ _ king Harley!" I was telling her (in the pic), we only have regular Harleys here. The F _ _ king Harleys are all in South Dakota.:lol3
  9. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:

You should've slapped a "No Hammie" deckle on her rump for a visual aid...
  10. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    The pig lashed to the deck of the Tustumena with KodiakBrowneye strapping down the bumblebee enroute to Homer.
    [​IMG]

Special T's Hog tieing job...
    [​IMG]

Vicious rumors abound concerning a mutt park in Kenai H/D parking lot during a bike show...Yet no photographic evidence is provided. Therefore it didn't happen!:D

Special T gets a new rubber put on at Barbs place.
    [​IMG]

I get mine to go...
    [​IMG]
    Barb, I hope you enjoyed the 'butt! Thanks to you and your folks for hangin' late for us.:clap

Eventually we find our way to the lair of the Moosekiller. We drop off some extra gear, get the Moose and head North.
    [​IMG]

Our first night on the mainland is spent at Casa de Gusgus in Big Lake. Gusgus and Bride are great folks and treat us like old friends, allowing us to stay in their cabin and use their well stocked garage for some troubleshooting...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Special T even gives blood to the Charging System Gods... But his prayer for mercy falls on deaf ears.
    [​IMG]

Special T, helpin' out by waterin' the plants...
    [​IMG]

Sunday morning we pack up and head back to Wasilla for breakfast and a regulator for Special T's bike...[​IMG]

After a good breakfast, and a futile search for parts, our group decides to split up. Special T and KBE stay in the Anchorage area and look for parts for the H/D while Moosekiller and I ride north. The plan was to meet up the next day in Fairbanks. This was the last Moose and I saw of them until Dawson City, each pair were to have their own adventures over the next few days.

The Moose on the loose with his ever present camera.
    [​IMG]

Pictures from the Parks Highway...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Around Nenana we had deal with road slugs and wait for the firecrews to let us pass.
    [​IMG]
    The forest fires had passed through this area the day before and things were a bit smokey. The Firefighters had busted their asses saving homes and folks in the area...They're true heros in my book!

After arriving late at the Turtle Club in Fox and meeting many of the other riders, Moose and I finaly get some dinner around 8:00pm (last time we ate was at 10am in Wasilla). The prime rib was fantastic! Of course there's no photos...too hungry.

I'm not sure what time it was when we pulled into the F.E. Mining Camp. This was to be our base camp for the next 3 nights. Great folks, great location, and great food.
    [​IMG]

The next morning while the Moose and I are shaking out the cobwebs from our heads, the Groovers and company head out for Wiseman. With no hope of catching them (and no real accomadations besides tents), Mike and I come up with our own game plan to ride to the Arctic Circle and return to Fox that evening. We departed at 11:00am.

Within the first few miles on the Dalton Highway we get a dose of things to come...gravel, dust, rocks, dust, flying semi-trucks, and more dust. Moose and I stop to sort out our game plan...due to his limited dirt experiance, we decide that I should lead.
    [​IMG]

We hit several contruction (destruction?) areas. Moving over fist size rocks is fine at speed, but absoultly sucks when your stuck behing the the pilot truck at idle speed!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moose in the mirror...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a quick stop for food and fuel in Yukon Crossing we headed out to the imaginary line in the middle of nowhere.

This was the first time at the Arctic Circle (on land) for me, check off one goal in life met! We reached the A/C at 7:00pm, talked to some German folks that were there, signed the sign, took photos, took a leak, and headed South. total time spent at the Arctic Circle was less than 30 minutes.
    [​IMG]

Thus far our trip was uneventful. By the time we hit Finger Rock things started to get more interesting... The Moose lost his back brake just as we pulled in to the Finger Rock viewing area (about 45 miles north of Yukon Crossing). We found that his banjo fitting bolt on his rear caliper had loosened but thankfully not departed completly.

Of course we had no break fluid on hand and the nearest place to get some was over 45 miles away and closed in 45 minutes. So, as Mike rode to Y/C as fast as he safely could, I made a dash for brake fluid and fuel. I managed to get there with 2 minutes to spare, got the fluid and toped off my fuel tank. The folks there were nice enough to keep the gas pumps on until Mike arrived and topped off his bike too.:clap

After a quick brake service and bleed (while battling skeeters big enough to rape a turkey) we hit the road.

Dog tired, we got to the mining Camp at 2:00am. The last 80 miles I spent following Mikes taillight. I owe him a debt of graditude for guiding me home that night!:clap

Overall we had a great ride to the Circle...We met some interesting folks that day, had a wee bit of adversity and Moosekiller proved himself to be a fast learner and rode the dirt like he'd been doin' it for years.

It's lunch time now. I'll post the rest of the story of the ride to Dawson City later.
  11. MotoMamma

MotoMamma Living Life

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing!
  12. MotoMamma

MotoMamma Living Life

Oddometer:
  13. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    WOO HOO Frank! Nice pix! :clap:clap:clap Kinda different to see me from a new perspective...

Glad to see you made it back to the island in one piece!

I am working on a ride report and hope to have it posted by this weekend. 22 pages, and I am not even to Tok (1st time through) yet. Epic.

BTW, Gusgus just hooked up MooseKiller v2.0 with a kiddie helmet, so we are going to give life two up a try sometime in the very near future!

Gusgus - You are the bomb! Thanks a million! :thumb
  14. beamertwin

beamertwin Paul

Oddometer:
    Great photos and story line.
  15. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:

Cool, MK! :thumb

Try this for the young 'un (bottom of the page on the linky)
  16. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Does it fit?
  17. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    TR...Yep, that was part of the group. Kirby, on his R100RS, had to get back to regular job, so I played guide for the second week of the tour.

FM....yes, we were in Tok Monday evening.
  18. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    MooseKiller:

Keep the report comming.

One more thing that I have found useful when taking the youngins on the bike. I dont know what it's called but its a wide nylon belt-Think kidney belt-that has rubber handled hand holds for the passenger to hold on to. I was a little too far around the middle for my daughter to get her arms around me comfortably so this belt worn outside my jacket gave her hand holds at my sides that made her feel secure when she was little. I'm not even sure where I found it on line. Anyone know about these things? Great product.

Now back to your regular scheduled program.
  19. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Helikron: The linky was kinda cattywhampus, but I think you were linking to a rider/passenger handles type thing. I think that they would help out quite a bit! We practiced last night, and she tends to squeeze on the side I am turning to (Right turn, right squeeze), which feels like she is trying to shift weight/lean to the left even if in reality she isn't. We talked it over and the squeezing was greatly reduced... She did a great job, and we are going to continue to practice! :D

Gusgus: Yuppers! Works like a charm! Thanks!! :clap

AKRider: Helikron was trying a link to something similar, and I have seen things like that... It is something I am going to look into. We're heading to Barb's tonight to do some gearing up, and perhaps they have something like that. Anything that increases our confidence and safety is good by me! I am also considering some sort of communications device...

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas! :D
  20. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer: